SportsWrath

As the World Turns...

Sephiroth

Kink

Many unhappy returns

More like internal bleeding at this point.

Trade rumors have swirled throughout the offseason, and last weekend Shockey said, "Unlike the Giants, I'm going to keep quiet" about his situation. Shockey remained true to that promise by not joining his teammates for lunch in the stadium club, where the media were conducting interviews.

Advertisement

Shockey's decision to skip practice obviously wasn't one with which coach Tom Coughlin agreed. When asked if there was a good reason Shockey wasn't on the field, Coughlin said, "Well, not really."

According to someone familiar with the latest developments in the Shockey situation, the four-time Pro Bowl tight end continues to insist he will sit out training camp and perhaps the upcoming season if he doesn't get one of two things: fewer blocking assignments or a trade.

The person, who requested anonymity because of Reese's "internal business" policy, said the Giants want Shockey in his old role and don't want to trade him but might be forced to do so. The person said the team might also have to bench him or send him home (a la the Eagles and Terrell Owens in 2005) if he attends camp and continues to be a distraction.

"He's not practicing right now because he's still rehabilitating his ankle," said Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Shockey, Burress and Owens. "He's not in a position to practice right now."

But Burress is ready after rehabbing the injuries he played through last season. It's just that his contract situation doesn't have him in a practicing kind of mood, especially after Owens recently got a new four-year, $34 million contract from the Cowboys and Randy Moss was given a three-year, $27 million deal from the Patriots as a free agent.

"They went out and took care of their players," said Burress, who had 70 catches and 12 touchdowns last season, not to mention the game-winning catch in Super Bowl XLII.

Burress said he should be getting paid as much as the top receivers in the league before contradicting that statement by saying he's not asking for the $9 million-per-year rate Moss and Owens have gotten.

But someone who spoke with Burress after Javon Walker signed a six-year, $55 million deal with the Raiders said he was angry about a player coming off two knee injuries in three years getting that kind of money. The contract Burress signed with the Giants in 2005 averages more than $5 million per season.

If that rate isn't raised before July 24, when the players report for camp in Albany, N.Y., what will Burress do?

"I have a pretty good idea what I'll do," he said.

That would be holding out. And he might not be the only one running that route.

Mike Garafolo may be reached

at mgarafolo@starledger.com.

One thing puzzles me. When TC was questioned as to whether or not there was a good reason Shock wasn't practicing, he said, "not really." Is this because of TC's history of being intolerant of injuries or because Jeremy is being a crybaby?

At either rate, from my point of view, it's looking more and more like Shockey may have worn the blue for the last time. :/