SportsWrath

NY Mets (46-28) vs. Tor Blue Jays (41-33)

mws44

Trachsel tries to win his fourth straight

New York (46-28) at Toronto (41-33), 12:07 p.m. ET

By Marty Noble / MLB.com

Every so often, Steve Trachsel gives a special performance. Witness his 1-0 victories against the Red Sox (and Pedro Martinez) and the Yankees (and Orlando Hernandez) in successive starts in 2000, and his eight innings of shutout baseball against the Giants last season in his first start after returning from back surgery.

Trachsel dropped a special one on the Blue Jays the only time he faced them as a member of the Mets in 2001. He shut them down for eight innings in a game the Mets won, 3-0, at Shea on July 15. He allowed four hits and a walk and struck out five. And again, he outperformed a name pitcher, Roy Halladay (though Halladay hadn't yet emerged).

That performance means little in terms of Trachsel's Sunday start against the Blue Jays. The only member of the Jays starting lineup that day who still is with the team is Halladay, though a first baseman named Carlos Delgado did pinch-hit and walk.

And Trachsel, who has the longest active Mets tenure among the current players, is the only player left from that Mets team.

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP Steve Trachsel (5-4, 4.67 ERA)

Trachsel has won his three most recent starts, though he hasn't pitched as effectively -- a 4.67 ERA -- as he did in his three most recent losses -- a 2.00 ERA.

TOR: RHP Josh Towers (1-8, 8.76 ERA)

Right-handed hitters are batting .372 against Towers, who is quite right-handed. They batted .292 against him during the previous three seasons.

Complete coverage >Player to watch

Lyle Overbay has batted against Trachsel nine times. He has three walks and three hits.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• SNY

On radio

• WFAN 660 AM, WADO 1280 AM (Español)

Up next

• Tuesday: Mets (RHP Alay Soler, 2-1, 3.32) at Red Sox (LHP Jon Lester, 2-0, 2.76), 7:05 p.m. ET

• Wednesday: Mets (RHP Pedro Martinez, 6-3, 3.01) at Red Sox (RHP Josh Beckett, 9-3, 4.84), 7:05 p.m. ET

• Thursday: Mets (LHP Tom Glavine, 11-2, 3.33) at Red Sox (RHP Curt Schilling, 9-2, 3.61), 7:05 p.m. ET

I don't know if any of you guys have seen any of these toronto games, but there is some fucking deuche bag at every game that blows an air horn every time one of our guys tries to swing, throw a pitch, catch a fly ball etc. I can't believe this is legal, or that the security at the stadium doesn't take it away. Man I would hate to sit next to the person that has that air horn, I think I would probably be in stadium jail by the end of the first.

I don't know if any of you guys have seen any of these toronto games, but there is some fucking deuche bag at every game that blows an air horn every time one of our guys tries to swing, throw a pitch, catch a fly ball etc. I can't believe this is legal, or that the security at the stadium doesn't take it away. Man I would hate to sit next to the person that has that air horn, I think I would probably be in stadium jail by the end of the first.

That's gotta be annoying to the fans and thats's really disruptive for the hitters. I don't know why this hasn't been taken care of but it is annoying as hell.