SportsWrath

Rollins at it again.

Blue Jeans

According to Todd Zolecki of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins is not only standing by what he said previously about the NL East, he's adding on to it.

Rollins said Tuesday:

"We're the team to beat. I can't put it any other way ... Look at our team and what we're bringing. Look at the improvements we've made. You look at the rest of the division.

"If they needed motivation to play this game, then they are playing the wrong game ... The Mets had a chance last year to go to the World Series. They made it to the playoffs. They won the division. Congratulations, but last year is over. They can take that any way they want, but I'm just stating a fact.

"Their staff is a little older. We've seen those guys. It's going to be a battle, but we have the edge. Youth. Our pitchers are more intimidating than their pitchers. Last year, they had Pedro (Martinez) and (Tom) Glavine - you know he's going to find a way to win. You know he's still going to do that. But the youth and attitude of our pitchers gives us the edge."

Wright was quick to respond

At his blog for the Daily News, Adam Rubin relays David Wright's reaction to Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins's latest comments.

Rubin quotes Wright as saying:

“If that’s Jimmy’s way of motivating the team, then that’s his choice. That’s something you’re not going to find around here.

“We don’t need any motivation. We go out there and we’re going to take care of business. We have the type of veteran leadership that isn’t going to talk about it. We’re going to go out there and back it up.”

I think Rollins should keep his mouth shut, just because their pitchers are younger does not give them an edge. Myers is good and Cole Hamels could be a future ace, but what's saying that Perez, Maine, or Pelfrey can't be equal or better? They're also young guys. Besides that they have Freddy Garcia who can be matched by at least El Duque and Jamie Moyer who really isn't that much of a threat. Adam Eaton can be neutralized so easily, he had like 5 good starts out of like 15.

Not to mention their bullpen is brutal compared to the Mets. He would be wise to keep quiet.

The bullpen will keep the team back this year. Yes they do have a chance at the Wild Card but there are also some teams who upgraded too. You cannot count out the Dodgers and Padres. The Phillies have a nice offense, no one is putting that against them but their bullpen will fail them. I am not even set on the starting pitching. The have the same situation as the Mets but the Mets have the bullpen.

On general principle, I disagree with Jimmy. Until you beat the team that won the division last year, you're not the team to beat. I don't care how great you look on paper. But, I do like the confidence. It's refreshing not to see Phillies players getting interviewed before the season and basically saying "Uh, we'll see how things go." What they've needed is a big swift kick in the ass, and now they've got the players to do it. They've got most of the pieces in place (I really think you guys are ridiculously downplaying the strength of the starting rotation), now they need bullpen help, which they'll get before the season starts.

But for fucks sake, everyone relax. Take a deep breath and go rub one out or something. It's not like the guys up there saying that no one else in the division has a chance (which oddly enough, is what I've heard from most Mets fans over the past few seasons). The guy's got confidence in his teammates, so sue him.

On general principle, I disagree with Jimmy. Until you beat the team that won the division last year, you're not the team to beat. I don't care how great you look on paper. But, I do like the confidence. It's refreshing not to see Phillies players getting interviewed before the season and basically saying "Uh, we'll see how things go." What they've needed is a big swift kick in the ass, and now they've got the players to do it. They've got most of the pieces in place (I really think you guys are ridiculously downplaying the strength of the starting rotation), now they need bullpen help, which they'll get before the season starts.

But for fucks sake, everyone relax. Take a deep breath and go rub one out or something. It's not like the guys up there saying that no one else in the division has a chance (which oddly enough, is what I've heard from most Mets fans over the past few seasons). The guy's got confidence in his teammates, so sue him.

I really don't understand what is so good about the Phillies' rotation. Besides Myers and Hamels being young players with a lot of upside, there is Freddy Garcia who is usually consistant which leaves you with two open spots.

I really don't understand what is so good about the Phillies' rotation. Besides Myers and Hamels being young players with a lot of upside, there is Freddy Garcia who is usually consistant which leaves you with two open spots.

I don't know much about Eaton, but from what I know about him, if he's healthy he's gonna be a decent back end starter, nothing more. But then you don't need your 4th or 5th starter to be an ace. As for Moyer, he's sure not gonna overpower hitters or knock your socks off with anything fancy, but he gets guys out and he wins ballgames. It's not always pretty, but he gets the job done. I don't know that I would call the back end of the rotation "open slots" though. It's not like these guys belong in AAA ball or anything. They're capable pitchers, and with the Phillies offensive ability, none of these guys are really gonna be needing to 6 or 7 shutout innings every night.

cept we produce.

You are so on the money. :clap:

The Yanks won 97 games in 06 and won the division and had homefield throughout the AL playoffs ...... oh wait a second, so did the Mets in theNL.

Well the Yanks went to the first round and lost to the eventual AL champs the Detroit Tigers................ oh wait the Mets won their first round series.

Well the Yanks lost to a better opponent in the Tigers in the first round, as opposed to the Mets who lost to a lousy Cardinals team in a 7 game series ........ wait a second the Cards beat the Tigers in 5 games.

Hmm, call me crazy, but I must say, in my crazy math world it seems the Mets played 7 more games than the Yankees. Now you say the Yanks(in your case 'we') produce. WHat exactly did 'you' produce in 2006 as opposed to the Mets? A first round ouster? More turmoil with a 252 million dollar 8th place hitter? Another failed year where a quarter of a billion dollars was spent for 2 extra home games?

Its stupidty from Yankee fans like this that actually ruin it for me in having intelligent baseball discussions regarding their team. In all honesty I could care less what the Yankees do except for 6 regular season games and a handful of others when they play our NL foes. It's dipshits like this that make you become a hater and piss off good Yankee fans.