SportsWrath

A Cowboy Fan Grades the NFC East on Free Agency Acquisitions

BleedinBlue

Just looking for anything to do with football. So here's something to read for you football junkies. Seems it has gotten so quiet there's nothing to write about and as far as the headline making news about the Eagles cutting Jackson goes...I could care less and it bores me to tears.

Anyway - from FanSide, a Cowboy fan tries to analyze each of the four division rivals on this years free agency acquisitions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grading The NFC East Free Agent Moves

Most fans of the Dallas Cowboys have an opinion on how the Cowboys have done in free agency so far, and many of those opinions have been expressed on these pages. But what about the competition?

Historically, the NFC East has been one of the most competitive divisions in all of football, and the free agency activity of the other three members can be just as important as the moves that the Cowboys make themselves.

Who got better? Who got worse? What new faces will have the biggest impact, and which losses will hurt the most? The free agency bodies of work of all four NFC East teams are analyzed and graded, with the focus mainly on new players coming in and familiar faces on the way out (although some of the biggest moves were simply re-signing players).

Philadelphia Eagles

Key additions: Nolan Carroll, Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Maragos, Mark Sanchez, Darren Sproles (via trade)

Key departures: Jason Avant, DeSean Jackson, Michael Vick

The Eagles offseason has definitely involved the biggest names. The most impactful move looked like it was going to be the addition of versatile running back Darren Sproles, acquired in a trade with the New Orleans Saints. The Eagles backfield already featured the guy that I (begrudgingly) consider to be the second best running back in the NFL in Shady McCoy. Even though Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee has shown a propensity to be able to contain McCoy, the addition of Sproles gives offensive guru Chip Kelly another toy to play with, and makes an already dangerous Eagles offense that much scarier (at least on paper). Additionally, expect Sproles to provide a lift in the return game.

Ah, but when first the Eagles giveth, the Eagles then taketh away. Quarterback Nick Foles might have another speedy target out of the backfield, but he no longer has the services of his speedy deep threat, wide receiver DeSean Jackson, who was released on Friday amid speculation about his ties to gangs. Fair or not, the perception is that Jackson is more trouble in the locker room and off the field than hes worth for what he does on it. Jackson is coming off the best season of his career, hauling in 82 passes for 1,332 yards and 9 touchdowns. His departure is a significant blow to the Eagles offense, but truth be told, Jackson wasnt much of a Cowboy killer. Since the beginning of the 2011 season, he hasnt recorded a single 100-yard game against Dallas, nor has he scored a touchdown, averaging fewer than four catches and 50 yards per contest. Still, Orlando Scandrick and the boys likely wont be sorry to see him go.

Of their other wide receivers who were actually set to be free agents, the Eagles did re-sign both Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin, but parted ways with Jason Avant, a popular player amongst fans and teammates. Despite his strong locker room presence, a $4 million cap charge was too much for a 30-year-old receiver coming off a 38-catch season.

On defense, the Eagles upgraded their secondary, which was a major concern last season. Although they probably overpaid a bit for safety Malcolm Jenkins, hes certainly a welcome replacement for last offseasons free agent bust Patrick Chung. Former Dolphin cornerback Nolan Carroll is far from a superstar, but hes another solid player and a good tackler, and should help solidify a shaky cornerback situation a little bit.

At (backup) quarterback, Philadelphia essentially traded Michael Vick to the New York Jets for Mark Sanchez, an upgrade in my humble opinion. I know that SOUNDS crazy, but Mark Sanchez is a better BACKUP quarterback to me than Michael Vick is. Despite an obvious decline in his skills, and continued regression as a passer, fascination continues to follow Vick wherever he goes. Most of Philadelphia seems to be on board with Foles (as they should be), but at the first sign of trouble, the whispers for Vick will come back, and probably not just from the fans (Vick is notoriously popular amongst players).

