SportsWrath

How many years do you give a QB?

ksm7

I know. That's why when people say, "well, Roethlis-whatever and Rivers had Bettis and Tomlinson" I'm like, "WHAT?" Eli had Tiki Barber... NO ONE had more yards from scrimmage over the past five years (or something like that...

But the Eli supporters have a very valid point about the coaching. I don't think anyone can say that the playcalling has been good the past four years... I always used to say, "Nine yards by Tiki... then six... then thirteen by Jacobs... then THREE STRAIGHT PASSES? WTF?" Huffnagle was horrible, and Gilbride won't be much better; hes always been pass happy since his days in Houston with the run and shoot (Oilers, not Texans, for all you young'uns).

.....the best Eli's got. On that note... Lorenzens has about one more year in my book as well. WHEN Eli goes down this year (we'll miss Petitgout), he had better show us something.

Not to make excuses for Eli either BUT this coaching staff has asked Eli to do a lot esp in the "Chuck and Pray" passing game. Big Ben didn't chuck it as much as Eli does. Rivers works what he has best...the intermeidiate passing game to Gates. SD really doesn't have a long threat. Now take Jay Cutler for example....kid has a rocket arm and I am not surprised to see the Denver coaching staff having Jay rocket the ball deep. Montana never had a rocket arm, but the coaching staff in Sisco utilized his skills to the max. And I know Eli's no Montana nor is he Cutler....but can this coaching staff allow Eli to throw short passes in bunches? The Giants have Toomer, Shockey, Steve Smith and Moss (if healthy) to get those short passes and make it happen!

I've got an idea....since the Giants need depth at the O line position or better yet....Lorenzen can be an H back or a Fullback. :);)

What is Jacobs going to do that Tiki didn't do?

Im glad you asked. Its one major reason Im pumped for this season. BJ is going to bring a grinding consistant 5 yards a carry. Sure Tiki averaged 5 yards a carry, but it would be all like 2 yards, -1 yard, 40 yards. NTM to stop Tiki, you just had to be dedicated to filling the Gaps. To stop Jacobs, you will have to stack the line, making play action, and short yard passes a major weapon. Remember who told ya.

Im glad you asked. Its one major reason Im pumped for this season. BJ is going to bring a grinding consistant 5 yards a carry. Sure Tiki averaged 5 yards a carry, but it would be all like 2 yards, -1 yard, 40 yards. NTM to stop Tiki, you just had to be dedicated to filling the Gaps. To stop Jacobs, you will have to stack the line, making play action, and short yard passes a major weapon. Remember who told ya.

Totally agree here JayD. If you check a previous reply I made on this topic, I said the same thing. :TU:

And I know Eli's no Montana nor is he Cutler....but can this coaching staff allow Eli to throw short passes in bunches? The Giants have Toomer, Shockey, Steve Smith and Moss (if healthy) to get those short passes and make it happen!

I see your point... but the problem with that is when Eli does, he hasnt been very accurate. Lots of passes over Shockey and Buress' heads... lots at Tiki's feet.

Even scarier: the knock on him coming out of college was that he wasn't terribly accurate. So this might be the best we get.

On the flip side, Mc Nabb wasn't very accurate his first three years or so, but he's right on the money now, so hopefully its fixable.

I see your point... but the problem with that is when Eli does, he hasnt been very accurate. Lots of passes over Shockey and Buress' heads... lots at Tiki's feet.

Even scarier: the knock on him coming out of college was that he wasn't terribly accurate. So this might be the best we get.

On the flip side, Mc Nabb wasn't very accurate his first three years or so, but he's right on the money now, so hopefully its fixable.

I feel ya....but are you correct? "The best from ELI?" He was at 57.7 percent last year. I think you're right. :unsure:

I looked at last years stats and Eli had 522 attempts (32.6 a game)

Rivers 460 attempts (28.8 a game)

Someone noted that Eli handed off to the Yds from scrimmage leader named Tiki. And Rivers has the best RB on the planet. So why is it that Eli's attempts are so much higher than that of Rivers?

Ive senn Eli hit some right on the money, and Plax or Shck dropped it. Somethin I didnt see from McNabb in that time frame.

I dunno if I'd annoint Cutler as better than Eli after 5 mediocre games.

I still can't believe they yanked Plummer when they were 7-4 still knocking on the playoff door.

Lot of good it did 'em.

The fact that you even responded to his post confirms the suspicion.

Furthermore, I don't think too many fans out there would argue with a guy who throws 24 TD's per season, has made the playoffs each of the years that he has been named the starting QB for the entire season & has a division title to his name.

BTW, anyone who responds to posts in the 3'rd person definatley has stability issues, or is too full of themself for words to describe.

The feefer agrees with this statement...

I'm willing to BET that you was like 2 yrs old when the Dallas Cowboys won a playoff game. And to answer your question: I've been a Giant fan since 1981 baby boy. And IF you really understood football (I assume that u do) when Mr. Norwood supposedly 'handed' the Giants a Superbowl...didja ever think of this??? Norwood's attempt wasn't a 'gimmie' make. Plus IF the Bills really would have wanted it or the Giants were so 'gifted' or 'lucky' why couldn't the Bills get closer so that Norwood would have had a chip shot? Or how is it that the high powered Offense of the Bills only scoring 19 points?? How the the "boring" ass Giants with a backup QB score twenty??? But since you are a fan, I suggest u subscribe to NFL Network and watch the Giants win in that Superbowl again. You prolly was too young (or not born yet) to remember what really happened in 1991. Better yet, borrow you Grandads 'Superbowls on DVD' and brush up on your Superbowl history.

