SportsWrath

Training Camp 2010 Updates

Mr. P

Assistant Coaches Talk

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Several assistant coaches spoke today to the media and here are just some tidbits from various assistants on different subjects.

BUILDING BLOCK: Tight end Travis Beckum has to become a better blocker if he is going to get on the field.

Tight ends coach Michael Pope said the team wants to get the pass-catching tight end out there but not at the risk of defenses strictly playing against the pass when he is on the field.

“We did a lot of work in the spring, trying to place him in the offense,” Pope said. “He has to be (in there) with his skill, his pass-receiving ability, and his speed, a little bit more out in space. But you can’t do that totally with him. You have to put him in. Otherwise they’re going to play pass when he’s in and play run when he’s out. So we have to develop him, which he’s never really done because he’s only played in a two-point stance.”

“He has to be able to grow into being able to block someone at the end of the line of scrimmage or block as a fullback around the edges. He knows that has to be the case in order for him to help the team.”

DOWN WITH JPP: Defensive line coach Robert Nunn knows how raw first-round pick Jason Pierre-Paul is. But that doesn’t necessarily mean JPP won’t be a factor at all this season.

“Oh, I think he will be able to contribute,” Nunn said. “At the end of minicamp, the last week or so, he did a lot of good things, a lot of promising things. We’re going to see how it goes, go snap by snap. Try to get as fundamentally sound as we can be and if he continues to do that, I certainly see him contributing.”

Nunn said Pierre-Paul, who signed a five-year deal worth $20,050,000 with $11,629,807 guaranteed, has shown his ability and a good motor. He just has to concentrate on what needs to be done daily sometimes.

But the ability has Nunn and other coaches smiling.

“Everything that he showed and watching him in South Florida, you see that showing up a lot,” Nunn said. “Outstanding talent.”

SAFETY DANCE: Safeties coach Dave Merritt talked a lot about Kenny Phillips on Sunday. But he also raved about newly-signed safety John Busing, the former Texans safety.

“We had him here in the spring and he’s a veteran,” Merritt said. “He’s going to compete for a spot. Mark my words on that. He is a guy that is a special teams player and he knows his role. There are some guys that you have to try to cater to and make sure you keep them mentally into it, but a guy like John Busing, he understands his role and I am very excited to have him back.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkgiants/post/_/id/702/assistant-coaches-talk?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

First "Practice" Is Over

The first practice of Giants’ training camp might have been the lightest, most uneventful practice I’ve seen in 15 training camps. Nothing really happened.

OK, stuff happened, but not much, and nothing exciting. It was a series of individual drills and walkthroughs. Or, to put it in Tom Coughlin-ese: “just a fundamental practice just to get them going.”

“Certainly I’m never one to spare the meetings,” Coughlin added. “We’ll be involved in those tonight.”

That said, for the fans that showed up - - and those that didn’t - - there were a few things to note, though they were hardly noteworthy:

• The first shot at returning punts was split among five players: Antrel Rolle, Aaron Ross, Sinorice Moss, Adam Jennings and Mario Manningham.

• The defense opened practice with a fun-looking “hot potato” contest. The players gathered in five circles and batted the football around lot a hot potato until somebody dropped it. When the player dropped it, he stepped out and that kept going until there were five winners. Then those five winners got in a circle and played single elimination again. The overall winner? S Shar’eff Rashad, who beat DE Mathias Kiwanuka when the 6-5 Kiwi batted the ball over the 6-foot Rashad’s head. That drill, by the way, is definitely not a leftover from the Bill Sheridan era.

• Another thing not left over from the Sheridan era: CB Terrell Thomas dropped an interception in one-on-one passing drills and he immediately dropped to the ground and started doing pushups.

• S Kenny Phillips (knee) and G Kevin Boothe (pec) - - the PUPpies - - were the only ones to sit out the light practice.

• For what it’s worth, Jonathan Goff ran with the first team at MLB and Keith Bulluck was with the third team, then later the second team. Obviously that will change when Bulluck gets up to speed. And Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka started as the first-team ends, though Osi Umenyiora quickly rotated in.

