SportsWrath

Brett Myers moved to bullpen

jranieli

WASHINGTON -- The Phillies will attempt to improve what's been an unreliable bullpen by moving Brett Myers into a relief role and returning veteran Jon Lieber to the starting rotation.

Lieber will likely start Friday against the Reds, which had been when Myers was due to take his turn at starting.

Manager Charlie Manuel said that Myers will pitch in the late innings as a setup reliever and could be the closer on days when Tom Gordon, the regular closer, is unavailable.

The Phillies believe that the right-handed Myers should be better suited to relief work than Lieber because of his power arm. Myers, 26, is 0-2 with a 9.39 in three starts, allowing 15 hits and striking out 19 in 15 1/3 innings.

Lieber was ineffective in two relief outings, allowing two runs in two-thirds of an inning against the Mets on April 9 and one run in 1 2/3 innings against the Astros on April 13.

Lieber, 36, is 126-115 with a 4.27 ERA in his career. He has started in 314 of his 363 Major League appearances.

may I ask, what the hell are they doing moving a 1 or 2 starter in the rotation to a setup man and move Lieber to the rotation. I really don't know to either :LMAO: or :confused:

may I ask, what the hell are they doing moving a 1 or 2 starter in the rotation to a setup man and move Lieber to the rotation. I really don't know to either :LMAO: or :confused:

1. Raise Lieber's trade value.

2. Give Myers a chance to work on his pitches.

I think this was just as much Gillick and the front office as it was Charlie Manuel. This is a risky move but if it means they can trade Lieber for the pieces they need come September, then it will be worth it.