SportsWrath

Mets (17-15) vs. Reds (14-21)

RandolphScott

Let's Go Mets!

Preview of the Games

The diagnosis given to the media was "bruise." And that was the rub. For more than a month, Mets reliever Matt Wise had been assigned to the disabled list. The reason: a simple bruise of the right forearm. At least that's what his colleagues believed. And when Wise rejoined them -- though not officially -- Friday, they let him hear it.

"A month for a bruise?"

"Everybody's giving me a hard time about it," Wise said. "But it really was a strained muscle."

A muscle strain clearly would have prompted fewer comments and less playful clubhouse commentary.

"Everyone's had something to say, but me," Joe Smith said. "All I said was, 'Thank you.'"

Smith has understood since Spring Training that his place on the big league roster was dependent on the health and availability of other relief pitchers. When Duaner Sanchez was unable to begin the season on the active roster, Smith had a big league job. And a week before Sanchez's return -- April 15, Wise finally was assigned to the disabled list, affording Smith extended job security.

But now Wise has rejoined the team, though he hasn't been added to the roster. When he is, Smith will be optioned to Triple-A, despite his effective pitching. That is the plan, a person in the Mets hierarchy said Friday. But the postponement of the Mets' game against the Reds on Friday night, the resulting doubleheader on Saturday and the chance for bullpen overload in two games prompted the club to retain Smith on the roster.

If Smith pitches in the first game, he could be assigned to the Minor Leagues to accommodate Wise on the roster for the second game. If Smith doesn't pitch in the first game, the Mets might not make a roster move until Sunday. And if Smith isn't used in the doubleheader, the club could not make a move with Wise until after Smith does pitch.

"If anything's going to happen," Smith said, "I'd like to get it over with."

He understands the reasoning -- the club has options on his contract. It has none on the contract of Jorge Sosa, who would be the more likely candidate for demotion if options were not a consideration. Sosa's flexibility -- he can pitch three or four innings if needed -- also is a factor.

Wise says he doesn't know what the plan is. How could he? He's delighted merely to be back with the big league team. Port St. Lucie, Fla., can wear on a guy, and he has spent most of the last three months there in the sprawling burg where the Mets train.

"Lots of Chili's and the Outback," he said. "I let the waiters and waitresses order for me. They know I've had almost everything on the menus."

Pitching matchup

Game 1:

CIN: RHP Matt Belisle (1-2, 6.91 ERA)

David Wright, Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado have a .381 average in 21 composite at-bats against Belisle. Right-handed hitters are batting .322 in 30 at-bats against him this season. Left-handed hitters are batting .324 in 37 at-bats. In his career, he has allowed 61 hits in 164 at-bats with runners in scoring position and two outs -- a .372 average. Pelfrey's corresponding figures are 17 hits in 68 at-bats, a .250 average.

NYM: LHP Johan Santana (3-2, 2.91 ERA)

Santana has allowed 48 baserunners and struck out 47 in 46 1/3 innings. His career numbers against the Reds are poor -- 0-0 record and 6.14 ERA. He twice pitched against them, in 2000 and '01.

Game 2:

CIN: RHP Bronson Arroyo (1-4, 8.63 ERA)

Arroyo's most recent start, Sunday against the Braves, was the shortest of his career, 1 1/3 innings. He allowed seven runs in the second inning. His previous start produced his lone victory. Two of his five career complete games have come in his four most recent starts against the Mets. He was 2-1 with a 2.18 ERA in those four starts (33 innings).

NYM: RHP Mike Pelfrey (2-2, 5.27 ERA)

After winning his first two starts, Pelfrey has produced a no-decision and then two losses and hasn't completed the sixth in any one of the three. Moreover, his ERA in the 15 1/3 innings of those three starts is 8.22, and he has allowed 38 baserunners. His ground ball outs to fly ball outs ratio for his first two starts was 26-4. Since then, it has been 23-22.

