SportsWrath

Ugh.... Big Head Bochy

fringe

Giants start clock on Bochy

TEAM HAS ONE WEEK TO REACH AGREEMENT WITH PADRES MANAGER

By Andrew Baggarly

The Giants and Bruce Bochy have determined that their interest in each other is genuine.

So Giants General Manager Brian Sabean on Wednesday called Kevin Towers, his Padres counterpart, and received the official sanction to open talks with San Diego's longtime manager.

Sabean will meet with Bochy in the next 48 hours and there are indications he will offer the job if he senses the 51-year-old former catcher is enthusiastic about moving north. Towers conceded he already has formed a list of preliminary candidates to replace Bochy, who is under contract to manage the Padres in 2007.

Sabean has until noon Tuesday to make a decision on Bochy; the Padres are not willing to extend the seven-day window.

``If there is no announcement at the end of the seven days, then Bruce will be a Padre,'' Towers said.

Actually, the Giants must move faster because Bochy is scheduled to leave for Japan on Monday after accepting an offer to replace Terry Francona as manager of the major leagues' touring all-star team. Another of the Giants' four central candidates, New York Mets third-base coach Manny Acta, will serve on Bochy's staff.

Bochy is the only one of Sabean's final four who has major league managerial experience. Los Angeles Angels pitching coach Bud Black and Giants bench coach Ron Wotus are the other finalists.

Wotus is known to be a favorite of Giants owner Peter Magowan, but upper management has assured Sabean that the hire is his to make. And Sabean values experience, which he showed during his brief but intense pursuit of Lou Piniella.

Bochy has spent the past 24 years in the Padres organization, including 12 as manager -- a tenure that ranks behind only Atlanta's Bobby Cox among big-league skippers. But Padres CEO Sandy Alderson has declined to negotiate an extension, and by allowing Bochy to talk with a division rival, he appears to signal the Padres will go in another direction in '08.

``It's the CEO's policy that the person should have the right to talk,'' Towers said. ``We've got to have confidence that if we lose Bruce, we'll bring in a quality manager who will find ways to beat the Giants.''

Bochy called his coaches last week to tell them he would explore an opportunity with the Giants.

``If he's going to interview, he's not doing it to send smoke signals,'' Padres third-base coach Glenn Hoffman said. ``If the interest is there, he'll follow it.''

Towers said the Padres have not demanded compensation if the Giants hire Bochy. A Giants source said such a demand is unlikely at this stage.

Bochy is due to be paid $1.9 million next season, making him one of the best-compensated managers in the game. But a Giants source said money was not an issue as the club pursued Piniella and it shouldn't hold up discussions with Bochy, who is expected to command a contract of at least three years for $6 million to $8 million.

Padres outfielder Dave Roberts, a free agent, said the Giants would become an attractive destination if they hire Bochy.

``He and I have a great relationship,'' said Roberts, whom the Giants consider a fallback if they fail to sign Texas center fielder Gary Matthews.

Sabean knows the impact of hiring a key member of a division rival. Last winter, the Giants suffered a blow when the Los Angeles Dodgers hired Ned Colletti, Sabean's top assistant, to become their general manager.

Done Deal, Bochy is new Giants Manager:

Giants begin the Bruce Bochy era

Padres' skipper agrees to deal

Henry Schulman, Chronicle Staff Writer

The Giants have found their 15th manager since moving to San Francisco, and he is a longtime National League West adversary.

Sources said late Thursday night that San Diego Padres manager Bruce Bochy has agreed to a three-year contract to replace Felipe Alou and will be introduced as Giants manager at a press conference today. The deal is believed to be worth between $6 million and $7 million. ...

Is that congrats, or what? I don't know.

I do like your sig, though.

He's ok, even if he is the human bobble head. I think it means that Bonds is coming back next year because Bochy will accept him (unlike Piniella). I don't expect much next year from the Giants anyway and he's a patient guy who'll let the young talent develop.

He's ok, even if he is the human bobble head. I think it means that Bonds is coming back next year because Bochy will accept him (unlike Piniella). I don't expect much next year from the Giants anyway and he's a patient guy who'll let the young talent develop.

and butcher your lineups. good move on his part, giants will have money to spend and the padres likely won't do jack shit again this offseason except sign a relief pitcher or two

besides, like turtle from entourage said: "the bigger the head, the bigger the star. Bruce Willis--big head, russell crow--big head, arnold schwartzenegger--big head, vincent chase--big big head"

barry bonds...big head :P

besides, like turtle from entourage said: "the bigger the head, the bigger the star. Bruce Willis--big head, russell crow--big head, arnold schwartzenegger--big head, vincent chase--big big head"

barry bonds...big head :P

bonds agent, boros, said today he wants 14 mill for next year. i say pass-adena.

bonds agent, boros, said today he wants 14 mill for next year. i say pass-adena.

he's nuts. he ups the attendance, but the giants are better off wiping the slate clean with guys like schmidt, bonds and finley. they'll have a ton of money to spend and can start over without necessarily rebuilding

he's nuts. he ups the attendance, but the giants are better off wiping the slate clean with guys like schmidt, bonds and finley. they'll have a ton of money to spend and can start over without necessarily rebuilding

you mean not taking 5 years to get it done, i guess. its a good year to rebuild with the all star game, you get a lot of season tix sales anyway. so they'll hit 3 mill even with a .500 team

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Dusty Baker will interview for the San Diego Padres' vacant manager's job on Monday, general manager Kevin Towers said Wednesday night.

Baker, who has managed the Giants and Cubs, will be the first former manager to interview for the job vacated when Bruce Bochy took a more secure deal with the Giants after 12 seasons as the Padres' manager.

Baker's contract was not renewed after four seasons with the Cubs, who finished 66-96 this season - the worst record in the National League. He managed the Giants from 1993-2002.

The Padres interviewed Angels pitching coach Bud Black on Wednesday. Black, who lives in the area and pitched at San Diego State, is considered one of the leading candidates.

St. Louis Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo interviewed on Tuesday. Trey Hillman, manager of the Japanese team Nippon Ham Fighters, is due to interview on Thursday, Giants coach Ron Wotus on Friday and former Dodgers hitting coach Tim Wallach on Saturday.