SportsWrath

draft/free agent thoughts (07/03/2006)

BigPete

Here are my current draft/free agent thoughts (07/03/2006)

let me know what you think

(This assumes that the CBA will be signed, the 2006 cap will increase by around $10 mil and the Giants will thus have around $13 mil to spend)

This also assumes Will Peterson will not be able to play

Free Agency

Resign

WR David Tyree (RFA)

TE Visanthe Shiancoe (RFA)

TE Sean Berton (RFA)

CB Frank Walker (RFA)

WR Willie Ponder (RFA)

DT Kendrick Allen (EFA)

QB Tim Hassleback

RB Chad Morton

OT Bob Whitfield

Sign

CB Sam Madison (Dolphins) 31

Madsion is a quality CB with the style of play that Tim Lewis prefers. A 5 time probowler, he adds quality experience to our young DBs. Our DEs will provide Madison more opportunities.

DT Kevin Carter (Dolphins) 32

Carter is a quality dispruptive DT with 92.0 career sacks. He can also play DE if needed, but has played the last few season primarily at DT. Playing beside Strahan and Umenyiora on a legitimate playoff contender will be very attractive.

QB Jay Fiedler (Jets) - 34

With alot of good QBs available in free agency and a strong rookie class will limit opportunities for Fiedler. Fiedler gives us a QB with alot of starting experience, who can do the job if needed. His experience will help Eli's development. Fielder would not have to relocate his family.

Draft

#25 LB Manny Lawson, North Carolina State, 6'5", 241 lbs, 4.43 40 time

An extremely fast, athletic, WLB prospect. Lawson is an awesome pass rusher, very good open field tackler and has all the tools to develop good coverage skills. Lawson will take some time to develop, but does have some experience at OLB. Lawson will slip due the the extreme depth of top talent available in the first round and at LB this year. A quality WLB to develop behind Carlos Emmons.

#56 S Jason Allen, Tennessee, 6'1", 209 lbs, 4.39 40 time

A quality, athletic, ballhawk safety with great speed, instincts and is a very good tackler. Allen could also play CB. Allen will slip because the safety and CB classes are both very deep with top talent, and the fact he is coming back from injury. An immediate huge upgrade for our secondary.

#87 CB Will Blackmon, Boston College, 6'0", 198 lbs, 4.46 40 time

An athletic, physical, ball hawk with good speed. Blackmon is very raw, he is a development CB prospect but has the physical tools to be a top NFL CB. Blackmon is a quality punt and kick returner. Blackmon would be a huge boost to our special teams. Blackmon will slip do to the number of top junior CBs in the draft.

#123 LB Leon Williams, Miami (FL), 6'3", 245 lbs, 4.54 40 time

A very fast and athletic LB. Williams has very good size and a solid physical game. Williams is a a little raw as he missed alot of 2004 due to injury. Williams upgrades our LB depth and improves our special teams. Williams is originally from Brooklyn NY.

#153 WR Brandon Marshall, Central Florida, 6'4", 229 lbs, 4.55 40 time

A talented small school WR with great size, good hands and decent speed. Marshall gives us a quality WR to develop for the future and adds competition behind our starters.

#184 CB David Pittman, Northwestern State, 5'11", 182 lbs, 4.44 40 time

A talented small school CB with good speed and great athleticism. Pittman slips due to the extreme talent available at DB in this draft.

#215 OC Pat Ross, Boston College, 6'4", 301 lbs, 4.96 40 time

Some quality depth for our interior offensive line

My Giants Roster (07/03/2006) would be something like

Offense

QB: Eli Manning, Jay Fiedler, Tim Hassleback

RB: Tiki Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Chad Morton

FB: Jim Finn

WR: Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Jamaar Taylor, David Tyree, Brandon Marshall*, Willie Ponder

TE: Jeremy Shockey, Visanthe Shiancoe, Sean Berton

OT: Kareem McKenzie, Luke Petitgout, Bob Whitfield

OG: Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert

OC: Shaun O'Hara, Patrick Ross*

Defense

DT: William Jospeh, Kevin Carter, Fred Robbins, Kendrick Allen

DE: Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Eric Moore

LB: Reggie Torbor, Antonio Pierce, Carlos Emmons, Manny Lawson*, Leon Williams*, Chase Blackburn

CB: Sam Madison, Corey Webster, Will Blackmon*, Curtis Deloatch, David Pittman*, Frank Walker

S: Jason Allen*, Gibril Wilson, James Butler

Special Teams

K: Jay Feeley

P: Jeff Feagles

LS: Ryan Kuehl

Edited by BigPete

phenomenal. almost exactly what i think. a few questions:

1. Do you think Kevin Carter is the best Tackle for the price? How does he compare to Rocky Bernard, or other FA's?

2. Do you think Jason Allen will be available in the second? If not, who would you take?

Other than that, I agree to the player. Manny Lawson is the real deal. EA's goin out big.

