SportsWrath

Why Pedro's Not a Sox Anymore

mickeef2

Lest anybody think the sole reason the Sox didn't resign him was because they didn't think he was a dominant pitcher anymore:

"I’m not disappointed at all. I think I won the game on one side. Not even a win would give me the satisfaction I got from the fans... I won my game, the most important game to me.. Regardless of the result of the game, I'll always remember this as one of the best moments of my life... I'm not disappointed at all. The reception I got overmatched what I did out there. I'm extremely happy... " -Pedro, 6/28/06

His act had grown really tired in his last few years in Boston, and comments like this were the main reason why.

Lest anybody think the sole reason the Sox didn't resign him was because they didn't think he was a dominant pitcher anymore:

"I’m not disappointed at all. I think I won the game on one side. Not even a win would give me the satisfaction I got from the fans... I won my game, the most important game to me.. Regardless of the result of the game, I'll always remember this as one of the best moments of my life... I'm not disappointed at all. The reception I got overmatched what I did out there. I'm extremely happy... " -Pedro, 6/28/06

His act had grown really tired in his last few years in Boston, and comments like this were the main reason why.

the league(including 7 shutout innings vs the Yanks in May) is hitting less than .200 against him. I chalk this up to nerves, a team that is hot as one can be right now and Pedros ineffectiveness to shake off his nerves. I am glad he got this out of the way and if you look at the history of past long time pitchers, from Clemens(playoff game 99) to Glavine to now Pedro, HOF pitchers tend to have a tough time going up against their former longtime teams where they had huge success.

I had figured something like this to happen when he said he would prefer not to pitch this series. I think it also speaks volumes for the respect that Pedro has for the Boston fans and the obsession with baseball up there.

"It's not disappointing at all. I think I won a game on one side," Martinez said. "I think the reception I got really overmatched whatever I did out there today, which wasn't much. I'm extremely happy I was able to come back. I didn't have my 'A' game today and they took advantage of it. I couldn't make pitches and basically you just tip your hat and let it go and get ready for the next time.

"Not even a win would give me the satisfaction I got from the reception from the fans. I will always appreciate them and keep them in my heart, and I will never forget this, regardless of the results of the game. I will always remember that as one of the best moments in my life."

Dude, you have to post the whole quote. You can't just pick and choose which sentances to pay attention to. He was flattered to get such a reception back at Fenway. I can't say I'm all that happy about his statements, but he admits he didn't have his 'A' game, and says he just has to move on to his next start like any professional.

No fan wants to hear that their player would rather be playing in another city, but I think Pedro genuinly likes playing in New York. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and he has a strong connection with Boston so comments like these were bound to come out of his mouth.

"It's not disappointing at all. I think I won a game on one side," Martinez said. "I think the reception I got really overmatched whatever I did out there today, which wasn't much. I'm extremely happy I was able to come back. I didn't have my 'A' game today and they took advantage of it. I couldn't make pitches and basically you just tip your hat and let it go and get ready for the next time.

"Not even a win would give me the satisfaction I got from the reception from the fans. I will always appreciate them and keep them in my heart, and I will never forget this, regardless of the results of the game. I will always remember that as one of the best moments in my life."

Dude, you have to post the whole quote. You can't just pick and choose which sentances to pay attention to. He was flattered to get such a reception back at Fenway. I can't say I'm all that happy about his statements, but he admits he didn't have his 'A' game, and says he just has to move on to his next start like any professional.

No fan wants to hear that their player would rather be playing in another city, but I think Pedro genuinly likes playing in New York. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and he has a strong connection with Boston so comments like these were bound to come out of his mouth.

Glavine with the Braves was the same way. I do not fault pedro, now if we played the SOX 19 times and this went on(like it did for 2 and a half years with Glavine) I would be bothered, but not in this case. I heard NESN guy(Remy) on Mike and the Mad Dog the other day credit Pedro for making a trip to Fenway now an event. When a guy hears things like this and then sees people cheer him while with another team its emotional. I know they all remember 1999 as well and the dominance vs the Yanks and the relief efort in the ALDS.

