18. (175) Russell Martin C

19. (186) Scot Shields RP

20. (195) Melvin Mora 3B

21. (206) Anibal Sánchez SP

22. (215) Justin Duchscherer RP

23. (226) Michael Barrett C

24. (235) Duaner Sánchez RP

25. (246) Lyle Overbay 1B

Your OF is very average. I learned that this year the OF position is very thin, much more so then last year. You did a good job of balancing hitting with pitching, a Ryan and Ray closing combo is very good. You've got a couple of booms or busts on your team, like Delmon Young, Annibal Sanchez, etc.

It's a pretty good team for the first draft.

Is this ESPN or yahoo?

Since we're on the topic, might as well make this thread the "first draft of the year" thread

C Paul Lo Duca

(NYM - C) CUtilBN 163/512 80 163 5 49 3 .318

1B Carlos Delgado

(NYM - 1B) 1BUtilBN 139/524 89 139 38 114 0 .265

2B Robinson Canó

(NYY - 2B) 2BUtilBN 165/482 62 165 15 78 5 .342

3B Hank Blalock

(Tex - 3B) 3BUtilBN 157/591 76 157 16 89 1 .266

SS Stephen Drew

(Ari - SS) SSUtilBN 66/209 27 66 5 23 2 .316

LF Manny Ramírez

(Bos - LF) LFUtilBN 144/449 79 144 35 102 0 .321

CF Johnny Damon

(NYY - CF) CFUtilBN 169/593 115 169 24 80 25 .285

RF Vladimir Guerrero

(LAA - RF) RFUtilBN 200/607 92 200 33 116 15 .329

Util Paul Konerko

(CWS - 1B) 1BUtilBN 177/566 97 177 35 113 1 .313

BN Coco Crisp

(Bos - CF) CFUtilBN 109/413 58 109 8 36 22 .264

BN Mark Loretta

(Hou - 1B,2B) 1B2BUtilBN 181/635 75 181 5 59 4 .285

BN --empty-- - - - - - - -

DL --empty-- - - - - - - -

Pitching

Pos Edit Pitchers Edit Opp Status IP W SV K ERA WHIP

SP Jered Weaver

(LAA - SP) SPPBN 123.0 11 0 105 2.56 1.03

SP Erik Bedard

(Bal - SP) SPPBN 196.1 15 0 171 3.76 1.35

RP Trevor Hoffman

(SD - RP) RPPBN 63.0 0 46 50 2.14 0.97

RP Chris Ray

(Bal - RP) RPPBN 66.0 4 33 51 2.73 1.09

P Chien-Ming Wang

(NYY - SP) SPPBN 218.0 19 1 76 3.63 1.31

P Ted Lilly

(ChC - SP) SPPBN 181.2 15 0 160 4.31 1.43

P Tom Glavine

(NYM - SP) SPPBN 198.0 15 0 131 3.82 1.33

BN Nate Robertson

(Det - SP) SPPBN 208.2 13 0 137 3.84 1.31

BN Jason Jennings

(Hou - SP) SPPBN 212.0 9 0 142 3.78 1.37

BN Greg Maddux

(SD - SP) SPPBN 210.0 15 0 117 4.20 1.22

BN --empty-- - - - - - -

DL --empty-- - - - - - -

Note** I just traded Vlad and Bedard for Kazmir and Crawford. I wanted to get some speed and Bedard with Kazmir is a virtual wash, with me getting more potential for great numbers but also injuries. Risk worth taking IMO.

10 person league

thoughts?

