SportsWrath

How many years do you give a QB?

ksm7

The dog would have to agree that hindsight is 20/20. And while I have no regrets over getting Manning as I think he's been superb for us... he just hasn't lived up to the immense expectations some people have of him.

We can argue that we have a very solid QB in place and now we can focus on other holes. And we can argue that simply having a first round pick doesn't guarantee you a superstar like Merriman as evidenced by our Willie Joe, Will Allen, and many other first round busts/averages. And we can argue that you can land some very good players in later rounds as we did with Michael Strahan and the ever so classy Amani Toomer (I don't know what rounds they were picked in but I don't believe either was a first round pick... neither was Tiki for that matter).

Indeed...hindsight is 20/20...as for the immense expectations, both Manning and the Giants organization are at least partially to blame here...True enough, the Manning name put him in a hole to begin with pressure wise, but the matter gets complicated when he pulled the whole I won't play for the Chargers routine - Those that question his leadership can point directly to that moment for support (including the fact that he had his dad do the talking for him...)...and anytime an organization gives up as much as the Giants did, the expectations are justifyably going to be higher then the average first round pick...Essentially the message could be taken as anything less then a super bowl in the near future is a disappointment...