SportsWrath

Posada broke his nose

so-cal dub

Today before the game. OUCH

TAMPA, Fla. -- Jorge Posada will miss a few days after suffering a broken nose during infield practice before Wednesday night's game against the Red Sox at Legends Field.

"It should be a few days," said general manager Brian Cashman. "It's probably not a DL situation."

Posada was sent to Tampa's St. Joseph's Hospital for X-rays, which revealed a nasal fracture. His nose was scheduled to be realigned on Wednesday night, and he should be reevaluated and released on Thursday.

Posada was playing catch with Kelly Stinnett when the ball struck him on his nose and the top of his left eye. Posada was apparently distracted by another ball when Stinnett's throw hit him, resulting in a bloody nose.

"I thought he was looking at me. It's too bad it happened," said Stinnett, who took Posada's place in the lineup. "We've become pretty good friends. I don't want anything to happen to Jorge."

This is the second time in less than two years that Posada has broken his nose. On May 12, 2004, Anaheim's Alfredo Amezaga hit him in the face with a throw while trying to turn a double play. Posada, who was sliding into second at the time, missed five days after suffering the injury.