SportsWrath

Jet's Jim Herrmann

Lughead

Jim Herrmann named LB Coach

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

Take this story to go! - icon_rss_11.gif RSS | icon_ipod11.gif Podcast | icon_bberry11.gif Mobile

JANUARY 22, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - Tom Coughlin likes linebacker coaches who worked at the University of Michigan.

09_0122_lb.gif

The Giant have announced the signing of Jim Herrmann as their linebackers coach The Giants’ head coach today announced that the team’s new linebackers coach is Jim Herrmann, who held that position the previous three years with the Jets. Prior to that, Herrmann was on the coaching staff at Michigan, his alma mater, for 20 years, including a nine-year stint as defensive coordinator.

Herrmann, 48, replaces Bill Sheridan, who Monday was named the Giants’ defensive coordinator after Steve Spagnuolo left to become the head coach of the St. Louis Rams. Coughlin hired Sheridan in 2005 from … Michigan, where the new coordinator worked on Herrmann’s defensive staff for three seasons.

“I’ve always been very much aware of Jim Herrmann and the job that he has done,” Coughlin said. “He was the defensive coordinator at the University of Michigan for a lot of years and did an outstanding job. I was very impressed by not only the type of defense that they played but the aggressive style that they played. And he is a part of the (legendary Michigan coach) Bo Schembechler tree. I have always been a great admirer of Bo Schembechler.

“I have had an opportunity to watch (Herrmann) as a collegiate coach. People who have worked with him, Bill Sheridan has worked with him, people that I have respect for in the business have coached with him and have nothing but outstanding things to say about him.”

In 2007, Herrmann helped coach a Jets defense that finished seventh in the NFL against the run (94.9 yards a game) and 16th overall (329.4).

“I am excited to be a part of the Giants,” Herrmann said. “I have watched Coach Coughlin and his teams and the way they have played and how they win, and I like being a part of that.

“I have been a very close friend of Bill’s for a long time and we coached together before at Michigan, so I am looking forward to working with him again. I have always studied Tom and his teams and I look forward to being part of that organization because I know how hard they work and how their players work hard to win.”

Coughlin moved quickly to fill the vacancies on his staff. He promoted Sheridan two days after Spagnuolo left and needed just three more days to hire Herrmann.

“What I really look forward to is the fact that I believe he will hit the ground running,” Coughlin said. “He will make a great contribution to our staff. My goal in losing coaches was to replenish the strength of our staff to try to make us better from a standpoint of our offseason preparation and our thinking and our moving forward in the next year with our team to make us better, to strengthen us as a staff, and I think we have been able to do that.”

Herrmann said he knows about the Giants’ linebackers but not in great detail.

“I don’t know them personally yet,” he said. “I know what I have heard from Bill. As defensive coaches, we don’t really watch other defenses. So I am looking forward to watching film once we come back in as a staff and getting to see how they are as players and then once they come in, get a chance to meet them and start anew.”

This will be an easy physical transition for Herrmann, who moved with the Jets when that franchise relocated to New Jersey in 2007. Perhaps the greater challenge is learning the terminology of the Giants’ defense. Herrmann was already in his office this afternoon studying his new playbook.

“It is learning a new language,” Herrmann said. “A lot of it will probably be similar, a lot of it is the same, just a little tweak here or a tweak there, but yeah it is a language. It is like learning Spanish. You have to be able to go in and talk the language and then be able, once the players come in, to talk the correct language so everybody is on the same page.”

“He is definitely going to have to learn the terminology,” Coughlin said. “In order to communicate with the other members of the staff, you have to be on the same page. A lot of times that is one of the bigger chores, to be able to come in and understand the language of that particular scheme so he has some learning to do. He will do it like we all have done it when we have been involved in changing jobs or moving to a new job. That is, you work all day with the guys and then when they go home you stay there and you study and you learn the ins and outs of a new system.”

On day one in his new job, that’s exactly what Herrmann was doing.

per Giants.com

This will be an easy physical transition for Herrmann, who moved with the Jets when that franchise relocated to New Jersey in 2007. Perhaps the greater challenge is learning the terminology of the Giants’ defense. Herrmann was already in his office this afternoon studying his new playbook.

am i missing something here?

jets moved to new jersey in 2007?