• Rookie P Matt Dodge did not get the post-Feagles era off to a good start. His first three punts were … well, they were not good. They were low and short and basically line drives. The fourth punt was better, but only after he juggled the snap while trying to position the laces. A few punts later he was finally consistently booming them 50-, 55-yards down field. But it should be noted he was booming them down the middle of the field. Obviously we don’t know if he was told to do that or told to aim for the corners.

• Coughlin on RB Gartrell Johnson’s struggles in the morning conditioning test: “Rigor mortis set in.” Ouch.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/08/first-practice-is-over.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28Blogs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29&utm_content=Twitter

Perry Fewell One "Hot Potato" On First Day Of Giants Training Camp

fewell080110jpg-4b7f93316ec162b9_large.jpg

ALBANY, N.Y. – The road to the Super Bowl began with a “hot potato.”

Okay, so maybe in six months we won’t be saying something to that effect about the Giants – either because they didn’t get to Dallas or because we’ve long since forgotten the first few minutes of training camp.

But right now, with the 2010 season only a few hours old, one of the highlights for the Giants’ defense is coordinator Perry Fewell's kicking off training camp on a player-friendly note with a single-elimination "hot potato" contest.

The players ran the drill in their positional groups with the winners advancing all the way to a final matchup between DE Mathias Kiwanuka and S Sha'reff Rashad. If you ask me, Kiwanuka won, but Fewell ruled he had thrown too high for Rashad.

This whole drill left me to wonder if Fewell had walked into the meeting room and asked his guys, "What's the last thing Bill Sheridan would do to start camp?"

"Uh, a hot potato contest?"

"Done."

Either way, it seemed to work, as the players thoroughly enjoyed the drill.

Mission accomplished.

“It was to get you guys talking about his different drills,” coach Tom Coughlin joked afterward. “Take your eye off what’s going on to talk about drills.”

Actually, it was probably part of Fewell’s plan to establish a good working relationship with his players, especially after Sheridan seemed so disconnected with them last year.

By now, the players must know the energetic Fewell is nothing like his predecessor.

“I hear that screeching,” Coughlin said of Fewell’s voice on the field. “He’s got good energy, great personality. Lively persona, energy in the classroom, energy on the field. The players had the spring with him, so they had an opportunity to get to know a little bit about how he coaches and how he approaches things. His enthusiasm is a good thing.”

So are his games, apparently. Now, can he teach them to play good defense?

Coughlin believes so and likes one drill Fewell runs. It involves a three-station rotation during the individual portion in which he had each of the positions (minus the linemen) doing drills designed for linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks. In other words, at times, he had cornerbacks running drills suited for linebackers, safeties running drills suited for cornerbacks, etc.

All of the drills involved different types of pass-coverage drops.

“We did that in the spring. I like that,” Coughlin said. “You focus on a segment. Let’s say it’s tackling. One drill is an angle tackle, the other drill an at-the-line tackle, the other drill is another form of tackle. Or maybe turnovers. One drill is a pressure-the-quarterback turnover, another drill is strip. We rotate the players through the various segments of the drill so you’re able to accomplish one concept but three different approaches to that concept.”

Coughlin on RB Gartrell Johnson’s struggling during condition drills this morning: “Rigor mortis set in.”

Yikes.

Coughlin did say Johnson made weight, though, as did the entire team. Coughlin said he can’t remember that happening for one of his teams, especially the “bigger guys.” He singled out DT Chris Canty as one of the players who impressed him during the conditioning drills.

LB Keith Bulluck made it through practice and reported no immediate issues.

“I don’t think he feels like he has to respond after the workout, which is a good thing,” Coughlin said. “He just went about his business and went inside with the other guys. I’ll get a report tonight, but I don’t expect it to have anything I’m not pleased with. But you never know.”

I could tell you Bulluck worked with the reserves and that Jonathan Goff was working in the middle with the first team. But it really doesn’t mean anything at all at this point.

Today’s practice was a light session. In fact, “hot potato” was one of the more strenuous parts of the workout.

