SportsWrath

Down on the farm

Allstarjim

Playing for the Zephyrs in AAA, is tearing the ball up. He has 15 homeruns in just 200 ABs, an OPS over 1.00 which is 4th overall in the PCL, and OBP of .424 if I remember correctly, and is hitting over .300. Best thing about him is that he's a righthanded outfielder. On a team that needs some pop, why not bring this guy up? Is Andy Phillips just that good? We plug this guy in left field and stick him in the order between Church and Delgado, and that is lefty, righty, lefty power hitting bats. I can't imagine how dangerous that lineup could be. Plus he absolutely murders lefthanded pitching, and we need a power bat besides David Wright who does that.

Dude, he is a prospect. We just brought up Andy Phillips for god's sake. I'm not into labels. The guy can mash the ball. Thirty years old is not ancient, he is in his prime years. He's a player that is a right-handed power bat who plays the outfield. What does the Mets lineup lack? A right-handed power hitting outfielder. He would give us more than Alou would have and hasn't because of injuries anyway.

Keep in mind I'm looking for a player that can help us this year and maybe next, I'm not looking at him to be the next great Met to roam left field for the next 10 years.

Dude I totally respect your enthusiasm but you do realize that there is usually a reason why a guy is a career minor leaguer?

This guy was in 3 systems in 2 years for gods sake. he has never proven he could hit MLB pitching and for all intents and purposes does not have the MLB resume of Andy Philips.

He is not the short term, long term or any term answer to the Mets LF troubles. I have to disagree wholeheartedly on this one.

75 k's in 282 at bats in 2008 on TWO different organizations(Phi, Mets) minor league teams. Not exactly what this team needs IMO

Minor league stats

He strikes out a lot too. What I don't understand is why they don't bring this guy up and give him a few at bats instead of Andy Phillips.

Coste was a career minor leaguer too and he is doing pretty well for himself in Philly.

He strikes out a lot too. What I don't understand is why they don't bring this guy up and give him a few at bats instead of Andy Phillips.

Coste was a career minor leaguer too and he is doing pretty well for himself in Philly.

The reason they do not bring him up is because he strikes out way too much at the AAA level. He is what is reffered to as a roster filler for AAA at this point. He hit 177 for the Spos in 04, he has been with 4 organizations, 3 in the last 18 months and is what he is. A career minor leaguer, whom I have to suppose scouts realize is a AAA player.

I think what he is a AAAA player, too good for AAA at this point but will never be good enough for MLB.

In a bench role, LIKE COSTE, I would have no problem, but as the inserted right handed bat in LF? Umm the answer is NO. I am with the Mets on this one.

The reason they do not bring him up is because he strikes out way too much at the AAA level. He is what is reffered to as a roster filler for AAA at this point. He hit 177 for the Spos in 04, he has been with 4 organizations, 3 in the last 18 months and is what he is. A career minor leaguer, whom I have to suppose scouts realize is a AAA player.

I think what he is a AAAA player, too good for AAA at this point but will never be good enough for MLB.

In a bench role, LIKE COSTE, I would have no problem, but as the inserted right handed bat in LF? Umm the answer is NO. I am with the Mets on this one.

I agree, he is a first baseman anyway, so why bother with him in the OF. Alou should be back by the weekend but who knows how much longer he will be around. He should just retire if it happens again. The Mets are going to have to make a move to get an OF before the trade deadline. I will be very pissed off if they trade anyone who is in Binghamton right now.

I agree, he is a first baseman anyway, so why bother with him in the OF. Alou should be back by the weekend but who knows how much longer he will be around. He should just retire if it happens again. The Mets are going to have to make a move to get an OF before the trade deadline. I will be very pissed off if they trade anyone who is in Binghamton right now.

I would have no problem with like a Marcus Thames or someone like that, a righty bat that I know can at the least hit majoe league pitching and be serviceable. We just cannot count on Alou for any extended period anymore.

I think another guy who we are missing and who knows when he will be back is Pagan. I am not saying he is an every day starter in left field but he did a pretty decent job, better than the others who had played in that position. I think the outfield was pretty stable with Pagan, Bel-Tran and Church out there. If we can find that guy who can possibly split time out there and we do not have to give up anyone prospects. Maybe having a three way split with Endy subbing in late in the game like he has been doing. I am not sure how much it would take to trade for Thames. That is the one thing we need, major league serviceable.

Unfortunately I don't think we can do that. We would have to trade for another pitcher or so. Our pitching hasn't been bad but not good. Pedro looks like crap and say if we trade away Perez, what do we do? I am not content what we have in AAA. Too bad Parnell and Niese aren't ready. Both might be promoted soon. Parnell had a great May and June going 8-2.

• 1 month later...