SportsWrath

Sabathia is now a Brewer

Sources: Indians agree to deal Sabathia to Brewers for minor leaguers

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 7, 2008, 12:55 AM ET

BBTN: C.C. Sabathia Reportedly Traded To MilwaukeeIt looks like the next time C.C. Sabathia takes the mound he'll be donning a Milwaukee Brewers jersey.

The Brewers and the Cleveland Indians agreed in principle to a deal for the reigning AL Cy Young on Sunday, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. The deal is contingent on paperwork being finished.

ESPN's Peter Gammons reports the move will be made official on Monday morning.

The trade was first reported by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

In a text message to ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson, Sabathia all but confirmed the deal.

"I'm good, excited," Sabathia wrote. "It's weird leaving these guys."

Cleveland would get minor league outfielder Matt LaPorta, who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Double-A Huntsville, and others. The other players do not include top prospects Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel, according to the Journal Sentinel.

Saving Ace?

Is C.C. Sabathia enough to help the Brewers win the NL Central? Here's how Sabathia has fared against the rest of the division*:

A source told ESPN Insider Keith Law the deal does include pitcher Rob Bryson, who is 3-2 with 4.25 ERA this season with low-A affiliate West Virginia. Pitcher Zach Jackson, from Triple-A affiliate Nashville, and a fourth player to be named later round out the package, according to the Journal Sentinel.

The Brewers wanted Sabathia, who rejected a $72 million, four-year extension from the Indians during spring training, on their pitching staff in time to get him two starts before the All-Star break, according to multiple media reports. Sabathia could debut in Milwaukee against the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told the Journal Sentinel on Saturday that a proposal was on table and he awaiting word from Indians GM Mark Shapiro.

"Mark said he'd be in touch with me," said Melvin. "I'm sure they've got to think through everything."

Laporta was scratched from Huntsville's lineup Sunday, another indication the deal was close.

Sabathia went 19-7 with a 3.21 ERA to win the AL Cy Young last season and would give the Brewers another power pitcher to pair with Ben Sheets as Milwaukee, which is second in National League standings behind the Chicago Cubs, tries to make the playoffs for the first time since 1982.

The big lefty is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA for the Indians, but has also been plagued with a lack of run support. In 11 of his 18 starts, Cleveland has scored two runs or less for him.

In trading for C.C. Sabathia, the Brewers might just be getting the ace of the league. Blog

The Brewers starting pitching has been thin ever since Yovani Gallardo went on the disabled list on May 2 with a torn knee ligament that required surgery. His rehab was supposed to take four months, which gives him an outside chance of returning before the end of the season.

Sheets (10-2, 2.77 ERA) is off to the best start of his career, but the All-Star righty is in the final year of a $38.5 million, four-year contract and hasn't wanted to talk about his upcoming free agency.

The Brewers were considered the front-runner in the Sabathia sweepstakes. The Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays were among other teams vying for his services.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Espn.com

looks like the brewers assured themselves a wildcard with that move.

If the Brewers get going, I'd put them against anyone, and now with fattie McFatboy, they could be real fun to watch.

They must have a lot of love for the plus size players. Prince and now CC have to be the fattest dudes at their positions.

If the Brewers get going, I'd put them against anyone, and now with fattie McFatboy, they could be real fun to watch.

They must have a lot of love for the plus size players. Prince and now CC have to be the fattest dudes at their positions.

I hope Sabathia shares his love of cheeseburgers with Fielder.

i don't see them overtaking the cubbies, who will probably make a few moves on their own. as for CC, he's just a rental. definitely going to test the FA markets at year end- probably go to the west coast.