SportsWrath

Ugh, now I know why he fell to 17th.

Notes: Beavan yet to sign deal with club

Both sides agree that they are "not really close" on terms

By Drew Davison / MLB.com

Blake Beavan was the first of four pitchers the Rangers selected in the first and compensation rounds of the

ARLINGTON -- Texas' first round selection Blake Beavan, the 17th overall pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, is prepared to go to junior college if the Rangers do not match the dollar figure he is looking for.

"They're just going to have to pay what I want," Beavan said. "It's not too much. What I want is what I think I'm worth."

Beavan did not specify his "dollar figure."

Beavan is a 6-foot-7, 212-pound right-hander from nearby Irving, Texas.

If the Rangers and Beavan don't reach a contract, Beavan said he would most likely play at Navarro College, a junior college in Corsicana, Texas, next year and re-enter the draft in 2008. Navarro is one of the top junior college baseball programs in the area.

Beavan said his advisors have been handling all of the negotiations, but the two sides are "not really close" in terms of reaching an agreement.

"I'm in no rush," Beavan said. "It's a process. It's not going to be any time soon until they give us what we want."

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said, "We'd like to get all of our picks signed sooner than later. The Beavan situation is no different -- both parties have the same goal, which is get him out playing."

Beavan is coming off a dominating senior season for Irving High School. He threw 66 innings, with an eye-catching 124 strikeouts and 0.23 ERA. Beavan has been a longtime Rangers fan, but that passion hasn't led to being a quick sign.

"It's just a process," Beavan said. "There is nothing to say, except I'm playing it by ear."

What a dick! But hey, these guys with talent usually are. Sometimes it helps in their competitive mindset but to not even try and negotiate?

But hey, I got tickets to the Red Sox - Rangers game on July 2nd.

I'll have to root for the Sox, against the Rangers, and for Michael Young so long as he doesn't knock in any runs against Papelbon or Beckett.

Or I might just enjoy the game...haven't figured it out yet.

What a dick! But hey, these guys with talent usually are. Sometimes it helps in their competitive mindset but to not even try and negotiate?

I'll have to root for the Sox, against the Rangers, and for Michael Young so long as he doesn't knock in any runs against Papelbon or Beckett.

you should take me with you. :) I'm hoping to get to Camden again this year, but i dunno, looks like any trip to Arlington is gonna be put off another year also. <_<

yeah, fantasy does the same thing to me <_<