SportsWrath

Well Well Well, look who is on the trading block

xxi-xxv

RAYS MAY DANGLE KAZMIR - HEAR THAT, METS? SAY RAY! As the GM Meetings get under way, word is the Devil Rays could test the trade market by offering ace lefty - and former Met prospect

- Scott Kazmir. November 5, 2007 -- ORLANDO - The free- agent market is deep in center fielders, Scott Boras clients and Grade C possibilities - and all of it is expected to be very expensive.

"It will be worse than a C [grade]," an NL executive countered. "And because of that, all trade possibilities will be explored by the majority of teams."

Read An Excerpt From Joel's Book

The trade market opens in earnest today with the start of the annual GM Meetings. Already, executives are talking about the potential for stars as big as Minnesota ace Johan Santana and Florida slugger Miguel Cabrera becoming available.

But it might just start there. An executive familiar with Tampa's thinking said if the offers for Santana grow to a substantial level, then the Rays would test to see what they could get for Scott Kazmir.

The thinking is that because Kazmir is three years from free agency as opposed to one year for Santana, he might bring nearly as much in return.

The Rays need multiple high-end pitchers, and Kazmir, just about to enter arbitration eligibility for the first time, might be too expensive and ready to depart just as Tampa is projecting contention in two to three years.

How comical would it be if the Mets, with their No. 1 need being a No. 1 starter, found themselves trying to trade for Kazmir 3½ seasons after getting Victor Zambrano for him?

The Devil Rays might not be the only team surprisingly putting a young, high-ceiling pitcher on the market. There is a lot of buzz that the Giants would consider moving Tim Lincecum as a way to address their paucity of young, impact position players.

Interestingly, Lincecum is just the type of young, talented, controllable pitcher Tampa is pursuing, and the Rays have a boatload of young positional talent. The Rays have essentially made only B.J. Upton, whom they perceive as a top-flight center fielder for years, an untouchable. That means players such as Carl Crawford and Delmon Young could be had in the right deal.

link

If you can GET HIM!!!!

Of course he probably has a hidden elbow problem because Duquette will be right and he is too small to pitch all those innings, but I would still love him.

I think the Yanks are in better position than the Mets to pluck Kazmir from the Rays without giving up their three potential studs, Hughes, Kennedy and Joba. They can offer second tier pitchers like Wright, Karstens, and Desalvo, who has great stuff but no confidence.

I think the Yanks are in better position than the Mets to pluck Kazmir from the Rays without giving up their three potential studs, Hughes, Kennedy and Joba. They can offer second tier pitchers like Wright, Karstens, and Desalvo, who has great stuff but no confidence.

The Rays will never do business with the Yanks. And the Rays would take nothing less than a top tier prospect

You think the Yankees are in a better position than everybody in the whole

league when it comes to free agents and trades.

Your GM traded away Kazmir for VZ. Do you really think he'd trade away your future to get him back?

The Yanks may not have more trade bait than anyone, but they certainly have more than the Mets right now.

Umm, I am gonna be as nice as I possibly can here. You need to get your facts STRAIGHT. Our G.M. Omar Minaya, hired in October 2004 DID NOT and I repeat DID NOT trade Scott Kazmir for "VZ" as you say. That trade was made in July 2004, at the trade deadline, by then G.M. Jim Duquette.

Basically, what you just said holds ZERO MERIT and what was done BY ANOTHER GM would have no bearing on WHAT THE CURRENT GM would DO.

GOT IT?

Posters note: I am sure in the context of this thread that this fact/correction of the great insight by Ditto will go ignored.

Umm, I am gonna be as nice as I possibly can here. You need to get your facts STRAIGHT. Our G.M. Omar Minaya, hired in October 2004 DID NOT and I repeat DID NOT trade Scott Kazmir for "VZ" as you say. That trade was made in July 2004, at the trade deadline, by then G.M. Jim Duquette.

Basically, what you just said holds ZERO MERIT and what was done BY ANOTHER GM would have no bearing on WHAT THE CURRENT GM would DO.

GOT IT?

Posters note: I am sure in the context of this thread that this fact/correction of the great insight by Ditto will go ignored.

Okay, my bad about who traded Kazmir away. But if the Mets have so much potential to trade for quality players, who was there to help salvage your season?

Okay, my bad about who traded Kazmir away. But if the Mets have so much potential to trade for quality players, who was there to help salvage your season?

Well I am not quite sure what you mean, I think you are asking where the young player was to help save them? If that is what you are asking my answer is that there was no young player in any position that could help. Gomez and Martinez are position players that were not gonna crack the lineup and the two young pitchers were September callups, who were used sparingly(although Pelfrey did pitch a gem in a 3 game sweep of Atlanta in early sept).

You do realize that its very rare for a team with a 100 million plus payroll to lean on a young player to "salvage" their season as you say. Now I know you are going to give me the Joba facts and in that case you would be correct, but the Mets did not use any of their young players in that role and how often does a young mid season call up mean that much to a team that make the playoffs? Maybe once every few years or so, names like Miguel Cabrera and Gregg Jeffries come to mind. The disaster that was the end of the Met season had nothing to do with not having any young players and everything to do with the fact that Tom Glavine and Billy Wagner could not get big outs when they needed them all month of September.