SportsWrath

Red Sox 2007 Starting Rotation

LorfTVP

What do you see happened to the Sox starting rotation come 2007? Schilling has made it clear that he'll retire at the end of the year at the end of his contract and he seems like the type that will stick to his word unlike a Mr. RC. Beckett, Lester, and Wakefield are pretty much sure things to be in the starting rotation with Papelbon likely going in there as well. Clement is also an option though he has to prove himself once again. I'm pretty sure the Red Sox will pursue a number one starter like Barry Zito, Daisuke Matsuzaka, or Jason Schmidt to lead the rotation followed by Beckett, Papelbon, Lester, and Wakefield in no particular order. Come to think of it, what'll the Yankees rotation be like? The turnover could be huge.

I don't believe the Sox will get Matsuzaka (Yanks or Seattle), Zito (Mets or Dodgers), but Schmidt seems to be the best fit for them. I see Papelbon giving up his closer role and become their future ace... so they will need someone better than Foulke and/or Timlin so I don't see them bidding anyone out for Zito or Matsuzaka (which will cost tons more than Schmidt) but the top closer on the market. Anyway next year for them should look something like this:

Schmidt

Beckett

Papelbon

Wakefield

Clement

-----------

6. Lester on call.

I don't believe the Sox will get Matsuzaka (Yanks or Seattle), Zito (Mets or Dodgers), but Schmidt seems to be the best fit for them. I see Papelbon giving up his closer role and become their future ace... so they will need someone better than Foulke and/or Timlin so I don't see them bidding anyone out for Zito or Matsuzaka (which will cost tons more than Schmidt) but the top closer on the market. Anyway next year for them should look something like this:

Schmidt

Beckett

Papelbon

Wakefield

Clement

-----------

6. Lester on call.

Yah, I had the same thoughts. I was discussing with my friend the other day how Schmidt would be the best fit, a number one starter who can lead the team and push Beckett. I honestly don't think Beckett's ready for the number one status yet. I predict that Lester wills tart the eyar in the rotation though, as sort of a reward for what he's done this year. Clement will either be traded in the offseason or kept around as a long reliever type...despite his hefty contract.