Round Pick Player Position

1. (6) Ryan Howard 1B

2. (15) Miguel Cabrera 3B

3. (26) Roy Oswalt SP

4. (35) Vernon Wells OF

5. (46) Chone Figgins 2B,3B,OF

6. (55) B.J. Ryan RP

7. (66) Bill Hall 3B,SS

8. (75) Chris Ray RP

9. (86) Corey Patterson OF

10. (95) Justin Verlander SP

11. (106) Brian Fuentes RP

12. (115) Delmon Young OF

13. (126) Nick Swisher 1B,OF

14. (135) Erik Bedard SP

15. (146) Chris Capuano SP

16. (155) Chad Tracy 3B

17. (166) Jon Garland SP

18. (175) Russell Martin C

19. (186) Scot Shields RP

20. (195) Melvin Mora 3B

21. (206) Anibal Sánchez SP

22. (215) Justin Duchscherer RP

23. (226) Michael Barrett C

24. (235) Duaner Sánchez RP

25. (246) Lyle Overbay 1B

C-Michael Barrett

1b-Ryan Howard

2b-Chone Figgins

SS-Bill Hall

3b-Miguel Cabrera

OF-Vernon Wells

OF-Corey Patterson

OF-Delmon Young

UTIL-Nick Swisher

Bench-Chad Tracy

Bench-Russell Martin

Bench-Melvin Mora

Bench-Lyle Overbay

That's a pretty strong offense...it's amazing that you got Michael Barrett in the 23rd round...that just doesn't make sense. You have a fair amount of power with Howard, Cabrera, and Wells...all of who should improve on their HR numbers from last season. I don't really like Hall's strikeouts from last season and he's only valuable so long as he's a shortstop but for this year he should give you good power numbers on a secretly good Brewers offense. You're reaching a bit in the outfield with Patterson and Young...Young could pan out but Patterson is also a guy I just don't like. But hey, you at least have good speed and a great backup catcher, whether you start Martin or Barrett. Mora, Overbay, and Tracy are all worthless in my mind but that's because when I have to resort to players like them I choose youth instead. But hey, the bench can always be strengthened midseason.

SP-Roy Oswalt

SP-Justin Verlander

RP-B.J. Ryan

RP-Chris Ray

P-Brian Fuentes

P-Scot Shields

P-Justin Duchscherer

Bench-Erik Bedard

Bench-Chris Capuano

Bench-Jon Garland

Bench-Anibal Sanchez

Bench-Duaner Sanchez

A solid number one in Oswalt but Verlander might have some troubles this year with his workload from last year. Ryan should be incredible plus you have a couple of other solid closers and one of the best MR in the game in Scot Shields. Good Ks in your rotation but a couple of guys are of the don't be afraid to drop variety.

Overall you have a solid framework for your team but I think some of the bench options can be strengthened. There's a lot of talent in baseball this season...so many young guys.

8 player league, just drafted now (3rd pick):

santana

wright

hafner

sizemore

michael young

derrek lee

halladay

nathan

rivera

hoffman

street

jenks

pierre

patterson

verlander

delgado

magglio ordonez

barfield

pudge

taveras

harden

bonds

martin

zito

freddy sanchez

after having high round SPs blow up in my face 2 years in a row and destroy my team's chances in my money league i was determined to not spend any high round picks on SPs not named santana. instead i planned on getting 5 can't miss closers to keep my era and whip down, let the other managers take all the starting pitching risks, and then trade closers for starters with the idea being that accumulation stats like wins and k's are easier to improve on in the middle of the season than era and whip. this was just a practice draft, the rael draft is sunday and will be with 12 players, so i doubt i'll put together a lineup this good but i will still go after big hitters and closers first unless i get santana in round 1 or halladay/oswalt drops

i think hall's still valuable if he loses his ss eligibility. 3b is really weak this year.

jets, why did you draft 2 middle relievers? do holds count?

Well, third base could be a lot worse. It has a lot of solid top 20 picks in Rodriguez, Wright, Cabrera, Ramirez, and the sleeper Garret Atkins who quietly hit 29 HRs last year with a .329 BA and 120 RBIs. With a healthy Helton, he could be better. Chipper Jones and Scott Rolen aren't worthless yet and can provide a ton of production when healthy. There's a lot of power in Beltre, Crede, a better Blalock, maybe not so much Eric Chavez, and Aubrey Huff back in the Al East with a cushy Orioles lineup around him. Also, a lot of potential in Alex Gordon in Kansas City who is the number one hitting prospect in all of baseball. I was wondering about the MR myself...I'm sure you could snag a good starter off waiver wires.

i think hall's still valuable if he loses his ss eligibility. 3b is really weak this year.

