SportsWrath

Undrafted Free Agent Micah Johnson Signed

Mr. P

He anxiously waited three days to receive that one phone call all NFL prospects dream of receiving.

But when the final pick of this year's NFL Draft was made, and the last phone call to a prospect was made, Micah Johnson was left wondering where his NFL opportunities awaited.

Johnson — the former Mr. Football in Kentucky his senior year at Fort Campbell — and a thee-time ALL-SEC performer with the Kentucky Wildcats, was expected to be a mid to late round draft pick, but was surprisingly not selected.

But no sooner had the draft ended, Johnson was working on a contingency plan via the free agency route. His opportunity came in the past two days when Johnson was signed as a free agent with the Giants.

The middle inside linebackers will join the Giants on Thursday for this week's rookie minicamps, which start on Friday.

Johnson, who has been with his family in Virginia since the middle of last week, was the second former Fort Campbell standout in as many years to sign as a free agent. Last April, Marcus McClinton, a safety out of Kentucky, signed with the Patriots, however, he never made it through the team's summer OTAs.

Desperately needing to improve their defense, the Giants used two of their picks from this past weekend's draft to address those needs. Nebraska linebacker Phillip Dillard was selected in the fourth round, and William and Mary linebacker Adrian Tracy was picked in the seventh round.

The Giants, who had Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn and Gerris Wilkins on the depth chart at middle linebacker, are also under the new leadership of defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

Johnson considered making the jump into the NFL after his junior season, but didn't grade high with the NFL Advisory Committee. He played with a knee injury most of his senior season, then suffered an MCL injury in the final two minutes of Kentucky's loss to Clemson in the Music City Bowl back in December.

Johnson missed the Senior Bowl, but recovered in time for the NFL Combine and Kentucky's Pro Day. Although NFL scouts were impressed with his physical play against the run, many considered his speed a liability against the pass.

Calls to Johnson were not returned on Tuesday.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20104280329

As much as I love the sarcasm, I truly do, and agree that our MLB depth sucks a fatty, I still don't see this guy making the team.

It was a little more sarcastic than your comment merited. I do apologize for that, just got in from cutting the lawn with a machine that would stall out when engaging the blades. Annoying, to put it kindly.

Anyway, I don't follow college football that much, but I have heard of him--maybe we luck out.

It was a little more sarcastic than your comment merited. I do apologize for that, just got in from cutting the lawn with a machine that would stall out when engaging the blades. Annoying, to put it kindly.

Anyway, I don't follow college football that much, but I have heard of him--maybe we luck out.

I like the sarcasm as I too, think our MLB position is in extremely poor shape. No need to apologize my friend, none at all. Maybe it pans out, maybe not. But I'm not holding my breath.

Just bought a new mower myself the other week. Went to use it for the first time and the damn rope broke. Was fixed for free, but had to wait the better part of a week to get it back. The grass needed mowed badly to begin with. Sucked my asshole hardcore when I finally had the chance to get back at it. So, I share your pain there.