We can't have fans like you mis-informed. You were sounding intelligent until the last post. :rolleyes::P

That game was not "handed" to the Giants, and I have two words to prove it...

MARK INGRAM

I guess you're right. It's was a low blow to call the Giants lucky.

But had the Giants finished off the Bills to the tune of 52-17 or 30-13 their really would be no need to analyze that fieldgoal attempt which, incidently, happened to be long enough... :D No matter how you look at it, the word "choke" still comes to mind.

Missing a 47 yard field goal is hardly "choking", but a fumbled snap by a "Pro Bowl" QB sure is.

Note the quotation marks...

Missing a 47 yard field goal is hardly "choking", but a fumbled snap by a "Pro Bowl" QB sure is.

:clap::clap::clap:

BRAVO fefifofum!!

Man, I wish people would rally think b4 comin here and tryin to talk trash. This badegg character is REALLY gettin ripped apart! :doh:

:clap::clap::clap:

BRAVO fefifofum!!

Man, I wish people would rally think b4 comin here and tryin to talk trash. This badegg character is REALLY gettin ripped apart! :doh:

I still think he brings up good points... with a zesty cup is empty approach.. :rolleyes:

Note the quotation marks...

It's amazing how some people still blame Norwood. It was hardly a chip shot and that was the best Superbowl I have ever seen. I still remember Hostetler getting smelling salts more than once and the teams were out to kill each other. Maybe it's nostalgia talking but the Superbowls lately just seem boring.

Ive senn Eli hit some right on the money, and Plax or Shck dropped it. Somethin I didnt see from McNabb in that time frame.

Truthfully, the Dog is pretty sure McNabb's all around production was better then Mannings in his first three years...including two trips to the championship game...and all with arguabley the lamest receiving core assembled (who most likely dropped their fair share of passes...)...

The Dog is not sure even the Giants staff is sold on Jacobs just yet - having gone after a proven 1000 yard back in the offseason (the Dog isn't sure the Giants went out and got Drougns to have him be Jacobs back-up while they give him the ball 30 times a game...)...anyhow, Jacobs has a lot to prove this season, and it is difficult to say that he will improve the Giant's situation by replacing Barber...stopping barber went far beyond filling the gaps, and if it were that easy, he wouldn't have had the success he did in recent years...

Truthfully, the Dog is pretty sure McNabb's all around production was better then Mannings in his first three years...including two trips to the championship game...and all with arguabley the lamest receiving core assembled (who most likely dropped their fair share of passes...)...

Much better D and all around team for McNabb. But my point was they both faltered and had high points. Its just that if Plax or Shock or whoever, didnt drop so many passes, Eli's #'s would be better.

Much better D and all around team for McNabb. But my point was they both faltered and had high points. Its just that if Plax or Shock or whoever, didnt drop so many passes, Eli's #'s would be better.

Better defense yes...better all around team, the Dog is not so sure about...and the statement that Manning's numbers would be better if there were not so many drops is just silly, as it can be applied to 100% of QBs in the the NFL...unless you can pull up some statistics that prove that Manning suffered a significantly higher number of dropped passes then the average QB...then by all means, the Dog will concede your point...

That would be a great point if they'd actually dropped a lot of passes...which they didn't.

NFC Dropped Pass Leaders 2006

It's true... Plax and Shock don't drop a LOT of passes.

They just drop them at the WORST POSSIBLE times.

Two guys who are totally un-clutch.

Im starting to agree with you, except for the totally unclutch.(refer to 1st agme against Philly, Plax GW catch).

Better defense yes...better all around team, the Dog is not so sure about...and the statement that Manning's numbers would be better if there were not so many drops is just silly, as it can be applied to 100% of QBs in the the NFL...unless you can pull up some statistics that prove that Manning suffered a significantly higher number of dropped passes then the average QB...then by all means, the Dog will concede your point...

Is there weed in them hotdogs??? :confused:

Silly??? Youre tellin me that if alot of those passes, thrown RIGHT at thier chests, were caught, Eli's #'s wouldnt be better? Can I have a hit?

EXAMPLE: If Eli completed 50 passes(example), and attempted 80 cause 30 were dropped, youre saying that his #'s wouldnt be better if 20 of those werent dropped? :rolleyes:

That would be a great point if they'd actually dropped a lot of passes...which they didn't.

NFC Dropped Pass Leaders 2006

Nice stats tree, when Im talkin about fewest drops, I'll refer to that. But were talikn about JUST Eli. His paas/comp ratio and rating were not that high. If Plax and Shock didnt drop so many, those #'s would be higher. :TU:

Nice stats tree, when Im talkin about fewest drops, I'll refer to that. But were talikn about JUST Eli. His paas/comp ratio and rating were not that high. If Plax and Shock didn't drop so many, those #'s would be higher. :TU:

My point is I think you're putting way too much of the blame on the receivers and not enough on the passer. I can't find how many they dropped individually, but according to that list its not more than 6. That's one every 3-4 games. When Eli's passing 30 odd times a game that's not effecting his passer rating too much. At some stage you have to look to his accuracy. Too many of his balls are rushed or just plain not catchable.

Owens, on the other had, had a fucking shocking year. This makes me happy.