There was a solid 1-on-1 passing drill, though, that revealed a few things:

Firstly, the cornerbacks exclusively played “off” coverage and you could see they were working with their heads toward the quarterback first and then adjusting to the route, just as secondary coach Peter Giunta promised. They seem like they’ll need to get used to playing off the ball, though CB Aaron Ross made a great break on the ball to break up a short hook from QB Jim Sorgi to WR Sinorice Moss (Ross broke as soon as he saw Moss stumble and Sorgi cock the ball), CB Terrell Thomas did a fine job of turning and running on a deep ball (but he punished himself with pushups after dropping the interception) and CB Bruce Johnson planted and nearly got to a hook from QB Eli Manning to WR Ramses Barden, who shielded Johnson to make the grab.

One deep connection: Manning to WR Derek Hagan up the right sideline past S Antrel Rolle, who was lined up as a corner.

And hot-potato king Rashad was tight in his coverage on a few plays, including a break-up of a ball to TE Kevin Boss on an out.

P Matt Dodge had first-day jitters when he shanked his first three punts and then bobbled the snap on the fourth one. But once he got in a groove, it was bombs away with a couple of 50-yard tight spirals.

Dodge will have the retired Jeff Feagles up here working with him as a special instructor for at least part of camp.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/perry_fewell_one_hot_potato_on.html

The Day At Camp: Sunday, August 1, 2010

Giants safety Kenny Phillips is an optimist. Almost right from the start when he suffered a season-ending knee injury, his goal was to get back on the field in time for training camp.

Despite being on schedule with his rehab and experiencing no pain or swelling, Phillips will begin training camp on the PUP list, where head coach Tom Coughlin has said he will likely remain for the first week.

"It was kind of tough," Phillips said about having to miss the start of training camp. "The start of training camp was my goal, but I don't think I am going to miss too much time."

While Phillips is disappointed that he won't be able to practice with his teammates, he also understands the team's decision to be cautious with him, and said that he will continue to work as hard as he can with the trainers.

"I feel real good," he said this morning following the team's conditioning drills, in which he didn't participate. "I am just waiting on the trainers to give me the go-ahead."

Phillips smiled when asked if he experienced any setbacks in his rehab and shook his head. "No pain, no swelling, no anything. Everything is good."

Phillips said that he came back to the Giants facility about two weeks before the start of camp so that the medical staff could examine his knee. While they put him through a series of tests that he passed, he admitted that his knee has not yet been "football tested."

When the opportunity comes for him to get back on the football field, Phillips said he isn't worried about how he'll respond. "I've been working out the whole off-season," he said. "I am not worried about it. I just have to get used to playing football again."

And while he is anxious to get out there again, he wouldn't put a timetable on his return.

"They (the medical staff) don't want to rush me back. We don't want any setbacks. They know what's best for me and I am sure they'll get me out there very soon."

QB Coach Sullivan Doesn't Plan to Tinker Too Much with Rhettt Bomar's Throwing Motion

At the conclusion of the spring minicamp, offensive cord ator Kevin Gilbride declared that barring an extraordinary circumstance, Veteran Jim Sorgi would be the primary backup behind starter Eli Manning.

However, that doesn't mean that the team has given up on developing Rhett Bomar, who was drafted a year ago only to end up on the team's practice squad, to eventually move up to that second spot.

Before Bomar can be considered for that role, he still has a ways to go in terms of his throwing mechanics, with are somewhat u orthodox given that he throws with a bit of a side-armed motion. that throwing motion not only leaves him susceptible to having passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage, but can also become a factor in terms of the torque he gets on the ball.

"We are always looking to continue to refine our players and do things to help them become the most productive," said quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan. "It is somewhat natural for him to throw it that way."

Sullivan shook his head when asked if a full-scale renovation of Bomar's throwing motion was in order. "You have to be careful -- if you tinker too much with it it can create a situation where he isn't comfortable with his mechanics. There are a lot quarterbacks in this league that don't have the ideal throwing motion.

"Certainly we'd like to be able to get the elbow up, but you can't get to the point where it becomes the focal point and he forgets all of the other things he needs to focus on -- the leadership, the decision making and the accuracy, just to name a few."

Rather, Sullivan said the plan is to work with what's there (within reason) and put more of an emphasis on improving his accuracy.

"If you have the most perfect throwing motion but you end up two-hopping the all to an open target, that doesn't do you any good. So we are going to continue working with him on that and co tinue to bring him along in our system," Sullivan said.

