SportsWrath

Mets (10-9) vs. Nationals (6-15) 7:10 PM

RandolphScott

Game Preview

The Mets have nothing on the Washington Nationals.

While the Mets are on the skids lately, losers of three in a row and getting outscored 15-2 in a two-game series at Chicago, the Nationals are owners of the worst record in baseball.

So it's reasonably safe to say it's a perfect time for the Mets to make their first trip to Nationals Park.

Outfielder Ryan Church and catcher Brian Schneider get to play in Washington, D.C., for the first time as Mets, against the club that dealt them to New York for prospect Lastings Milledge this offseason. Church, who's off to a hot start in New York, said he's looking forward to seeing Nationals Park in action.

"It's going to be nice to see the final product," he said. "We took a lot of tours during the season as it was getting built. Seeing it on TV, it's quite a spectacle."

Church has held down right field this year, starting the first 18 games (until Tuesday) and hitting .338 with 11 RBIs, which tied him for second on the club with fellow newcomer Angel Pagan.

Church carved out a good reputation in four seasons with Montreal/Washington, but he wasn't too wistful in advance of his first trip back to the nation's capital as a visiting player. He picked up four hits, including a home run, in a three-game sweep over the Nats earlier this month.

"The biggest thing is missing the fans and obviously the relationships you built with the players," he said. "But I'll be playing plenty of games against them over the next years."

Church got a day off Tuesday in Chicago, but he will be back in right Wednesday as Johan Santana goes for his second straight victory.

The Mets could use Church's bat after scoring just one run for the second consecutive game.

"We need our top of the order guys to get on base and our guys in the middle of the order to drive them in," Mets third baseman David Wright said. "It seems like we have one chance in every game to have a big inning, and if we don't take advantage of that opportunity, we don't score any runs."

Pitching matchup

NYM: LHP Johan Santana (2-2, 3.25 ERA)

Santana won his last start in impressive fashion, striking out 10 in a 4-2 win at Philadelphia. Santana gave up three runs and four hits in seven-plus innings, but also issued no walks. Santana threw 105 pitches, 70 for strikes. He pitched against the Nats last season while with the Twins, taking the loss in a 3-1 defeat.

WSH: RHP Tim Redding (3-1, 3.27 ERA)

Redding's performance has been one of the bright spots in a tough month for the Nationals. He's earned three of the team's five victories, including the last one, a 6-4 win over Florida. He struck out 10 and gave up three hits in six innings, including a two-run homer. He only walked one.

Tidbits

Before Tuesday's game, Mets manager Willie Randolph, given a prompt, spoke eloquently for several minutes about modern baserunners' seeming reluctance to barrel into a base to break up double plays or simple outs, whether by hard slide or forearm shiver. The Mets, he said, are as guilty of this as any team and proved it a few times Monday night. "It's not the norm," Randolph said, while relating some of his playing experience. "An umpire might call interference, because he doesn't see it regularly." Randolph then bemoaned his team's inability to execute fundamental defensive plays after Tuesday's loss. ... Right-hander Joe Smith gave up one run on three consecutive hits in the seventh Tuesday. He had given up just two earned runs and four hits in 9 2/3 innings this season. ... Carlos Beltran drew two walks Tuesday to give him 14 in his last 14 starts.

Linkage

Serious question here, does anyone really think that the Mets are more than a .500 team?

Delgado plays like this as well as Castillo they may be a below .500 team <_>

Right now there are no clutch hitters on this team. Reyes used to be a good clutch hitter but I don't know what has happened.

Honestly, I think they can be a team that can win 90-95 games. Right now they are not playing like it. I will give Delgado a few more weeks until I want him out of the lineup. Castillo is pretty useless but he is decent in the field and I don't like him batting second. He cannot hit for shit on the left side but still has good speed. I rather see him bat on the right more often.

Seems like there have been a lot of hot/cold streaks so far this year.

Right now there are no clutch hitters on this team. Reyes used to be a good clutch hitter but I don't know what has happened.

Honestly, I think they can be a team that can win 90-95 games. Right now they are not playing like it. I will give Delgado a few more weeks until I want him out of the lineup. Castillo is pretty useless but he is decent in the field and I don't like him batting second. He cannot hit for shit on the left side but still has good speed. I rather see him bat on the right more often.

Seems like there have been a lot of hot/cold streaks so far this year.

Your last statement says it all, because that is not just "this year" with this bunch. Ite been on going since last May.

IMO this team is as poorly put together as a team can be. Delgado is just done. Castillo is nothing more than a punch and judy hitter with bad legs.

They are old at key positions and other than Wright, Reyes, beltran and to some extent Church who on this team is in their prime as an everyday player?

I have said it all year, since February, this team is going to disappoint. I hope I am wrong, but early returns sadly look right on.

Your last statement says it all, because that is not just "this year" with this bunch. Ite been on going since last May.

IMO this team is as poorly put together as a team can be. Delgado is just done. Castillo is nothing more than a punch and judy hitter with bad legs.

They are old at key positions and other than Wright, Reyes, beltran and to some extent Church who on this team is in their prime as an everyday player?

I have said it all year, since February, this team is going to disappoint. I hope I am wrong, but early returns sadly look right on.

What are we going to do at the first base position? Delgado is so pathetic. We have Evens and Carp in AA Binghamton who have both so far being having a monstrous start to the season. Both are batting above .400 and have over 5 homers. F-Mart isn't playing bad either and also has played a few games at first. There is no one in AAA New Orleans. I cannot trust Michel Abreu. If Pagan could play first when Alou comes back, that can be a solution but I doubt it. In reality, we might be stuck with Delgado the whole year.

What are we going to do at the first base position? Delgado is so pathetic. We have Evens and Carp in AA Binghamton who have both so far being having a monstrous start to the season. Both are batting above .400 and have over 5 homers. F-Mart isn't playing bad either and also has played a few games at first. There is no one in AAA New Orleans. I cannot trust Michel Abreu. If Pagan could play first when Alou comes back, that can be a solution but I doubt it. In reality, we might be stuck with Delgado the whole year.

I think Church has played first..... maybe Santana!