SportsWrath

Perry Fewell adding some fire

JMFP

Full Story Here

"He's got energy. He's got enthusiasm," said Giants coach Tom Coughlin. "You'll hear more of him."

That's a big reason why Coughlin hired the 47-year-old after firing Bill Sheridan, to bring the energy and aggression back to his beleaguered unit. Fewell started off fast yesterday morning, imploring his rookies, "Let's get some turnovers! Let's get to the football!" and getting in their faces when they didn't pick up loose balls.

Afterward, Fewell downplayed his yelling, saying, "That's just normal." He has no problem letting his passion for coaching come through.

"I'm passionate about the game," he said. "I enjoy communicating with the players. When they make a good play I'm excited about that. When they make a bad play I try to encourage them to make a better play. Yeah, that's just the way I coach football."

Fewell also likes being in the thick of the action, which is why he plans on calling his defense signals from the field, not the booth. That was an issue last year when Sheridan first said he preferred to coach from the booth to avoid sideline "chaos," and then never seemed comfortable after Coughlin and his players forced him to change.

"I'd love to be on the sidelines," said Fewell, who coached from the booth as the defensive coordinator in Buffalo. "That's where the game is played. ... Who doesn't want to be there on Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock with pads clicking?"