In Sanchez, you have a young, but experienced, guy who is looking for a change of scenery and certainly isnt going to cause any controversy amongst the fans or in the locker room. He is also quietly the owner of a career 4-2 record and 94.3 passer rating in the postseason. For all the Buttfumble jokes (Buttfumble is a proper noun, right?) the guy has been around the block and has won. You could do worse at the backup position.

An under the radar signing who could have a fairly large impact is former Seattle Seahawk safety Chris Mar

agos, who probably wont see much time on defense, but the standout special teamer is expected to help shore up a leaky kick coverage unit.

Grade: B

(This was an A- before Jacksons release. Its hard to imagine how much of a problem the Eagles thought he could become for them to decide to completely cut ties, so maybe they did the right thing, but without knowing the whole story, and just looking at it from purely a football standpoint, hes going to be missed on the field. Otherwise, its hard to argue that the best team in last years NFC East didnt separate themselves even further from the pack. The Eagles remain the team to beat in the division.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Giants

Key additions: Quintin Demps, Trindon Holliday, Rashad Jennings, Mario Manningham, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Geoff Schwartz, Walter Thurmond

Key losses: Linval Joseph, Hakeem Nicks, Justin Tuck

No one in the NFC East was busier in free agency than the Giants. While they didnt make any headline grabbing moves, they did get better in a few key areas, most notably in the secondary and along the offensive line.

The Giants werent particularly bad at defending the pass in 2013, ranking 10th in the NFL in passing yards given up per game, but that didnt stop them from trying to bolster their secondary, adding two of the better free agent cornerbacks in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Walter Thurmond. The team announced that Rodgers-Cromartie will be their #1 cornerback, which makes sense, given that they shelled out $39 million over 5 years for his services, with $15 million in guaranteed money. Rodgers-Cromartie is a good player, but the general consensus is that the Giants severely overpaid for a talented player who has never been able to consistently produce at a high level and isnt known as a hard worker. To some, his nickname DRC is an acronym for his name, but to others it stands for Doesnt Really Care.

While the Rodgers-Cromartie signing probably received the most attention, when all is said and done, he might not even the best player at his own position signed by the Giants in 2014. That designation could go to the former Seattle Seahawk Thurmond. The most glaring concern about Thurmond is his injury history. Knee, hamstring and ankle injuries have limited him to only 34 of a possible 64 games during his four-year career. Still, Thurmond had probably his best year in 2013, helping the Seahawks to a Super Bowl championship. He is likely to man the slot corner position, where he excelled last year, logging 229 snaps and allowing only 26 catches on 38 targets for 195 yards.

The biggest losses for the Giants both came on the defensive line, with the departures of defensive end Justin Tuck and defensive tackle Linval Joseph. The departure of Tuck, a co-captain and team leader who recorded 11 sacks in 2013, will be felt both on and off the field. Surprisingly, there was very little effort to retain the 25-year-old Joseph, by all accounts a good, young player and only getting better, who quickly found a new home in Minnesota. The move (or non-move) is especially puzzling, given the recent Giants philosophy of valuing defensive line production above almost everything else.

Offensively, the Giants parted ways with wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, their 2009 first-round draft pick who was once one of the most dangerous receivers in the division, but has been a shell of himself since battling through knee and foot injuries in 2012, even though he was supposedly fully healthy in 2013. You could make the argument that Nicks, as we once knew him, has already been gone from the Giants for two years. A wild card in the receiving game is Mario Manningham, who returns to New York after a disastrous two-year stint in San Francisco. Manningham had success with the Giants and quarterback Eli Manning in the past, and maybe the reunion will go well, but not much will be expected from him.

The addition of the versatile Geoff Schwartz to the offensive line should be a major boost, and center J.D. Walton could be a solid addition, replacing David Baas, if he can return from the broken ankle that cost him most of the past two seasons. After struggling for the past two years, with aging veterans, the Giants are trying to infuse some youth and new blood into a unit that was once a strong point. Pat Flaherty is a tremendous offensive line coach, who has always done a good job getting his unit to work very well together.

