SportsWrath

Rangers sign Lundqvist

Lundqvist re-signed.

NEW YORK (CP) - Goaltender Henrik Lundqvist will get US$4.25 million in a one-year NHL contract with the New York Rangers.

The 25-year-old Swede, who was a restricted free agent before the new deal was announced Wednesday, made $817,000 last season when he won 37 games - second most in one season by a Rangers goaltender since Mike Richter won 42 during the team's 1993-94 championship season.

Lundqvist ranked fourth in the NHL in minutes played (4,108), tied for sixth in shutouts (five), tied for eighth in wins (37), was eighth in goals-against average (2.34) and tied for ninth in save percentage (.917).

The 2006 Olympic champion was hot down the stretch. In his last 44 regular-season games, he had a 1.85 GAA, a .931 save percentage and surrendered two goals or fewer 33 times. He was named first star of the week twice last March and was a finalist for the Vezina Trophy for the second consecutive season.

In the 2007 playoffs, Lundqvist had a 6-4 record, a 2.07 GAA and a .924 save percentage in 10 games. The six-foot-one, 195-pounder has more wins (67) in his first two NHL seasons than any goaltender in team history. He was the Rangers' seventh selection, 205th overall, in the 2000 entry draft.

Only one more to go with Avery, I don't think Hossa will return unless at a steep discount.

Why only sign Lundqvist for one year?

He declared for arbitration, coupled with the fact that they don't have a ton of cap space left they need more room to get a long term deal done. With money coming off of the books next season as shown here, guys like Kasparitis will not be back. Straka & Shanahan will probably not return after this season as they will be replaced by the minor league talent which hasn't existed in the organization in years..... luckily there is very skilled talent in Hartford & in the Canadian junior leagues (as well as the US collegiate programs) that can be shown here.

what are they going to do with Montoya?

IMO, that all depends on how successful they are this season...... he will most likely be Lundqvist's primary backup and see anywhere between 10-15 starts this season depending upon his competency level dealing with NHL level talent. Also depending upon his competency of dealing with that talent will wind up setting the market price for his services, if he looks like a star several draft picks or players could be had for him. This is a good problem for the Rangers to have, the only thing that bothers me about this that now with Lundqvist signing only a 1 year deal he and Montoya will be RFA's in the same season (of course anyone messing with an RFA will pay a hefty price to sign and will likely forfeit multiple draft picks).

Just my guess, he plays this year and will be re-signed and then dealt for multiple players/picks..... never easy to find top-flite goaltending.

IMO, that all depends on how successful they are this season...... he will most likely be Lundqvist's primary backup and see anywhere between 10-15 starts this season depending upon his competency level dealing with NHL level talent. Also depending upon his competency of dealing with that talent will wind up setting the market price for his services, if he looks like a star several draft picks or players could be had for him. This is a good problem for the Rangers to have, the only thing that bothers me about this that now with Lundqvist signing only a 1 year deal he and Montoya will be RFA's in the same season (of course anyone messing with an RFA will pay a hefty price to sign and will likely forfeit multiple draft picks).

Just my guess, he plays this year and will be re-signed and then dealt for multiple players/picks..... never easy to find top-flite goaltending.

Truer words were never spoken. I was worried what they were going to after Richter retired. I liked Blackburn and was hoping he would have developed into an elite goalie. Thank God for Lundqvist.