SportsWrath

yankees sign top international prospect

jambrosio

The Yankees signed Venezuelan catcher Jesus Montero for what one source said was a $2.2 million bonus. Yankees senior VP of baseball operations Mark Newman reportedly disputed that amount, saying it was an even $2 million.

The Yankees are reported to have signed Montero, whose physical frame gives him more present power potential than most of the players available this year. Several clubs were in on the bidding, but the Yankees abandoned their recent restraint on the foreign market. The organization has concentrated more recently on signing a larger number of players for bonuses more in line with the $500,000 paid to outfielder Jose Tabata, now the Yankees' top position player prospect.

While his bat and power potential made Montero a hot commodity, his future behind the plate may be in doubt, according to scouts with other clubs. One scout said Montero was already 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds and disparagingly compared his body to that of Henry Blanco; another said he was too stiff and lacked the athleticism to catch at the big league level.

"He has above-average raw power, a lot of power, but where do you put him?" the scout said. "I don't think he'll catch. He's a big-hipped kid and he's going to get bigger; he may have to end up at first base."

why do you say trade bait? this kid is already like the #3 hitting prospect we have now. tabata, henry/jackson and this kid

How old is he and were do you think he'll play? From the artical he's allready a tank and still is growing.

doesn't look like a tank to me :confused:

One scout said Montero was already 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds

He's a big-hipped kid and he's going to get bigger; he may have to end up at first base

I was thinking the same thing by that pic, though. He looks like a little kid, that crys becuase mom and dad send him to bed early..

How old is he and were do you think he'll play? From the artical he's allready a tank and still is growing.

they'll move him to first. personally i think duncan will end up getting traded. all depends if they end up signing pena as well