Quotebook

"I like practice to tell you the truth. I am a veteran, but I feel like a rookie because I missed a year. It's kind of weird, but I am looking forward to the reps." -- S Kenny Phillips on whether he was looking forward to practicing again.

Practice Notes

With the Giants having their conditioning drills this morning, head coach Tom Coughlin decided to go easy on the masses, putting them through a 75-minute series of unit drills in shorts and shells that saw no offense vs. defense. That’s probably a good move by the Giants head coach, who instead of throwing his guys to the wolves, is instead choosing to ease them back into the swing of things as starting tomorrow, they’ll have two straight days of double sessions.

* If the game of football is all about having fun defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is going to win even more fans amongst his players. In starting out the unit drills, F3well had his guys go through a game similar to the old schoolyard game, “hot potato” where the ball is thrown around at random and if you drop it, you’re out. The purpose of the drill was to test their awareness and reflexes, and in the end, it was Mathias Kiwanuka left to square off against S Sha’reff Rashad. The winner of the contest? Rashad by a nose.

* In terms of the lineups, you had Clint Sintim, Jonathan Goff, and Michael Boley as the starting linebackers, with Keith Bulluck working with the twos. Your first string defensive line featured Justin Tuck, Chris Canty, Barry Cofield and Mathias Kiwanuka; the two’s had Jason Pierre Paul, alternating with Osi Umenyiora, Rocky Bernard, Jay Alford and Dave Tollefson.

* Phillip Dillard saw some work with the three’s tat middle linebacker, alongside of Adrian Tracy (strong side) and Gerris Wilkinson (weakside).

* In special teams drills, the Giants worked exclusively on their punting game today. Matt Dodge’s first few kicks were low, end over end line drives that weren’t very pretty, but ultimately he started booming the m high and deep. However, before anyone gets too excited about the improvement in the defense, what people weren’t necessarily watching while they were ‘oohing and aahing’ was Dodge’s kicking motion, which remains slow and deliberate. I’ll have more about this in the next issue of Inside Footballas I spoke with special teams coordinator Tom Quinn about Dodge’s kicking motion and I also have some old notes from the master himself, Jeff Feagles (whom Quinn said would be in camp probably later in the week to work with Dodge), about how it’s supposed to be done. But certainly Dodge still has a long way to go in his transition to the pro game.

* CB Terrell Thomas, who is not only competing for a starting job but also aspired to be the number one guy at cornerback, dropped an interception on a pass intended for Victor Cruz. Thomas immediately dropped to the ground and did a series of push-ups to punish himself.

* Travis Beckum let a pass thrown by Jim Sorgi go right through his hands.

* The Giants underwent a series of sprints as part of their conditioning drills consisting of eight 50-yard sprints. According to a team spokesman, everyone who ran the drills passed, including RB Gartrell Johnson, who was observed to be struggling as he ran the cross-field sprints. Those not running the drills included Phillips and OL Kevin Boothe, who is on PUP as he recovers from a pectoral injury; LB Keith Bulluck (knee); and RB Ahmad Bradshaw (feet/ankles).

* Speaking of Bulluck, he took out a full-page ad in The Tennessean today to thank the fans for their support during his ten-year career. His message read, "Thank you Titans fans for ten great years."

* DT Chris Canty, who bulked up during the off-season, decided to run his sprints shirtless. He was eventually joined by DT Linval Joseph, WR Sinorice Moss, and a couple of other guys. Meanwhile TE Travis Beckum was caught leaving early at least twice, though there was no penalty for leaving early.

* RB Gartrell Johnson struggled in the morning conditioning drills. When asked if Johnson was injured, head coach Tom Coughlin smiled and said, “Rigor mortis set in."

* Coughlin also reported that all players met their goal weights and that they finished the conditioning test. He was particularly impressed that the big guys made it through without becoming too winded.

Injury Report

Other than S Kenny Phillips and OL Kevin Boothe, both of whom are on PUP, everyone went through the walk-through. RB Ahmad Bradshaw and LB Keith Bulluck did not participate in the morning conditioning drills, but both worked in the afternoon practice with their respective units. Coughlin said that Bulluck will only work once a day.

