SportsWrath

GREISEN JOINS JAGUARS

Firstnten

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Carpenter builds hopes

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, April 28th, 2006

Bobby Carpenter already is a veteran of Giants training camps, though he was a little too young to really remember his first one. He was just 2 years old when he accompanied his father, Rob, to Pace University in 1985.

This summer at the University at Albany, he finally might get a chance to go back.

Carpenter, the Ohio State linebacker and son of former Giants running back Rob Carpenter, is one of a handful of players the Giants are thinking about taking with the 25th pick in tomorrow's NFL draft. And while the Giants are no longer a lock to take a linebacker after signing LaVar Arrington, the tough and talented Carpenter might be too good to pass up.

However, even if the Giants do pass on Carpenter, he is a sure bet to outdo his father, who was selected by the Houston Oilers with the final pick of the third round of the 1977 draft and played for the Giants from 1981-85. The younger Carpenter is likely to be taken in the first round somewhere - something he didn't even dream of while growing up with an NFL dad.

"He never really forced me to play football," the 6-2, 256-pound Carpenter said. "I wasn't allowed to play football until I was 13, and he coached me from then on out. But he never really pushed. He always just made sure the door was open for whatever I wanted to do, whether it was working out extra, or getting some extra film in."

The extra work obviously paid off, because Carpenter's stock didn't even drop much after he broke his right leg in the Buckeyes' regular-season finale. He was still recovering and did not work out at the NFL combine in February, and he was admittedly not 100% at Ohio State's Pro Day on March 9.

Yet he impressed scouts then by still running a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash.

Scouts consider Carpenter a strong, smart linebacker who showed a better-than-expected pass-rushing ability during his senior season. He probably could play any linebacking position, but many project him on the strong side in the NFL. And with health concerns about Carlos Emmons and Reggie Torbor, there could be a job opening at that spot on the Giants sometime in the future.

Wherever he gets drafted, though, Carpenter likely will have at least accomplished one thing.

"I just want to get drafted higher than my dad," he said.

GREISEN JOINS JAGUARS: Former Giants LB Nick Greisen agreed to terms with the Jaguars yesterday, pending a physical. He's expected to arrive in Jacksonville for the exam today.

Guest Lockhart
We can't .Eli wants a WR.

Eli wanted to be a good QB and he didn't get that, so maybe the Giants will draft a linebacker.