Running back Rashad Jennings is a wild card. Hes believed, in many circles, to be a very undervalued player who can shine if given the chance. At the very least, his presence should motivate David Wilson, creating a healthy competition that will benefit both players.

The return game should receive a boost with the additions of Quintin Demps and Trindon Holliday, both excellent return men who also provide depth at the safety and wide receiver positions, respectively.

Grade: B-

(I like what they did in the secondary, but giving $15 million to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is really hard to justify and it hurts their overall grade, even though, in a vacuum, I like the addition. The defensive line losses could be significant, and there isnt a clear plan to replace the lost production, although I would imagine it will be addressed in the draft. Still, I think that the Giants are better now than they were when the season ended.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington Redskins

Key additions: Jason Hatcher, Shawn Lauvao, Tracy Porter, Darryl Sharpton

Key losses: Darryl Tapp, London Fletcher (retirement)

The Redskins offseason was mostly the opposite of exciting, but that might not be a bad thing, given the teams history of overspending for aging free agents whose impact on the salary cap far outweighed anything that they ever did on the field.

The biggest move for the Redskins was the poaching of defensive end Jason Hatcher from the Cowboys. Many Cowboys fans were already upset at the prospect of losing Hatcher, but seeing him go to a division rival only added insult to injury. It remains to be seen what player the Redskins actually signed. Will the soon-to-be 32-year-old remain the pass rushing threat that collected 11 sacks in 2013? Or will he turn back into a borderline starter, with only 16 sacks to his name in his other 7 NFL seasons combined? Call me crazy (like you havent already), but when a player has his breakout season at age 32, Im wary. Could it be that Hatcher wasnt used properly for most of his career in Dallas, and that he didnt get enough opportunities early on to show what he could do? Its certainly possible. But, if I had to bet, I think the Redskins will see more of the pre-2013 Jason Hatcher. If I sound bitter, like Im trying to discredit Hatcher and the signing, Ive been on the record since January that I didnt believe Hatcher was worth the contract he was going to get in the offseason. The fact that he left, and went to a division rival, has nothing to do with the type of player that I think hell be from here on out.

In the secondary, Washington added veteran Tracy Porter, who likely will be the third corner, and man the slot. Porter is a solid addition and addressed a need. After struggling in Denver in 2012, Porter bounced back with a strong 2013 campaign for the Oakland Raiders and received, mostly, an endorsement from his former coach, Dennis Allen.

The Redskins also attempted to upgrade their linebacking corps, where former Kansas City Chief Akeem Jordan is the most likely contender to make a significantly impact in 2014. Chiefs coach Andy Reid, who also coached Jordan in Philadelphia, believes that the Redskins got a solid defender and outstanding special teams player. Former Houston Texan Daryll Sharpton, who started eight games and recorded 87 tackles last season, should at least be a part-time contributor, and will likely get a chance to compete for a starting position.

On offense, it wouldnt be a surprise to see former Cleveland Brown guard Shawn Lauvao starting at one of the interior line positions, but Im not sure that hes much of an upgrade to a unit that was a constant problem last season. Lauvo is a better pass-blocker than run-blocker, which is important to a Redskins team whose biggest concern will be keeping quarterback Robert Griffin III upright, but he still surrendered 18 quarterback hurries and 4 sacks last year. I wouldnt read too much into the fact new Redskins coach Jay Gruden played against Lauvao twice a year while Gruden was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals. Ive never worked on an offensive staff in the NFL, but I would imagine that not much of Jay Grudens preparation time went into evaluating the opposing teams interior lineman.

