SportsWrath

Coughlin

Lughead

Tom Coughlin unhappy with Lawrence Tynes

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, October 29th 2007, 4:00 AM

LONDON - Another missed field goal for Lawrence Tynes means another week with his job status up in the air.

Once again, Tom Coughlin seemed unhappy with Tynes, the Greenock, Scotland, product, who missed what could have been a critical, 29-yard field goal with 11:43 left in the game. He made his other two kicks, from 20 and 41 yards in the first half, but Coughlin could not hide his anger over the one miss, a "thing that would have been very regrettable had the Dolphins come back."

"It would have been 16-3 at that time," Coughlin said. "I thought that margin would have given us a huge advantage."

Tynes (12 of 15 on FGs and 20 of 22 on extra points) pushed the kick wide left, and it didn't have much distance, either. After he kicked, he looked down at the turf and appeared to try to repair a divot. However, replays did not show his foot slipping.

Asked if the field had anything to do with it, Coughlin said, "I don't know. Lawrence felt comfortable about his shoes. He continuously said, 'I have the right shoes on.'"

GREAT HEIGHTS: The most athletic play of the game may have been made by guard Rich Seubert. Early in the second half, RB Brandon Jacobs was hit by Dolphins S Jason Allen and the ball popped loose and went high up in the air.

The 6-3, 310-pound Seubert saw it, jumped high up and grabbed the loose ball.

"I saw the ball up there and it looked like a big, old cheeseburger," Seubert said. :P

His fellow offensive linemen, not surprisingly, gave him a good ribbing for the play.

"He didn't really jump," said RT Kareem McKenzie. "He stepped on someone." :P

"I thought the leap was great, but I thought his run after contact was pretty poor," added C Shaun O'Hara. "He has to work on that."

NICKED: CB Kevin Dockery, the Giants' nickel back, missed the second half "with what I hope is not a serious shoulder injury," Coughlin said. The team reported no other injuries. ... RB Derrick Ward (ankle), S James Butler (hamstring/ankle) and WR Steve Smith (shoulder/hamstring) were unable to play yesterday. Butler's absence gave rookie Michael Johnson his first NFL start.

GLOBE TROTTERS: The Giants are now 4-2 in international games, including a 2-2 record in Canada and one win in Germany. This, of course, was their first international regular-season game. The Dolphins are now 4-1 in international games. ... The Giants are just the fifth team in NFL history, and only the second in the last 33 years, to open a season 0-2 and then rattle off six straight wins

I wonder If Tynes has his mind on Home . I mean his wife had Premature twins before the season started . I wonder if there is Something going on with the boys. I tell you what it will do something to you .My son had a Kidney removed when he was 1 year old and the month leading up to the operation I didn't realy have my mind on my work.

Now I am not saying there is anything wrong, Nore am I defending him . I just get this gut feeling something is making Coughlin hold on to Tynes Kinda like "I got your back" the New Wave '07 Coughlin. Why would a coach sign a guy that got out kicked in preseason? He did miss some time when the kids were born. He got a "take all the time you need " pass form Coughlin then.

I wonder If Tynes has his mind on Home . I mean his wife had Premature twins before the season started . I wonder if there is Something going on with the boys. I tell you what it will do something to you .My son had a Kidney removed when he was 1 year old and the month leading up to the operation I didn't realy have my mind on my work.

Now I am not saying there is anything wrong, Nore am I defending him . I just get this gut feeling something is making Coughlin hold on to Tynes Kinda like "I got your back" the New Wave '07 Coughlin. Why would a coach sign a guy that got out kicked in preseason? He did miss some time when the kids were born. He got a "take all the time you need " pass form Coughlin then.

That's a fair point Lug, but he's missing chip shots. If he felt that he wasn't in the right frame of mind, he should have said so.