Transactions

SIGNED: DE Jason Pierre-Paul (8/1); S John Busing (8/1); DT Linval Joseph (7/31)

PLACED ON PUP: S Kenny Phillips (knee); OL Kevin Boothe (pectoral)

Spotlight

S Antrel Rolle. WR Derek Hagan had the play of the practice against Rolle, as the receiver put a nice move on the safety (who as actually lined up at corner for that one drill) for a 50-yard flag thrown by Eli Manning. Not only did Hagan fool Rolle, he had at least three yards of separation against him. Then a few plays later, it was WR Ramses Barden beating Rolle on a curl. It might not have been one of Rolle’s better practices, but he’s a competitor and will bounce back.

Coaches Speak

Here are a few snippets of interest from the assistant coaches who met with the media today.

Offensive line coach Pat Flaherty on whether he thinks Rich Seubert can compete and keep his job:

“Yeah he can. He’s a guy that really understands his body, and I don’t believe he has any limitations at all. You talk about a few years back when he had that injury against Philadelphia and I was here through his rehab and through him coming back and I was totally amazed. There are not a lot of people that could have done what he did. His mental makeup is really what carried him through that. So when you are strong mentally and have a strong desire to play the game and love the game that will carry you through.”

Tight ends coach Mike Pope on where Travis Beckum might fit into the picture:

“We did a lot of work in the spring, trying to place him in the offense. He has to be, with his skill, his pass receiving ability, and his speed, a little bit more out in space. But you can’t do that totally with him. You have to put him in. Otherwise they’re going to play pass when he’s in and they’re going to play run when he’s out. So we have to be able to develop him, which he’s never really done because he’s only played in a two-point stance. He has to be able to grow into being able to block someone at the end of the line of scrimmage or block as a fullback around the edges.”

Cornerbacks coach Peter Giunta on what Perry Fewell has changed as far as the approach to the game is concerned:

“He changed some things we’re going to do defensively, more with takeaways and trying to see the quarterback more. In the past, we were always playing man, man, man really and identify whether we should use zone coverage or man coverage, we were set on the matchups. This year, we are going with more of a read the quarterback and see him with the ball and get to ball.”

On whether Fewell’s approach is a better match for the personnel they have:

I think it’s good because we are going to mix whether we do a pattern read or whether we are going to read the quarterback and be more of a pure zone team. That good mix we have will really help us to keep the quarterback off balance.

Safeties coach David Merritt on recent FA acquisition John Busing:

Love him. We had him here in the spring and John, he’s a veteran, and to get John back in here, he’s going to compete for a spot. Mark my words on that. He is a guy that is a special teams player and he knows his role. And when you have players who know their role and know that, okay, this is why I’m here, I’m going to be the best at that, then the sky is the limit for what we can do, because it’s not like you’re having to try to please everybody. He understands his role. There are some guys that you have to try to cater to and make sure you keep them mentally into it, but a guy like John Busing, he understands his role, and I am very excited to have him back.

Up Next

The Giants will go at it twice tomorrow at 8:35 and 3:15. For updated practice information, call the Training Camp Information hotline at 518-442-2714. Also, tomorrow find why special teams coordinator Tom Quinn has not given up on WR Sinorice Moss' chances of winning the punt return job.

http://trainathought.insidefootball.com/2010/08/the-day-at-camp-sunday-august-1-2010-.html

In With The New

10_0801_53.jpg

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - Keith Bulluck has been a Giant for less than a week, but few players are as comfortable here as the team's new linebacker.

"I think the best thing so far was the drive up the Thruway yesterday," said Bulluck, who was raised in Rockland County, a couple of hours south of here. "Just seeing the different places like Poughkeepsie, places I haven't seen in awhile, but I've gotten familiar with. Actually being here, my best friends went to the University at Albany. So I would come down when I had free time from Syracuse to hang out with them. I've been to this cafeteria before and been in these dorms we're staying in."

Now Bulluck, and fellow newcomers like safeties Antrel Rolle and Deon Grant, have to get acclimated to their new teammates and new defense - which, of course, is undergoing its own transformation under new coordinator Perry Fewell. How well Rolle, Bulluck and everyone else picks up and performs in Fewell's system will go a long way in determining whether the Giants improve on their 427 points allowed - and 8-8 record.