Tidbits

As expected, the Mets added catcher Ramon Castro to their roster, designating catcher Raul Casanova for assignment. The club hopes Casanova will clear waivers so it can retain his services. He exceeded expectations with his .283 batting average and six RBIs in 46 at-bats. Castro had expected to play Saturday -- a day game after a night game -- but the doubleheader Saturday all but guarantees him a start. ... Catcher Brian Schneider says he now is able to start five of six games, so the Mets were comfortable about activating Castro. Schneider said his legs lost strength and stamina when he was unable to play because of his infected left thumb. ... The lineup for Friday night's game had Delgado batting seventh for the first time since Sept. 30, 1995. He accepted the assignment -- he didn't call it a demotion. The order also had Luis Castillo batting second. The batting order had Ryan Church batting fifth, Moises Alou sixth, Delgado seventh and Schneider eighth, seemingly providing greater depth than any of the other 20 orders Willie Randolph had used in the first 32 games.

Pedro Martinez threw 60 pitches -- some to hitters, some not -- on Friday in the most significant step to date in his recovery from a hamstring strain. The club was encouraged that he threw so many pitches and that he threw his entire repertoire. There is no schedule for his next pitching episode, but it is likely to come Monday, and no speculation about his return to active duty.

This day in Mets history -- May 10: Tom Seaver provided a lesson in overcoming adversity on this date in 1969. He pitched a complete game and beat the Astros despite walking six, throwing two wild pitches an enduring an error and passed ball. The error, passed ball and one of the wild pitches occurred in the seventh inning when the Astros scored their lone run in the Mets' 3-1 victory at Shea Stadium. ... Buddy Harrelson's two-out single against Wade Blasingame in the seventh inning was responsible for the run production in the Mets' 2-1 victory against the Astros at Shea on May 10, 1971. Harrelson had 32 RBIs in 618 plate appearances that year.

Hot-cold, hot-cold. The Mets of 1975 lost, 7-1, to the Reds at Shea on this date, extending their losing streak to six. They had played 24 games and already had losing streaks of six and five games and a winning streak of seven. A victory against the Reds on May 11 was the beginning of a five-game winning streak. June brought two winning streaks of four games and one seven-game losing streak. The Mets of '75 finished with an 82-80 record, as did the Mets of 2001. No Mets team has finished with a .500 record.

On this date in 1982, Padres manager Dick Williams had left-handed reliever Gary Lucas intentionally walk Mets pinch-hitter George Foster with a runner on second base and first base unoccupied, putting the winning run on base with two out in the ninth inning. A double by pinch-hitter Bob Bailor scored Elis Valentine and pinch-runner Wally Backman, and the Mets won, 3-2, at Shea. Randy Jones, prospering under the tutelage of manager George Bamberger, pitched a complete game, putting his record at 4-1 and beating his former team for the first and only time in his career.

Linkage

Glad I went to the 1st game and did not stay for this one.

But hey were starting to hit, no worries. Plus CyYoung Arroyo is at 100 pitches now.

You know, you guys really suck balls. Next time you go to a game PM ME and if I'm

working I CAN HOOK YOU UP.

You know, you guys really suck balls. Next time you go to a game PM ME and if I'm

Ah man I would have. I got there about 10:30 with my father in law(he drove) I pounded a few beers in the lot with an egg sandwich and we went inside. ABout Noon we went up to the Diamond Club for a few drinks(more than a few for me) and went back down to our seats in the loge sec 27 at about 12:45. What I need you to do is send me some of them beers in the aluminum bottle, it makes even shitty Bud Light taste good.

Good time today, Citifield looks so nice I am pumped for 2009(cause the well we have a new stadium and aint winning shit in 2008)

Ah man I would have. I got there about 10:30 with my father in law(he drove) I pounded a few beers in the lot with an egg sandwich and we went inside. ABout Noon we went up to the Diamond Club for a few drinks(more than a few for me) and went back down to our seats in the loge sec 27 at about 12:45. What I need you to do is send me some of them beers in the aluminum bottle, it makes even shitty Bud Light taste good.

Good time today, Citifield looks so nice I am pumped for 2009(cause the well we have a new stadium and aint winning shit in 2008)

I actually didn't work today, it was my brothers communion and I couldn't miss it.

Can you imagine, the Mets win 1 and lose 1?

Mind boggling when you consider this is what they have done now FOR 1 WHOLE FUCKING YEAR! :furious:

Can Pom Pom Jim tell me how they are gonna start hitting again. Wait wait I know, its 58 degrees and they will hit when it gets warm, like say we were in the Dominican or Puerto Rico <_<

I'm gonna be at Shea July 12th against the rockies and september 6th against the phils. Both on Saturday.

