SportsWrath

Vernon Davis

xxi-xxv

Guest Nutty Sack
That and some Ex Lax will get him diarrahea. <_<

How refreshing. No sexual epitaths. Now if some would just open there eyes after four seasons to realize that we will never reap the true talents of this slef centered injury prone athlete.

Finally you have chosen the path of football enlightenment through the FAB 4 - you shall not regret it as you wow your family and friends with your keen football senses and insight.

Not really you moron. I agree Davis would be a great Giant, but I won't trade Shockey, unlike you.

I wholeheartedly agree that 40 times do not guarantee performance. But I'll also say that a tight end that can run a 4.4 is a major surprise. Davis rocketing up draftboards based on his combine is a yearly occurrence. Every year there are players who explode at the combine. Some follow it up on the field, some don't. Davis still has to prove himself regardless. But to slight him for where he attended college is as much a mistake as inflating him based on his running speed. As I mentioned before, Maryland was breaking in a new QB last year. A tight end can only have so much influence on his team's success. You're not really suggesting that people back off on Davis because his club went 5-6 last year are you? Does that mean Mario Williams shouldn't go top 10 because the WolfPack was a game over .500 and also played in the same conference? FWIW, Davis was already considered a first round selection. He just might go 10-15 picks sooner now.

Coming from a second rate football school(which is exactly what Maryland is) is the reason Davis' college numbers are so inflated. He was in an offense were he was the focal point. A school like Maryland doesn't have a large number of weapons. And like you said they were breaking in a new QB which means utilizing the TE more would make sense. But all in all this is not the reason I'm not as high on this kid as everyone else.

Obviously his 4.38 straight away speed is impressive. But a 40 time doesn't make the player. A TE usually runs short to intermediate routes where lateral movement is very important. He placed last in the cone drill and put up a time comparable to most lineman. And in the gauntlet drill his hands weren't as good as some of the other TE's in the drill. This is why I'm not as high on him as others here are.

I've seen film on him breaking tons of tackles in college. This type of thing will not occur nearly as often in the NFL. I'm not down on the guy nor am I suggesting teams look past him because of a 5-6 record(this statement was to show the state of the Maryland football program).I think he will be a good player. But I'm not ready to crown him the best TE prospect ever or the best TE to ever put on the pads. I just don't see how running a fast 40 can move a player up that many spots. The 40 time is so overated. The only positions I really consider this important for is CB's and WR's. Some team will draft him way to early or give up way to much to get him. And I for one am glad it won't be the Giants. Give me a proven player like Shockey any day of the week.

And once again I know he was already a 1st round pick but lets keep our heads here and not make him into some kind of a super hero. He's a talent just like all the other players that will be selected in the 1st round. But a lock he is not. The hype machine is at it again.

Revival .... I don't think we're disagreeing on most of our points. If you read the whole thread you'll likely see that the extremist views and projections are coming from the trolls.

The NFL Draft has never produced a "lock".

I'm not disagreeing with you on Davis. I think he will be good. But the over hyping is definetly annoying from the troll section.

I'm not disagreeing with you on Davis. I think he will be good. But the over hyping is definetly annoying from the troll section.

thate because they hate Shcokey, I was merely very impressed by his workout numbers and his NFL network interview. Here is a guy that did not HAVE to work out at the combine and admitidly did so because he felt it was something that could only help him and improve his status. Look at the numbers and the overall attitude of the individual and "on paper"(as at this point its all one can do) he does look impressive. I really was impressed with his interview and his wanting to participate, to me if nothing else that portrays the starting point attitude of a winning player and I am sure many teams took notice of that, not to mention the speed and strength.

Not only is he that fast but he is big as well

He's a little on the short side though compared to Shockey and Gates. I think he'll be a good player. But I'm not ready to put him on the level of the Elites.

thate because they hate Shcokey, I was merely very impressed by his workout numbers and his NFL network interview. Here is a guy that did not HAVE to work out at the combine and admitidly did so because he felt it was something that could only help him and improve his status. Look at the numbers and the overall attitude of the individual and "on paper"(as at this point its all one can do) he does look impressive. I really was impressed with his interview and his wanting to participate, to me if nothing else that portrays the starting point attitude of a winning player and I am sure many teams took notice of that, not to mention the speed and strength.

I like him too. But he is definetly being over hyped at this point. He has his weak points just like any of the other players.

Yeah he's only 6-2 or 6-3. Not very good size for a TE.

Davis measured in at 6036, which is scout terminology for 6'3 3/4 ... so he's almost 6'4.

Shockey is 6'4 1/2, Gates and Gonzalez are each 6'4, Crumpler is only 6'2...