Well, third base could be a lot worse. It has a lot of solid top 20 picks in Rodriguez, Wright, Cabrera, Ramirez, and the sleeper Garret Atkins who quietly hit 29 HRs last year with a .329 BA and 120 RBIs. With a healthy Helton, he could be better. Chipper Jones and Scott Rolen aren't worthless yet and can provide a ton of production when healthy. There's a lot of power in Beltre, Crede, a better Blalock, maybe not so much Eric Chavez, and Aubrey Huff back in the Al East with a cushy Orioles lineup around him. Also, a lot of potential in Alex Gordon in Kansas City who is the number one hitting prospect in all of baseball. I was wondering about the MR myself...I'm sure you could snag a good starter off waiver wires.

Suprisingly, Aramis has falled out of the 4th round in both my drafts. People are looking over 3b and taking pitchers early along with the OF. Can't blame them. Good pitchers are a necessity and needed to be taken early, and the OF has gotten thin this year. 3b and 2b is pretty hard this year too.

Suprisingly, Aramis has falled out of the 4th round in both my drafts. People are looking over 3b and taking pitchers early along with the OF. Can't blame them. Good pitchers are a necessity and needed to be taken early, and the OF has gotten thin this year. 3b and 2b is pretty hard this year too.

Maybe this is the optimist in me, who doesn't really belong, but I see second base being stronger than usual as well. Of course no one matches Chase Utley and there's a bit of a dropoff after him but you can't go wrong with who comes next. Second base probably has the biggest dropoff but that doesn't mean that there's any kind of drop in talent with the likes of Cano and Freddy Sanchez, 30+ SB players like Felipe Lopez, Brian Roberts, Ryan Freel, and Julio Lugo who has second base eligibility. Rickie Weeks should be healthy and can offer 15/30 production from the top of the Brewer's order. Okay, fine, I admit things get a bit drier as you go on but there's still a chance for a good mix of speed and power in a lot of players. There are a ton of 10/10 guys at least and a lot of potential in guys like Kendrick (.361 MiLB BA) and Kelly Johnson of the Braves and you could try and strike gold with an uninjured Kent or Vidro who will be DHing in Seattle. I say, don't be afraid to gobble up the best second basemen because the good ones go fast and it is probably the weakest position this year. Shortstop has improved by leaps and bounds though, that's one less position to worry about.

Maybe this is the optimist in me, who doesn't really belong, but I see second base being stronger than usual as well. Of course no one matches Chase Utley and there's a bit of a dropoff after him but you can't go wrong with who comes next. Second base probably has the biggest dropoff but that doesn't mean that there's any kind of drop in talent with the likes of Cano and Freddy Sanchez, 30+ SB players like Felipe Lopez, Brian Roberts, Ryan Freel, and Julio Lugo who has second base eligibility. Rickie Weeks should be healthy and can offer 15/30 production from the top of the Brewer's order. Okay, fine, I admit things get a bit drier as you go on but there's still a chance for a good mix of speed and power in a lot of players. There are a ton of 10/10 guys at least and a lot of potential in guys like Kendrick (.361 MiLB BA) and Kelly Johnson of the Braves and you could try and strike gold with an uninjured Kent or Vidro who will be DHing in Seattle. I say, don't be afraid to gobble up the best second basemen because the good ones go fast and it is probably the weakest position this year. Shortstop has improved by leaps and bounds though, that's one less position to worry about.

yeah, i was vey pleased when I saw Utley had fallen to my slot in the 2nd round. I grabbed him immediately.

Yahoo rated Freddy extremely low. That was surprising.

Holds don't count, but I like to have middle relievers to fill the P spots if I don't have a pitcher who is starting. I tend to draft terrible pitching, and every scoreless inning helps. Plus, with Duchscherer, there's a good chance Street will get injured (again).