"I think they'll pick it up fast," Coach Tom Coughlin said. "The two safeties were here all spring, so they're pretty much embedded in how our approach is this season as of right now. I think Keith will pick it up fast as well. He won't be on the field both practices, but he will have an opportunity to pick it up and he'll get it back because he's had a number of years in the league."

"It's going to take a lot of work from the coaching staff as well as the players," said Rolle, who joined the Giants as a free agent in March after five seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. "This right now is just a gelling period for everyone getting on the same page at the same time. This is a time to make mistakes. If you're going to make mistakes, now is the time to make mistakes. That way, once the season comes, we got everything pretty much gelling and ready to go."

Bulluck, who played his first 10 NFL seasons for the Tennessee Titans, signed last week after convincing the Giants his left knee, surgically-repaired near the end of the 2009 season, can withstand the rigors of the NFL season. He does not anticipate any difficulty learning the new defense as he tries to secure the starting middle linebacker job.

"I've been in this game for a long time," Bulluck said. "There are only so many defenses you can play. There are only so many different ways you can do it. You know, it will probably take me a few days, a few practices to get acclimated."

"For (10) years of his career he's been hearing a language that's the Tennessee language," linebackers coach Jim Herrmann said. "My job is to introduce him to the Giant language of football. It's the same thing, but I may say it different than his linebacker coach said it at Tennessee or we may call something different than they called it at Tennessee. That language barrier of teaching someone a new language is number one. The guys are going to go on the field and compete and perform, but for me, it's getting him to the point where he feels comfortable - okay, this is the playbook, yes I remember this is this so now I just have to remember the names. I think that's the biggest thing for a guy coming into a new position."

Both Rolle and Bulluck are expected to help fill the defensive leadership void created by the offseason departure of Antonio Pierce, who is now retired. Pierce was a vocal and fiery presence in the middle of the defense, a player who motivated his teammates with words and deeds. The Giants had candidates on their roster who could have stepped in as leaders, but the accomplishments, longevity and demeanor of Bulluck and Rolle could help them easily slip into that, uh, role.

"I think we have a lot of guys who are capable of that," Coughlin said, "and I think that one that I would say, and that they know of, is that to lead means that your experiences over time, it doesn't happen one day and not the next day, and it happens under all circumstances. It's a pillar of strength, and it's the kind of individual who has the confidence to speak to his peers and be unafraid to challenge or to indicate that things are just not done properly and need to be done properly. I think that we have any number of guys who could lead and could be found to have that capacity. We just have to wait and see."

Bulluck believes he can be a leader even in a group of players he is just beginning to know.

"To me, I'm a natural leader," Bulluck said. "I think my field presence is one thing. I'm not a rah-rah guy. I'm not going to be out there barking orders and telling people what to do, because they'd probably look at me like I have four heads. I'm going to come out and do my job. People have expectations of me to do my job as I have the same expectations of them. You have to be on the same page and everyone doing their job, that's first and foremost. If the guys gravitate to me, that's fine. I'm sure I'll gravitate to them. Everyone expects me to come here to be a leader. I don't put that pressure on myself. I just come here like I say, do my job and see what happens."

"His experience will be great in the room," said linebackers coach Jim Herrmann. "I think younger guys always need to hear an older voice other than an old, old guy like myself. It will be helpful."

Rolle has played half as many NFL seasons as Bulluck. But like his new teammate, he was a first-round draft choice (the eighth overall selection in 2005) and a Pro Bowler (in 2009). Rolle also played in Super Bowl XLIII following the 2008 season. He is an accomplished player with an impressive track record who should help inspire his teammates.

"You lead by example," Rolle said. "I've never had any problem doing that in the past and I think I'm going to keep on for as far as I can."

Now he will have the support of Bulluck, with whom he is thrilled to joined forces.

"It was great," he said of Bulluck becoming a Giant. "I met with Keith a few times this offseason, just being around New York. He kept telling me, 'Antrel, put in a word with the coach for me.' When I met up with him today, I said, 'I guess we talked that up pretty good, huh?' But it's a great signing. Keith Bulluck, his resume speaks for itself. You know he's a heck of a player, and I'm extremely excited to have him."

