SportsWrath

Posada

Ditto

I get tired of watching him set up in back of the plate on throws home. What's with him, and what's with the coaching staff for letting him get away with it for so long?

Kaye was talking last night about how he had a devastating injury in the minors from blocking the plate. He said when they asked Posada why he put his leg in harm's way on the play he said, "That's just how I play the game." I'm like, "Soooo...why don't you play the game like that anymore?" :confused:

Not to sound like an old man, but when I was a kid there were always collisions at the plate. Baserunners looked forward to barreling over the catcher at the plate, and catchers were expected to stand there and take it. Nowadays, there's too much money to be made and this has practically disappeared from the game. Nobody blocks the plate anymore.

Kaye was talking last night about how he had a devastating injury in the minors from blocking the plate. He said when they asked Posada why he put his leg in harm's way on the play he said, "That's just how I play the game." I'm like, "Soooo...why don't you play the game like that anymore?" :confused:

Not to sound like an old man, but when I was a kid there were always collisions at the plate. Baserunners looked forward to barreling over the catcher at the plate, and catchers were expected to stand there and take it. Nowadays, there's too much money to be made and this has practically disappeared from the game. Nobody blocks the plate anymore.

It's not just the money, players have to work with each other now with the Players union crap going on. This was actually discussed in a book that I'm reading now.

I wouldn't agree with the whole players union thing. I mean, guys stil pitch inside, hit each other, slide aggressively into 2nd, etc. I just think catchers are afraid to give up the body anymore.

As for ARod, he consistently doesn't get in front of the ball on hard shots, either. Most of the time, he's a good enough athlete to pick it, but every now and then he doesn't get a ball because he didn't get in front of it. Thing that really bothers me is they give guys base hits on those, too, yet if you get in front of it and it bounces off your chest, they give you an error.

I wouldn't agree with the whole players union thing. I mean, guys stil pitch inside, hit each other, slide aggressively into 2nd, etc. I just think catchers are afraid to give up the body anymore.

As for ARod, he consistently doesn't get in front of the ball on hard shots, either. Most of the time, he's a good enough athlete to pick it, but every now and then he doesn't get a ball because he didn't get in front of it. Thing that really bothers me is they give guys base hits on those, too, yet if you get in front of it and it bounces off your chest, they give you an error.

They don't pitch inside as much as they used to and they don't slide into homeplate barreling into the catcher like they used to.

one guy who always blocks the plate is varitek.

But honestly I was thinking about it, the blocking of the plate comes into question like 3 or 4 times in a season. There are bigger and more important things.

It's like when people said "oh damon has a weak arm anyway, he stinks."

I am still waiting for his arm to come into question on a play, i hardly see people take any advantage of it. How about his 11 homers now, which is already 1 more then he already had last year. Yet he stinks cuz of his arm.

one guy who always blocks the plate is varitek.

But honestly I was thinking about it, the blocking of the plate comes into question like 3 or 4 times in a season. There are bigger and more important things.

It's like when people said "oh damon has a weak arm anyway, he stinks."

I am still waiting for his arm to come into question on a play, i hardly see people take any advantage of it. How about his 11 homers now, which is already 1 more then he already had last year. Yet he stinks cuz of his arm.

Plow all due respect to your Yankee fandom, but teams take the extra base on Damon(the whole Yankee OF for that matter) at every chance they get. Sure it never comes into play because you do not see any plays. The book on Damon is run run run run run, as is Bernie. They make up for it on other ways, but to say it never comes into question on a play is silly/

Plow all due respect to your Yankee fandom, but teams take the extra base on Damon(the whole Yankee OF for that matter) at every chance they get. Sure it never comes into play because you do not see any plays. The book on Damon is run run run run run, as is Bernie. They make up for it on other ways, but to say it never comes into question on a play is silly/

OVERRATED

i've watched a lot of yankee games this year, hardly anyone goes first to 3rd on him. If they do it would have been done on anybody. I never see anyone tag from 2nd to 3rd on him. They give him the respect. Jeter goes out a little farther on cutoffs, and damon has good accuracy to him. It's a very very overrated thing. Bernie I have seen it done, it's important to have a RF with an arm. CF and LF you dont need an arm. And i never said it doesn't come into question, but just it isn't that important. To say he stinks cuz of his arm is like absolute idiocy, and people who say it should be banned from fandom.

OVERRATED

i've watched a lot of yankee games this year, hardly anyone goes first to 3rd on him. If they do it would have been done on anybody. I never see anyone tag from 2nd to 3rd on him. They give him the respect. Jeter goes out a little farther on cutoffs, and damon has good accuracy to him. It's a very very overrated thing. Bernie I have seen it done, it's important to have a RF with an arm. CF and LF you dont need an arm. And i never said it doesn't come into question, but just it isn't that important. To say he stinks cuz of his arm is like absolute idiocy, and people who say it should be banned from fandom.

I agree with you that arms are overrated. a lot of outfielders don't have good arms but they have quick release, they always hit the cutoff, and they instinctively know which base to throw to. Barry Bonds won 8 gold gloves with an average arm.

OVERRATED

Even though this may be a bad example because Damon threw him out on the play, Johnny is probably one of the only few OFs that Manny would've tried to get a double on. So baserunners do take into consideration Johnny's arm.

Even though this may be a bad example because Damon threw him out on the play, Johnny is probably one of the only few OFs that Manny would've tried to get a double on. So baserunners do take into consideration Johnny's arm.

yes u were right, that is a bad example but i know what u mean

however it comes up like 2-3 times a year, u know?

and with the amount of flyballs he tracks down and his great form, it really negates his arm.

I have to say I agree with Plow here. While Damon has a rag for an arm, he does a very good job of compensating for it by getting himself in position to throw, getting to balls quickly, and covering a alot of ground. He did the same thing with the Sox and I really can't remember a time when his arm cost the Sox a crucial run.

People wonder why I dislike the Yankees attitude so much, case in point:

Watching the game with TV on ...radio on with Waldman and Sterling.

That play at the plate..Posada again behind the plate, TV repeatedly shows the space the runner slid into...correctly blaming Posadas positioning...Waldman.. "Posada made an excellent block of the plate, the throw was a little towards first base".... :confused:

People wonder why I dislike the Yankees attitude so much, case in point:

Watching the game with TV on ...radio on with Waldman and Sterling.

That play at the plate..Posada again behind the plate, TV repeatedly shows the space the runner slid into...correctly blaming Posadas positioning...Waldman.. "Posada made an excellent block of the plate, the throw was a little towards first base".... :confused:

the yankees could kill a man and they'd somehow spin it off as something good.