That's a pretty strong offense...it's amazing that you got Michael Barrett in the 23rd round...that just doesn't make sense. You have a fair amount of power with Howard, Cabrera, and Wells...all of who should improve on their HR numbers from last season. I don't really like Hall's strikeouts from last season and he's only valuable so long as he's a shortstop but for this year he should give you good power numbers on a secretly good Brewers offense. You're reaching a bit in the outfield with Patterson and Young...Young could pan out but Patterson is also a guy I just don't like. But hey, you at least have good speed and a great backup catcher, whether you start Martin or Barrett. Mora, Overbay, and Tracy are all worthless in my mind but that's because when I have to resort to players like them I choose youth instead. But hey, the bench can always be strengthened midseason.

A solid number one in Oswalt but Verlander might have some troubles this year with his workload from last year. Ryan should be incredible plus you have a couple of other solid closers and one of the best MR in the game in Scot Shields. Good Ks in your rotation but a couple of guys are of the don't be afraid to drop variety.

Overall you have a solid framework for your team but I think some of the bench options can be strengthened. There's a lot of talent in baseball this season...so many young guys.

The fact that I got Barrett in the 23rd round pissed me off. Catchers had gone on a fast run all of the sudden, so I jumped in and grabbed Martin, just for no more catchers to go until rounds 23, 24, and 25. I could have better spent that pick. Hall's K:BB is discouraging, but the categories are R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, so it wouldn't directly affect me unless he slumps bad. I needed to do something for shortstop. My outfield is complete ass, too. I didn't realize how shallow it was this year, or so it seems. I'm considering benching Young or Patterson to start the year and moving Swisher to OF and DHing Barrett/Martin or Overbay. I thought Overbay was good value in the 25th round as a .312 22 HR 96 RBI guy. Mora I don't like either, but it was basically between him, Youkilis, and Helton. Not fan of any of the three, will probably trade or cut him before it's too far into the season. As far as Chad Tracy goes, I'm a fan of him, don't really know why. Didn't realize how bad of a year he had last year. Hoping he can rebound, but I'm likely going to move him too, for a back up shortstop (Hall is my only one). If I were to get rid of Mora or Tracy BEFORE the season started, who should go first?

My rotation of flips around a lot with the exception of a few guys, although its the first time in about 3 years that I've been confident with my pitching results in the draft.

Holds don't count, but I like to have middle relievers to fill the P spots if I don't have a pitcher who is starting. I tend to draft terrible pitching, and every scoreless inning helps. Plus, with Duchscherer, there's a good chance Street will get injured (again).

Hey, why is there a good chance? Street pitched much better than his ERA advertised last year when he was pitching...he still finished with a line of 70.2 IP in 69 games, 37 saves (tied for 2nd in the majors), 67 Ks, a 1.09 WHIP, .238 BAA, and a 3.31 era that should be significantly lowered. That's a damn good season, even for one marred with injuries. All that said, Duchscherer is still one of the better middle relievers to have...not onyl because of injury risks but he's one of the better MR who will steal a good deal of wins and saves. There's no way in hell that Chase Utley, far and away the best second baseman in the game, should fall to the second round...but hey, better for you. Freddy Sanchez is damn good but he doesn't do much else. He has a good batting eye and good ability to take walks...that's it...now if only he could run. All in all though, the Pirates offense is stronger with the addition of LaRoche and that could at least help with R production. As for Helton, he's worth a try...consider that you're arguing with yourself over the merits of Mora, Tracy, Youkilis, and Helton...I think Helton's a no brainer. No player really offers much in the way of position versatility. Mora will steal you a couple more bases but he is battling for time in a crowded Orioles lineup with Millar, Gibbons, Huff, Payton, and Patterson. Youkilis will walk, not much more. Your best choices are Helton and Tracy, both on strong young offenses. Thing is, the pitching means nothing, so Tracy vs. Helton. I see Helton as a better choice because if you stick him in, he won't hurt you. Helton at least can hit for average, doesn't strike out, takes walks, and seems stronger this spring. I think that he has a lot to prove after this offseason and he'll be playing to the best of his ability. He's also clear of said injuries that have nagged him. But hey, this is your disposable roster spot, do with it what you will.