SportsWrath

Mets vs. Diamondbacks Series Thread

RandolphScott

Game Preview

What could have been is about to meet what has become.

For much of the last offseason, the Mets remained unsure whether or not they would have the prospects necessary to trade for Johan Santana, forcing them to pursue other options. One such avenue led directly to Oakland, where the Athletics were busy dangling their ace, Dan Haren, in front of anyone interested. And the Mets were interested.

Their curiosity dissolved only after the A's dealt Haren south to Arizona, where he's since become a staple in perhaps the league's best rotation. And so on Sunday afternoon, the Mets will have their first opportunity to pit the pitcher they've committed to for the next six years -- Santana -- against the pitcher they otherwise might have acquired.

"I think it's going to be a good game," first baseman Carlos Delgado said. "At least, it looks that way. We're throwing our best pitcher out there, and they're throwing one of their best pitchers out there. It's got the makings of a pitching duel."

The Mets are well aware of their own ace's credentials. Santana's 3.12 ERA has buoyed him to the team lead with three wins -- a number that could be higher had poor run support not cost him twice already this season. Now they'll take their first look at Haren, who has posted nearly identical statistics to Santana: a 4-1 record and 3.13 ERA.

Should the Mets defeat him, they'll win their fourth straight series at Chase Field.

"You spend some time here and you feel comfortable," manager Willie Randolph said, lauding the park's "fast" surface. "You've got a great hitting background here. It's a nice ballpark, and sometimes, the players just feel comfortable in certain environments."

Pitching matchup

NYM: LHP Johan Santana (3-2, 3.12 ERA)

The only hits Santana allowed in his 5 2/3 innings against the Pirates on Tuesday were two home runs, the sixth and seventh he has surrendered in 40 1/3 innings. And one of them came in the first inning, marking the first time that Santana has surrendered a homer in the first inning this season. He did so 10 times last season, when he led the American League with 33 home runs allowed. For his career, Santana has never allowed a home run to the Diamondbacks, instead beating them twice in two starts with a 0.56 ERA.

ARI: RHP Dan Haren (4-1, 3.13 ERA)

The former A's right-hander has combined with Brandon Webb to create one of the top 1-2 punches in the National League. In his last outing on Monday night at home in a 5-3 victory over the Astros, Haren went 7 2/3 innings, and he was perfect for the first four before allowing two runs on three hits and two walks in the fifth.

Tidbits

Catcher Brian Schneider said that his left thumb would need another day to heal, pegging his return for Monday at the earliest. ... Ramon Castro caught seven innings for Class A St. Lucie on Friday night, finishing 0-for-2 with two walks. ... Moises Alou has eight hits in 14 career at-bats against Haren, including two doubles and two home runs.

Linkage

Heilman fucking sucks.

He has to get his head straight man. You can tell he would be able to dominate any hitter, but he can't get out of his own damn way.

This game really got away from us. I'm disappointed in Duaner today.

Do you think Sanchez would have gotten booed out of Shea yesterday? :rolleyes:

He has to get his head straight man. You can tell he would be able to dominate any hitter, but he can't get out of his own damn way.

Do you think Sanchez would have gotten booed out of Shea yesterday? :rolleyes:

Some would boo, not I. It takes consistent suckitude to earn a boo from me. And that means like 5 appearances in a row or more. Like Heilman.

Well what do ya know, the pen blows one again.

How about a starter being under 100 pitches before the 6th inning? Might help the pen a bit. I did not need to have the team spend 137 mil to get another 6 inning pitcher.

How about a starter being under 100 pitches before the 6th inning? Might help the pen a bit. I did not need to have the team spend 137 mil to get another 6 inning pitcher.

shhhhhh, he's adjusting to New York and NL batters.

We just took 2 out of 3 from the team with the best record in baseball whose starters were a combined 14-1 heading into the weekend.

Not bad. Take momentum into LAD.

Johan's gotta be more economical.

We just took 2 out of 3 from the team with the best record in baseball whose starters were a combined 14-1 heading into the weekend.

Not bad. Take momentum into LAD.

Johan's gotta be more economical.

It it possible that Johan throws too many strikes? My god foul ball after foul ball.

It it possible that Johan throws too many strikes? My god foul ball after foul ball.

some pitchers are like that- every at bat is 8- 9 pitches. jason schmidt comes to mind. mostly high strikeout pitchers.

And did you notice that Darling was all johan's great strike to ball ratio but ignored that he had like 75 pitches through 4 innings.

I'm happy Willie put him out there in the sixth, and stuck with him with the bases loaded. He's your ace, push him past 110.