SportsWrath

Does Beckett know what team he plays for?

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Josh Beckett's pitches were as nasty as his demeanor. With one start left before Opening Day, he already appears in midseason form.

Beckett allowed two runs and struck out six in six innings and Tony Graffanino homered, leading the Boston Red Sox to a 3-2 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies on Sunday.

Benches and bullpens emptied before the seventh inning, minutes after Beckett had words with slugger Ryan Howard. Beckett thought Howard took too long to admire his long fly ball to center that was knocked down by the wind and caught in front of the warning track. Beckett yelled at Howard, but nothing happened during the inning.

Beckett looked back into the Phillies' dugout as he walked off the field following the sixth. After Howard ran out to his spot at first base, he threw his glove down, looked into Boston's dugout, talked back to Beckett and walked toward him. Beckett was restrained before he stepped back onto the field and no one threw any punches or shoves.

"I'm about respecting the game. Even if it is a home run, I don't think it's the right thing to do," Beckett said. "It's not like I wanted to fight the guy, but I wanted to make the point that you look like an idiot when you do that and it's an out. It was my fault. I should've let it go. He didn't do that last year when he was hitting a bunch of homers. I guess one season changes you."

I guess he isnt aware that Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz are on his team.

Josh has been known to do this for a long time now. Victor Diaz did the same thing last year and Beckett was obviously pissed off. Ironically, they never seem to be home runs when Beckett yells at these guys for admiring long shots. Diaz got a triple on it.