Time to get back to business now and move on, the man was right.

the league(including 7 shutout innings vs the Yanks in May) is hitting less than .200 against him. I chalk this up to nerves, a team that is hot as one can be right now and Pedros ineffectiveness to shake off his nerves.

Again, I'm not disputing the fact that the guy is still a very effective pitcher. It's just that when they talk about how much guts Pedro has, and what a great teammate he is, I have to laugh. I can't tell you how many times he didn't get the job done against the Yankees, then said something stupid.

I am glad he got this out of the way and if you look at the history of past long time pitchers, from Clemens(playoff game 99) to Glavine to now Pedro, HOF pitchers tend to have a tough time going up against their former longtime teams where they had huge success.

Clemens struck out either 15 or 16 in his first game back at Fenway. He also shut them down in the Zimmer/Pedro game. Sure, he had some bad starts against them, but to say he had a tough time against them for the rest of his career is silly. Also, guys usually struggle against their former teams because they're in the twilight of their career (which is why the team let them go).

I had figured something like this to happen when he said he would prefer not to pitch this series.

lol I almost forgot about that one. What kind of a competitor says, "I'd rather not pitch against my old team." :rolleyes:

Dude, you have to post the whole quote. You can't just pick and choose which sentances to pay attention to. He was flattered to get such a reception back at Fenway. I can't say I'm all that happy about his statements

Then what does it matter whether I posted the whole quote? It's like the dopey athletes who say stupid shit and then say "They took it out of context." There is no context for those words.

Yup, ... Pedro got a nice ... Mets ... win. Move on.

So I guess this isn't out of context. I'm just saying if you don't post the whole quote, you make it sound a lot worse than what he actually said. Hey, if you want to be over critical of a players quotes after a tough loss thats your business, but don't get uppity when people call you out on it. ;)

Again, I'm not disputing the fact that the guy is still a very effective pitcher. It's just that when they talk about how much guts Pedro has, and what a great teammate he is, I have to laugh. I can't tell you how many times he didn't get the job done against the Yankees, then said something stupid.

Clemens struck out either 15 or 16 in his first game back at Fenway. He also shut them down in the Zimmer/Pedro game. Sure, he had some bad starts against them, but to say he had a tough time against them for the rest of his career is silly. Also, guys usually struggle against their former teams because they're in the twilight of their career (which is why the team let them go).

lol I almost forgot about that one. What kind of a competitor says, "I'd rather not pitch against my old team." :rolleyes:

Clemens first time in a big spot as a Yankee(because no one cared when he was a Jay ;) ) was that drubbing in the 99 LCS.

Pedro is a .500 pitcher against the Yankees in his career in a time period where the rest of the league has played well under 500 vs them. Not as bad as it is made to be, he struggled some towards the end, but I remember him pitching well, that 15 K game in the 99 LCS being one and a Sunday night 1 hitter at the STadium I believe in 2000?

Yup, it was more important that Pedro got a nice reception last night than the Mets got a win. Move on.

Am I happy they lost? No of course not, that goes for any game against any team. I also realize that baseball is a season of peaks and valleys and its 1 loss out of 162. I am also content that I look at the standings and see a sizeable lead.

So I guess this isn't out of context. I'm just saying if you don't post the whole quote, you make it sound a lot worse than what he actually said. Hey, if you want to be over critical of a players quotes after a tough loss thats your business, but don't get uppity when people call you out on it. ;)

Yeah, what you did is pretty much the same thing as what I did. ;)

Clemens first time in a big spot as a Yankee(because no one cared when he was a Jay ;) ) was that drubbing in the 99 LCS.

Why would you pick that particular start as a comparison? I compared Pedro's first start back at Fenway to Clemens' first start back at Fenway. It's the same situation.

Why would you pick that particular start as a comparison? I compared Pedro's first start back at Fenway to Clemens' first start back at Fenway. It's the same situation.

Well maybe if Pedro pitched there 2-3 times a year as a competing player as Clemens did. Clemens in 97 also faced a far lesser Sox team as a Jay then pedro did 9 years later as a Met. I guess I think of the playoff one because it was the start of that era and re heightening of "the rivalry" and Clemens spit the bed.