Glad I went to the 1st game and did not stay for this one.

But hey were starting to hit, no worries. Plus CyYoung Arroyo is at 100 pitches now.

You expected an old team to hit well in back to back games of a double header?

I'm pretty pleased after the last 4. Our big guys are hitting, Castillo should be out for a bit... all we need is our left side of the infield to start hitting more.

Even though he had trouble AGAIN in the 6th I'm very happy with Perez today. He got a lot of swings and misses, which shows his stuff is coming back and his location is getting better. Swings and misses had been rare for him so far this year.

You expected an old team to hit well in back to back games of a double header?

I'm pretty pleased after the last 4. Our big guys are hitting, Castillo should be out for a bit... all we need is our left side of the infield to start hitting more.

Even though he had trouble AGAIN in the 6th I'm very happy with Perez today. He got a lot of swings and misses, which shows his stuff is coming back and his location is getting better. Swings and misses had been rare for him so far this year.

Well considering that Anderson, Easley, Chavez and Castro started for some older players and Church yeah I did. Its not like the guys that played both games are old, Wright, Reyes, Beltran etc. I think Willie handled that wonderfully getting all the key bench guys playing time and resting some of the older injury prone guys like Alou and Castillo. Problem is they made a guy with am 8.63 ERA look like Greg Maddux circa 1995.

Well considering that Anderson, Easley, Chavez and Castro started for some older players and Church yeah I did. Its not like the guys that played both games are old, Wright, Reyes, Beltran etc. I think Willie handled that wonderfully getting all the key bench guys playing time and resting some of the older injury prone guys like Alou and Castillo. Problem is they made a guy with am 8.63 ERA look like Greg Maddux circa 1995.

I didn't see the game but according to Keith it was more of Arroyo being on his A game then we think. A year or two ago he had an exceptional season.

Willie has Johan going against the Nats on Thursday... the rain out tomorrow hopefully will force him to pitch game 1 against the Yanks.

Pelfrey and Johan pitched the same day, Pelfrey should be the one going Thursday.

Well Easley and Anderson are no spring chickens themselves! I mean, Easley will be 39 years old later this year. Anderson is 35.

Well Easley and Anderson are no spring chickens themselves! I mean, Easley will be 39 years old later this year. Anderson is 35.

Oh so sitting on the bench all day in the first game with nothing to do made them tired for the second game?

This logic holds absolutely no merit based on the fact that THEY DID NOT PLAY the 1st game. Had they all played 9 innings at 1 and played another 9 at 7 then yes this would hold true, otherwise the age of the reppacements of the aging veterans is irrelevant as for them this was their first game.

Oh so sitting on the bench all day in the first game with nothing to do made them tired for the second game?

This logic holds absolutely no merit based on the fact that THEY DID NOT PLAY the 1st game. Had they all played 9 innings at 1 and played another 9 at 7 then yes this would hold true, otherwise the age of the reppacements of the aging veterans is irrelevant as for them this was their first game.

Ok I see your point. But clearly Willie didn't put his best 8 guys out on the field. Either way, I'm not going to be worried about one loss where 4 backups who obviously didn't have their timing down were playing. The positive you take from the whole series is that the starters who were struggling at the plate are getting hot at the same time... remember me mentioning something about that? :P Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, and Castillo are all coming out of slumps and are hitting, and even Wright a little as well, with Church continuing to crush the ball. They did score 21 runs in the series and that is a great sign.

Ok I see your point. But clearly Willie didn't put his best 8 guys out on the field. Either way, I'm not going to be worried about one loss where 4 backups who obviously didn't have their timing down were playing. The positive you take from the whole series is that the starters who were struggling at the plate are getting hot at the same time... remember me mentioning something about that? :P Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, and Castillo are all coming out of slumps and are hitting, and even Wright a little as well, with Church continuing to crush the ball. They did score 21 runs in the series and that is a great sign.

Better news was starters giving them a bit more length, getting at least 6 out of all 3, plau Maines 8.1 on Wednesday. Bullpen looks a whole hell of a lot better when they are not abused day after day.

I expect more 7-8 inning outings out of the best pitcher in baseball soon and I expect Maine to get better. I am still worried about Ollie, but he did look better Sunday.