I'm not a Blackmon fan. it is a late pick so I can understand taking a flyer on potential, but unless he is freakishly gifted (i.e. Matt Jones) I'm not a fan of taking a guy that needs to change positions in the pros.

I think for us, he would be a good third round pick. If we sign Madison and a DT we become a contender. Blackmon would be a third round pick who at least helps on special teams and might occasionally play nickel DB for us (but probably not). Maybe when Madison's contract runs out, he's ready to start at DB. He fills that role.

Here's his scouting report:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...llblackmon.html

I think for us, he would be a good third round pick. If we sign Madison and a DT we become a contender. Blackmon would be a third round pick who at least helps on special teams and might occasionally play nickel DB for us (but probably not). Maybe when Madison's contract runs out, he's ready to start at DB. He fills that role.

Here's his scouting report:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...llblackmon.html

I've seen the profile, still not impressed, I'd stay away from him and Hester just because they dont' have a position.

I think we need to give props to EA. He has actually put the Giants in a great position. Obviously he was planning to have an offseason w/ the normal salary cap (105ish) which would give us roughly 15 mill to spend. After last years great offseason he has put us in the position to acquire a big name or 2 to fill our last remaining holes and give us a realistic chance at the SB. Hopefully this deal gets done....

phenomenal. almost exactly what i think. a few questions:

1. Do you think Kevin Carter is the best Tackle for the price? How does he compare to Rocky Bernard, or other FA's?

2. Do you think Jason Allen will be available in the second? If not, who would you take?

Other than that, I agree to the player. Manny Lawson is the real deal. EA's goin out big.

1. Kevin Carter is a very good 1 gap DT. He isn't a star, but is very productive, he has 6 sacks each of the last two seasons and has 92 career sacks. He shouldn't be too expensive and his experience will certainly be an asset.

Carter gives us a legitimate pass rush threat inside, which will mean that offenses have to account for him, they can't just double Strahan and Osi like they did last year.

2. I think Jason Allen will be available, with the very strng DB classes, he won't be able to push his way higher, another option is Daniel Bullocks (though I think he will go earlier)

I think we need a run stuffing DT and Maake Kemoeautu will do just find. i don't think he will be to costly and i take him over Clancy. At 27years old 6'5 350 would be a good signing

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/teamRo...ails.jsp?id=359

The Giants would like a big DT for sure

Maake Kemoeautu will attract big money, as will the other bigger free agent DTs

If we draft a DT, it will be a bigger DT, someone like Babatunde Oshinowo

Alot of our problems in the passing game come from a lack of our DTs to pressure the QBs, which means teams have been able to double team Strahan and Umenyiora alot. With Carter being a legitimate pass rush threat, teams will not be able to do that.

I would expect Robbins to be much better in 2006, he is the big plugger style DT. A rotation of Joseph, Carter, Robbins and Allen is very good actually

It is worth noting that two Free Agent DTs we went after in recent years were Rod Coleman and Chris Hovan, both disruptive one gap DTs

Here are my current draft/free agent thoughts (07/03/2006)

let me know what you think

Offense

QB: Eli Manning, Jay Fiedler, Tim Hassleback

RB: Tiki Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Chad Morton

FB: Jim Finn

WR: Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Jamaar Taylor, David Tyree, Brandon Marshall*, Willie Ponder

TE: Jeremy Shockey, Visanthe Shiancoe, Sean Berton

OT: Kareem McKenzie, Luke Petitgout, Bob Whitfield

OG: Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert

OC: Shaun O'Hara, Patrick Ross*

Defense

DT: William Jospeh, Kevin Carter, Fred Robbins, Kendrick Allen

DE: Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Eric Moore

LB: Reggie Torbor, Antonio Pierce, Carlos Emmons, Manny Lawson*, Leon Williams*, Chase Blackburn

CB: Sam Madison, Corey Webster, Will Blackmon*, Curtis Deloatch, David Pittman*, Frank Walker

S: Jason Allen*, Gibril Wilson, James Butler

Special Teams

K: Jay Feeley

P: Jeff Feagles

LS: Ryan Kuehl

Im only getting 51, either Im miscounting or you are two players shy of the 53 man roster.

Im only getting 51, either Im miscounting or you are two players shy of the 53 man roster.

yeah I know

add two players, most likely the best UDFAs

Will Peterson's statues still needs to be determined

we could also add another decent veteran

If we could add a free agent like LaVar Arrington, that makes a big difference

If Will Peterson cannot play, then a solid free agent like Deshea Townsend becomes a probability. Townsend would be competing with Corey Webster for the starting spot

The defensive roster would be something like:

DT

William Jospeh

Kevin Carter

Fred Robbins

Kendrick Allen

DE

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Justin Tuck

Eric Moore

LB