Grade: C-

(The Redskins didnt do anything great, but they also didnt do anything stupid, and thats progress for them. Its hard to argue that they deserve anything other than an average grade, although they get downgraded slightly, because they pursued a lot of targets that ended up signing elsewhere. There was more to be done. The loss of London Fletcher is likely to hurt, but the team cant be held accountable for a players decision to retire. Ultimately, this Redskins offseason will be judged by the success of Hatcher)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dallas Cowboys

Key signings: Henry Melton, Jeremy Mincey, Brandon Weeden

Key departures: Miles Austin, Jason Hatcher, DeMarcus Ware

Unknown: Anthony Spencer

There are two fairly distinct schools of thought when it comes to the Cowboys offseason. Either they did a lot of good things heading into the future, including ridding themselves of DeMarcus Wares contract and refusing to break the bank for Jason Hatcher, or theyve completely botched their offseason, kicking one of the most popular players in franchise history to the curb and letting a breakout star head to a division rival.

I tend to fall in the former camp. While seeing Ware in a Denver Broncos uniform next season will be hard to adjust to, the Cowboys made the right call. And although Hatcher was excellent in 2013, recording 11 sacks in 15 games, hell be 32 when the 2014 season begins, and has only 16 sacks in his other 7 NFL seasons combined. The Cowboys (literally) couldnt afford to gamble that 2013 was a sign of things to come, rather than an anomaly. While you will probably see both moves have an immediate negative impact on the defense, the long-term thinking is where the Cowboys got it right.

Somehow, the release of wide receiver Miles Austin (who will be designated as a post-June 1 cut) has flown under the radar. Austin was once a dynamic receiver, and is still only one year removed from having 66 catches for 943 yards, but his recent injuries, enormous contract and the emergence of Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams and Cole Beasley made the decision to release the former Pro Bowler, whose best days seem to be far behind him, relatively easy.

The real gem of the Cowboys offseason so far is the signing of defensive tackle Henry Melton. It isnt just the addition of the player himself that should have Cowboys fans excited, but more so the way that the contract was structured. A Pro Bowler in 2012, Melton missed most of last season after tearing his ACL. The Cowboys essentially signed him to a one-year show me contract, that they can get out of easily if Melton doesnt return to the player that he was, or can turn into a four-year, $29 million deal if they like what they see. Theres almost no downside for the Cowboys in the deal, and a potentially huge upside.

More quietly, the Cowboys signed former Jacksonville Jaguar and Denver Bronco Jeremy Mincey to replace Ware (the terms replace is used VERY loosely). Questions about Minceys work ethic and focus led to his release in Jacksonville, but the Cowboys are hoping that with a change of scenery, theyre getting a player closer to the one who had eight sacks in 2011, rather than the one who had five in the last two seasons combined.

Dallas also brought in former Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden, a move that was met with much criticism by the Internet mob, who saw the names Brandon Weeden and Dallas Cowboys together and saw another opportunity to attack the NFL fan favorite punching bag team (in fairness, a lot of Cowboys fans were upset with the signing as well, for no legitimate reason). But in reality, with quarterback Tony Romo coming off back surgery, Dallas wants to limit the number reps that he has to take once OTAs and camps roll around, and Weeden gives them a cheap arm (he only counts $75,000 against the salary cap). Now, if Weeden is ever forced to see extended playing time, the Cowboys are likely in trouble, but hes perfectly suited for his current role.

The possibility that Anthony Spencer returns to Dallas remains, which certainly couldnt HURT the Cowboys on defense, especially if he returns to his pre-injury form.

Grade: C

(The Cowboys offseason wasnt spectacular, but it wasnt awful. It was average, and nothing says average more than a C. It could be upgraded if Melton returns to Pro Bowl form, and Mincey becomes a regular contributor. The losses of Ware and Hatcher hurt, but both moves had to be made. There are still holes along the defensive line and at safety, but given what the Cowboys had to work with, from a salary cap perspective, there wasnt much more that they couldve done.)

Where did Miles Austin end up?

I don't think he's anywhere yet and is still a free agent. I know a couple of years ago, he was awesome. After injuries last year though, he's a big question mark. New England has worked him out and thinking of signing him. I was thinking earlier in the off season that he'd be a good pickup, but I'm not so sure. If he'd come cheap for a one-year contract, I'd jump all over it to see if he still had anything left in the tank.