SportsWrath

Mets sign Tony Pena's son, 16

jranieli

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2514604

The New York Mets on Saturday signed Dominican prospect Francisco Pena, the son of former major-league catcher Tony Pena, a source told ESPNdeportes.com.

The Mets, who paid Pena a bonus of $750,000, are not planning to make the move public until next week.

Besides the bonus, Pena would receive schooling expenses in case he decides to take up his studies again, and he could be invited to the Mets' training camp next spring.

"After intense negotiations with the most interested teams -- around 10 -- the Pena family decided to accept the Mets' offer," the source said.

According to the source, the presence of general manager Omar Minaya, also a Dominican native, in the Mets' front office was a major factor in Pena's decision to sign.

Pena, 16, is considered to be one of the best catching prospects in the Dominican Republic's baseball history.

"The kid is a good defensive catcher, but it is his bat what will take him far in baseball. We could say that he is a combination of Tony Pena's defense and Mike Piazza's bat," said Leo Mercedes, who runs the young player's career.

"I feel embarrassed to talk about my own son, but I think Francisco has a natural talent for batting, and as a catcher I can say that right now he has a better arm than I had when I was 16," said Tony Pena, now a Yankees coach who won four Gold Gloves and played in five All-Star games during his 18-year major-league career.

Tony Pena Jr., Tony Pena's eldest son, made his major-league debut two months ago with the Atlanta Braves.

Pena, 16, is considered to be one of the best catching prospects in the Dominican Republic's baseball history.

Since the Yankee's got the "best Venezualen prospect since Miguel Cabrera" this feels better now.

Top Prospects:

Lastings Milledge

Mike Pelfrey

Phil Humber

Fernando Martinez

Francisco Pena

Brian Bannister

Alay Soler

Evan MacLane

Anderson Hernandez

Jeff Keppinger

Deolis Guerra- struggling, but only 16.

Michel Abreu

With enough top prospects like those we are looking at a very good future and can be care free about anyone of these guys tanking... except Milledge.

If only a quarter of those pan out we are in for happy times.