SportsWrath

A new defensive stat

Go_Eli

So this came from a thread from the site in my sig. If anyone wants to see people's comments, PM me and i'll send you the link.

Anywoo.

Is there a sabermetric stat that can show the worth of a defensive player, in this case, corners and safties?

I got to thinking that maybe there is. There has to be some formula to show that one player is better than another. People always rate guys, but how can you really say Player A is better than Player B?

I came up with a rough outline of establishing the worth of a player. Some stats are easy to find, others would take hours and hours of research and game film watching to find. You'll

Tackles + interceptions + forced fumbles + passes deflected

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missed tackles + touchdowns scored against that specific player + 1

I suppose the players with the highest number are the better players, because they would have a smaller number in the denominator. I added the +1 because if a player had 0 missed tackles (unlikely) and didn't give up a TD, his number would be undefined (can't divide by 0)

Let's really discuss this. Can it be done?

How is one going to judge a missed tackle? There are about a billion factors to take into consideration for 'missed tackle.'

Also, there is no 'stat' for 'shuting down' a receiver, which will lower your chances to have tackles, interceptions and force fumbles. There is also no 'stat' for 'Causing dropped pass' or 'intimidating WRs,' to a lesser extent...

Also, touchdowns scored against that specific player is also gay... What is the law? Only gets beaten in one on one? No Zone? What about the offensive coordinator calling the perfect play for that defensive play? Again, a little too many small factors that play in.

Sure these things are 'small' but it shows one that using statistics to judge a player is gay. Offcourse it might work, but it won't be perfect or even accurate to a level that is acceptable.

My simple answer: It's really hard to tell who's better in football using only stats!

Also, if you are using stats to judge a better player, than you'll

That's my opinion.

How is one going to judge a missed tackle? There are about a billion factors to take into consideration for 'missed tackle.'

Also, there is no 'stat' for 'shuting down' a receiver, which will lower your chances to have tackles, interceptions and force fumbles. There is also no 'stat' for 'Causing dropped pass' or 'intimidating WRs,' to a lesser extent...

Also, touchdowns scored against that specific player is also gay... What is the law? Only gets beaten in one on one? No Zone? What about the offensive coordinator calling the perfect play for that defensive play? Again, a little too many small factors that play in.

Sure these things are 'small' but it shows one that using statistics to judge a player is gay. Offcourse it might work, but it won't be perfect or even accurate to a level that is acceptable.

My simple answer: It's really hard to tell who's better in football using only stats!

That's my opinion.

Valuta Italiana-1

Go_Eli-0

If you're in position to make a tackle and fail to, hello missed tackle. Come on, you can't tell me you don't watch football and say "Wow, I can't believe he MISSED that tackle".

Valid point, but wouldn't a CB with a high number be a shut down corner?

Look at Will Allen against Santana Moss in week 16. Moss torched him. Yes, the safety help didn't exist, but Allen brought his F game that day. I also feel that kinda stuff could even out over 16 games.

That's my opinion.

Agreed, but in a different way. Using SOME statistics to judge a player is gay (i.e. Player A had 6 INTs this year, he must be a great corner!)

This is more a formula than a stat. Look at baseball, whoever expected a statistically breakdown of baseball like there is now?

But that's my opinion.

Forgot to add, all those have to be weighed differently. Tackles and INTs shouldn't equal the same thing.

The statistic of 'tackle' is one of the inaccurate stats of the NFL, sometimes, player gets a tackle when he isn't the one who tackled.

I imagine that the statistic of 'missed tackle' will be very tough.

It will depend on ones interpretation of 'missed tackle' and, in detail, if a player was in position of not. So the 'missed tackle' statistic will be like a pass interference or a holding call, it will vary from people to people. I doubt that you can have a concrete rule that describes 'missed tackle.'

I am not talking about the obvious ones, but the ones that are very tricky!