So are the rest of the Giants.

NOTES

*Safety Kenny Phillips and offensive lineman Kevin Boothe were placed on the physically unable to perform list. Phillips missed the final 14 games of the 2009 season after undergoing surgery on his left knee, which was diagnosed with patella femoral arthritis. He has been working out under the direction of the team's athletic training staff, but did not participate in the spring on-field workouts or practices.

Phillips today reiterated what Coughlin said last week - he expects to be on the field before the team leaves Albany.

"I'm pretty sure they'll get me out there sooner than later," Phillips said. "Honestly, I feel real good about it. I mean, it's tested. It's not football tested, but as far as cutting and doing drills and running - I mean, I've been doing this for almost the whole offseason. I'm not worried about that. I'm not worried about being in any pain once I do start. I just have to get used to playing football again."

Phillips has not played since last Sept. 20 in Dallas, where his two interceptions helped the Giants defeat the Cowboys. He is so eager to return to the field, even a training camp practice would be nirvana.

"I mean, I like practice," Phillips said. "To tell you the truth, I really do. I actually feel like a veteran but also a rookie. I mean I only played only one year. I missed all of last season. So it's kind of weird. It won't take me long to pick it up. So reps, I'm not really worried about it."

Nor, he insists, is he harboring doubt about whether he'll soon be on the field.

"No doubt at all," he said. "I feel good. I mean, I worked so hard to get to where I am now, and just watching myself on film doing the drills and everything, I feel real good. I'm not even worried about it."

His coaches are more cautious, but hopeful the Giants' 2008 first-round draft choice will soon return to action.

"He feels real good," Coughlin said. "But they're going to be cautious and I endorse that."

"Right now we're just waiting for him to come back," secondary/safeties coach David Merritt said. "Hopefully, whenever he comes back he's going to be full speed. But everything is still the same as we expected, so his progress is exactly where we wanted it to be and so when he gets out there and runs around then we'll be able to see a little more."

*Phillips and Boothe were the only players who didn't practice. Those two, as well as Bulluck and running back Ahmad Bradshaw, were the only players who didn't take part in this morning's conditioning drill (10 sprints the width of the field and back, with a three-minute break halfway through).

"I guess you'd call (Bulluck's absence) a precaution," Coughlin said. "You've got a guy coming off a seven-month ACL, so I don't think that you're going to right away the first thing you do is run him on a change direction test. And Bradshaw was a precaution although I watched the practice segment that he was involved in and he looked okay to me. It'd be nice if he could stay at a high level."

The linemen distinguished themselves in the conditioning test.

"I can't remember being with a team where all the big guys made it," Coughlin said. "They all made it. Kareem (McKenzie) looked really good. The real big guys looked good."

Running back Gartrell Johnson struggled to finish the drill.

"That's the disappointment right there," Coughlin said. "Now, his weight is down. We have an entire team where no one is overweight."

*The Giants reached the 80-man roster limit by signing safety John Busing, who has played 43 games in four NFL seasons, including all 16 games for the Houston Texans in 2009. Busing was with the team in a spring minicamp.

"Love him," Merritt said of Busing. "We had him here in the spring and John, he's a veteran, and to get John back in here, he's going to compete for a spot. Mark my words on that. He is a guy that is a special teams player and he knows his role. ... He understands his role. There are some guys that you have to try to cater to and make sure you keep them mentally into it, but a guy like John Busing, he understands his role and I am very excited to have him back."

Busing, 6-0 and 222 pounds, started four games for the Texans, including both of Houston's games vs. Jacksonville, vs. Indianapolis on Nov. 29 and the season finale against New England on Jan. 3. He finished the season with 32 tackles (26 solo), an interception (Sept. 13 vs. the Jets) and three passes defensed. Busing also had 12 special teams tackles.

Busing, who played college football at Miami of Ohio, entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006. He was cut at the end of training camp, signed to the practice squad, then was elevated to the active roster on Oct. 14. He played seven games for the Bengals as a rookie.

The scenario - released, practice squad, activated - was repeated the following season, when Busing played in 12 games. In 2008, he was waived on Aug. 20, re-signed by Cincinnati two months later, and played in eight games.

His career totals include 57 tackles (43 solo).

