SportsWrath

Red Sox vs. Yankees

LorfTVP

Date Player Injury

8/16/06 Octavio Dotel Reinstated from 15-day disabled list.

8/8/06 Robinson Cano Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

Miguel Cairo Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Aug. 6, with a strained left hamstring.

7/14/06 Darrell Rasner Transferred to the 60-day disabled list.

6/27/06 Robinson Cano Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.

6/15/06 Bubba Crosby Activated from the 15-day disabled list

6/11/06 Shawn Chacon Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

6/3/06 Darrell Rasner Placed on the 15-day disabled list with discomfort in his right shoulder.

6/1/06 Gary Sheffield Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 30, with a left wrist injury.

5/26/06 Tanyon Sturtze Transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.

5/23/06 Gary Sheffield Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

5/21/06 Shawn Chacon Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left leg hematoma.

5/19/06 Bubba Crosby Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring.

5/13/06 Tanyon Sturtze Placed the 15-day disabled list with soreness in the front of his right shoulder.

5/12/06 Hideki Matsui Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left wrist fracture, retroactive to May 11.

5/9/06 Gary Sheffield Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left hand contusion, retroactive to May 6.

4/30/06 Aaron Small Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

4/1/06 Octavio Dotel Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 24.

Aaron Small Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 24.

Carl Pavano Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 28.

Date Player Injury

8/1/06 Jason Varitek Placed on the 15-day disabled list with an injured left knee.

7/31/06 Trot Nixon Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right biceps muscle.

David Wells Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

7/30/06 Matt Clement Transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.

7/22/06 Tim Wakefield Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 18, with a stress fracture in the area of his rib cage.

7/18/06 Wily Mo Pena Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

7/13/06 Lenny DiNardo Transferred from the 15 to the 60-day disabled list.

6/16/06 Matt Clement Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 15, with a right shoulder strain.

6/13/06 Mike Timlin Activated from 15-day disabled list.

Keith Foulke Placed on 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 12, with tendinitis in his right elbow.

5/31/06 David Wells Placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to May 27) with a right knee contusion.

5/28/06 Coco Crisp Activated from 15-day disabled list.

Wily Mo Pena Placed on 15-day disabled list.

Mike Timlin Placed on 15-day disabled list.

5/26/06 David Wells Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

5/24/06 Lenny DiNardo Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 22, with a neck strain.

5/22/06 David Riske Activated RHP David Riske from the 15-day disabled list.

5/19/06 Mike Holtz Placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to May 17) with a left elbow strain.

5/4/06 Hee-Seop Choi Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

4/15/06 David Wells Placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to April 13) with a right knee sprain.

4/12/06 David Riske Placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to April 5) with a lower back strain.

David Wells Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

4/11/06 Coco Crisp Placed on 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 9, due to fracture of his left index finger.

4/1/06 Hee-Seop Choi Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 29.

David Wells Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 28.

Yankees injuries of note:

Gary Sheffield

Hideki Matsui

Carl Pavano

Tanyon Sturtze

Red Sox injuries of note:

David Wells

Coco Crisp

Keith Foulke

Tim Wakefield

Matt Clement

Jason Varitek

Now which teams' injuries had more of an effect on their season? Sheffield and Matsui, two incredible middle of the order hitters were missing from the Yankees lineup, but the Yankees strength enabled them to somehow survive. Imagine how good the team would have been with them. Still, in terms of pitching, Carl Pavano's absence was not huge. Sturtze's absence though really taxed the bullpen and will hurt come late season.

Now with the Red Sox injuries, we lost a big starting pitcher, Tim Wakefield, along with two who are capable of equaling Pavano's performance in Clement and Wells. Generally speaking, all four of those pitchers are equal, and we've lost three to one. Now throw in Keith Foulke who would have solidified the bullpen along with Timlin. So many situations where we had to throw in Seanez or Tavarez...ouch. Crisp's absence as the leadoff hitter hurt too, not as much as your offensive absences, but getting injured after a hot spring and a hot start and having to start all over again lost us a lot of production. We all know how much Varitek's loss means, don't even have to explain that. I'd even go so far as to mention Dinardo being equal to Sturtze in terms of value.

My personal conclusion is that injuries have hurt both teams but the Red Sox injuries, though not as high profile, hurt the team a lot more.

Without getting out my calculator, I’d estimate we lost 150 runs when Shef and Matsui went down. Cairo filled in pretty well for Cano. Sturzte, and probably Pavano I don’t even miss. Most of our injuries happened early, giving us time to adjust, especially by getting Abreu.

It hurt when you guys lost Wells early. Other than that, your serious injuries happened late, and are attacking your pitching staff hard. Timlin isn’t the same since he came off the DL. It’s also not good when you lose your main catcher, even if he wasn’t hitting his average. I don’t know that much about Crisp except he has an excellent glove. Anyway, I read where you guys were trying to trade him away before the deadline????

Anyway, because of your present pitching situation, I think you guys are in worse shape now than we were all season. I almost feel bad we’re kicking your asses this weekend.

Almost.