SportsWrath

2007 New York Mets All Star Break Review!

Reaper

ATTENTION ALL METS FANS: CALM DOWN EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!

Last year at the All Star break we had a record of 53-36, this year we are 48-39 not a big difference but the Braves and Phillies are playing better so things look worse. We are schedule to get Chavez, Pedro, Alou and Gomez back by playoffs and you never know what Omar might pull off before the trade deadline. Just Imagine Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez and possible Sosa or a new starting pitcher!

We are the Amazings for a reason, remember all we gotta do is believe! :worshippy:

ATTENTION ALL METS FANS: CALM DOWN EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!

Last year at the All Star break we had a record of 53-36, this year we are 48-39 not a big difference but the Braves and Phillies are playing better so things look worse. We are schedule to get Chavez, Pedro, Alou and Gomez back by playoffs and you never know what Omar might pull off before the trade deadline. Just Imagine Pedro, El Duque, Maine, Perez and possible Sosa or a new starting pitcher!

We are the Amazings for a reason, remember all we gotta do is believe! :worshippy:

If Pedro is old Pedro it completely changes things. For starters it allows Pelfrey and Humber to continue to get more seasoning in AAA and it also send Sosa to the pen, where he can be an added addition in that bridge to Wagner. If we want to talk playoffs(which I really refuse at this point)if Pedro is Pedro is Pedro we can look to a very good pitcher not making the playoff starting rotation. Pedro has to make it because he is who he is, ditto for Glavine, but then it gets fuzzy. Do you leave off Oliver Perez and his penchant for pitching well in the big game? Certainly John Maine has to be in the rotation as he has a chance to win 20 and has been the Mets best pitcher this year. El Duque? Do you NOT want him starting a big game? It's actually a good problem but one that could crop up. I suspect inevitably though someone will be hurt and this situation will fix itself. I cannot stress enough what a blessing in disguise it was last year in the playoffs to have to lean on Perez and Maine so much.

As for the offense? Alou? I am counting on NOT seeing him. I have some ideas for whom I would like to see them economically go after to maybe play a 3 way platoon in the OF with Green, Chavez, Milledge and a new Ofer splitting time.

You know, in thinking about this team as compared to last years there are a few conclusions I have come to. Other than Pedro(whom was a nonfactor after June of 06) we cannot bitch about injuries. We still have the big 4 of Beltran, Reyes, Wright and Delgado and emotional spark plug in LoDuca. In all honesty Alou has been the same as what we got from Floyd. Greens numbers are about the same at the break as Nadys were last year. There are three HUGE differences, 2 of them cancel one another out and the 1 is the sole reason the Mets are not as good in 07 as 06.

The bullpen on a whole was much better in 06. Darren Oliver at times kept the team in games and gave them a chance to come back. Heilman was better. DUaner Sanchz was unhittable for 2 months. Bradford was a great 6th 7th inning bridge. What has cancelled this out has been the better starting pitching and better closing by Billy Wagner. Whereas last year the starters were not as good and neither was Wagner the middle pen picked the team up, this year the starters have been MUCH better as has Wagner. IMO these differences nullify one another and should not be a reason why they are not as good?

So what is it? Simple, one word can suffice. CLUTCH. Last year it seemed that the big 4, along with LoDuca and quite honestly the entire roster hit with RISP and especially with RISP and 2 outs. This year Delgado, Wright and Beltran are below .200 in this category, with Beltran having a mere 2rbis in these such spots with RISP and 2 outs. NOw, if you believe in averages, whereby a guy will always do what his average says he does, then you believe that this situations will balance itself out. Last year the Mets got so many of these type hits that it almost had to go down in terms of the law of averages.

There are a few ways to look at this. I do see the starter continuing to do well as they have proven that they can be depended on, particualrly young Maine and Perez. Bullpen? Well an upgrade is needed, but I do think that this can fix itself if Pedro comes back and guys move in and out. In all honesty all the Mets have to start doing is hitting when it matters. If you are one that believes at the end of the day a 280 hitter will be at 280 so if he is not there now expect a lot of hits and a 230 hitter will be at 230, so if he is at 330 now expect a lot of outs then this should fix itself.

We need a 2nd baseman that can either hit in the two hole or bring some speed (and consistency) to the bottom of the lineup and let LoDuca stay in the 2 hole. This is key because the top of the lineup gets on base but cannot get runners across the plate.

There is a certain old man who occasionally pinch "hits" who needs to get out of the line up. He might make a nice bench coach, but his inability to hit a fast ball ties our hands with a roster spot. Maybe they can give HoJo a chance at playing first and let Franco be the first base coach.....

Our fearless leader in Willie is not impressing me, ever hear of a hit and run? Maybe a double switch? Benching you star player for 6 outs to do what? prove a point? taking him out of the starting line-up until after the all-star break sends a message. Maybe that message gets to your other millionaire batters that cannot get their average up above .300

I hope this team catches fire starting in August and can ride that wave to hanging a pennant in Shea Stadium.

We need a 2nd baseman that can either hit in the two hole or bring some speed (and consistency) to the bottom of the lineup and let LoDuca stay in the 2 hole. This is key because the top of the lineup gets on base but cannot get runners across the plate.

There is a certain old man who occasionally pinch "hits" who needs to get out of the line up. He might make a nice bench coach, but his inability to hit a fast ball ties our hands with a roster spot. Maybe they can give HoJo a chance at playing first and let Franco be the first base coach.....

Our fearless leader in Willie is not impressing me, ever hear of a hit and run? Maybe a double switch? Benching you star player for 6 outs to do what? prove a point? taking him out of the starting line-up until after the all-star break sends a message. Maybe that message gets to your other millionaire batters that cannot get their average up above .300

I hope this team catches fire starting in August and can ride that wave to hanging a pennant in Shea Stadium.

I agree with your first two paragraphs, but the thrird I completely disagree with. Taking Reyes out in the 8th because he didn't run sent a message loud and clear. Reyes was embarassed by it and I garauntee the other players took note. They came out the next day and won a 17 inning marathon. Even when they were getting blown out yesterday they didn't show any quit, putting up 3 runs and should have had more, but that goes back the the clutch hitting already discussed.

Willie puts the hit and run on in proper situations, but is careful not to run himself out of innings. Who do you want him to double switch with? I think he uses this in the proper situation, but given what is on the bench right now, the double switch would only be used rarely.

I also hope the team catches fire, but I think a close race down the stretch will be good for this team. It's tough to bitch about a first place team that is 10 games over .500. I can't let myself get spoiled because of one good season last year. I put myself in check by thinking back 3 years to the Art Howe, excited that we are approaching .500 years.