Busing will turn 27 on Sept. 1.

*Bulluck took out a full-page add in Nashville's daily newspaper, The Tennessean, to thank Titans fans for their decade of support.

"No matter where I am now, just being there for 10 years and that organization giving me the opportunity to play in this league - drafting me number one back in 2000 - that's very special," Bulluck said. "Those fans are great fans. You know, I still get embraced by them even when I went back to move my stuff, you know, seeing those people there. So I think I owe that to them and maybe even then some. But to learn, to know that it's football season, and yes I have moved on, and that I'm just thankful for all the memories, the good seasons, the bad seasons, and my last little farewell. Now I'm a New York Giant, and I'm ready to embrace this situation."

*Bulluck is not yet thinking about the season's third game, when the Giants will host the Titans.

"I've got to learn the defense first," he said.

*This afternoon's opening practice stressed fundamentals in position groups and separate offense and defense units. There were no team periods. The Giants will practice twice tomorrow and Tuesday.

"I had planned just a fundamental practice this afternoon just to get them out here and get them going," Coughlin said.

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=44113

some updates as posted by someone on bbi:

Finally, a legit use for Twitter. Let's put 'em here.

ESPN Giants writer Ohm Youngmisuk has a few so far. In chronological order ...

* Welcome to Day 2 of training camp. There's an overcast sky with a 40-percent chance of scattered thunderstorms. It’s supposed to get to 80-degrees today. The Giants have two practices and the first is scheduled for 8:35-10:35 a.m. We get Coach Tom Coughlin after that, followed by player interviews. The second practice is slated for 3:15-5:15.

* TE Boss and LB Bulluck on bikes. Likely will practice in afternoon. S Phillips and OL Boothe watching while on PUP list. #NYG

* Bulluck and Boss now with their individual units. C O'Hara watching the O-line. Likely taking morning practice easy. #NYG

* Looks like WR Nicks (toe) watching practice. Offense now taking on the defense in shorts and shells. #NYG

4 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

* Eli completed nice pass over middle to Manningham. Bradshaw and Jacobs running well. #NYG

2 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

17 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

* DC Perry Fewell just lit into the defense telling them to "get this right!" on a run-stopping drill. #NYG

7 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

crap...

Eric from BBI : 9:41 am

Nicks toe is still bothering him. It was at the mini-camp too.

Mixed up the chronology, but you get the idea.

Beez : 9:42 am

Beez : 9:44 am

* WR Smith beats Webster but ball glances off his outstretched hands. RBs Ware and Brown cutting well. #NYG

1 minute ago via ÜberTwitter

not good

nyynyg : 9:44 am

Seems like the toe is there for a while. Wonder how they could have addressed it, didn't he have a toe issue last season?

GiantInsider Beautiful diving grab by TE hopeful Bear Pascoe.

Beez : 9:50 am

* TE Pascoe just made a nice catch with arms stretched out on pass from Bomar, who had been off prior to that completion. #NYG

half a minute ago via ÜberTwitter

jlukes

Vin_Cuccs : 9:51 am

Agree with your post. I think Nicks is on a one-a-day schedule.

Ralph V. Twits ...

Beez : 9:51 am

... Yelled safeties coach Dave Merritt to Johnson: "Don't be satisfied w/that. You can catch it!"

4 minutes ago via UberTwitter

The new read and react D works. CB Bruce Johnson made a great break on ball to break up a pass from Jim Sorgi to Tim Brown. ... #NYG

5 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Ramses Barden just made a routine catch. I mention that only because I know how you all like to hyperventilate over Ramses Barden. #NYG

6 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Wow, Steve Smith just blew by CB Corey Webster down the sidelines, then let Eli Manning's pass glance off his outstretched fingertips. #NYG

9 minutes ago via UberTwitter

... and WR Mario Manningham (shoulder) making a nice catch on a crossing route over the middle. #NYG

10 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Two good signs: RB Ahmad Bradshaw (ankle/feet) getting the ball twice in team drills and making quick cuts to the outside ... #NYG

11 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Uh oh. Somebody on the scout team angered Perry Fewell ... Word of advice: NEVER anger Perry Fewell. #NYG

20 minutes ago via UberTwitter