SportsWrath

Places where Petrus will be used this year

BleedinBlue

We all know Mitch Petrus is strong having tied the all-time record for most reps of 225 lbs and set the strength record for this year's combine.

But most people don't know that he started as a tight end and occasional fullback and actually hauled in 40 receptions for 750 yards and eight touchdowns before being put on the line as a guard. As a guard, he paved the way for a pair of 1,000-yard rushers (Darren McFadden and Felix Jones) as he moved the line out of the way.

So here's what I'm thinking.

I can see him coming in as a blocking TE in the red zone (I hate the Giants calling it a "green zone", which is like today's professors who think marking papers with green ink will make a difference, but I digress). Regardless, I love Boss and he's certainly adequate as a blocking TE and Hedgecock as fullback, but Petrus is perfect for either of those jobs when in that happless position in which we absolutely "must have short yardage" - especially in goal line stands.

Just think - if Petrus played FB for a snap, how'd you like to be the guy that gets hit first by Petrus, followed immediately by Brandon Jacobs. If that wouldn't make you flinch, you have a death wish.

On the other hand, I'm excited for the same reason on the other side of the ball with Linval Joseph being put in the defensive line in the red zone. I think he'd be the perfect lineman for goal line stands.

yeah man, seubert used to be an eligible receiver quite a bit before he came back in the starting lineup.

id have to see more tape of petrus before i think about him being fb for a snap though.

now if this guy can catch better than most other linemen out there, then that could be a potentially fun situation a few times a year.

I think Twinkle Toes Jacobs lacks the fear factor he once had....

The "shove it down their throat" , "here's what's coming, try and stop it" tactics that the Giants have employed at the goal line have had very little success for the past 2 seasons. I don't think Jacobs is a good short yardage option anymore, if he ever was.

The "shove it down their throat" , "here's what's coming, try and stop it" tactics that the Giants have employed at the goal line have had very little success for the past 2 seasons. I don't think Jacobs is a good short yardage option anymore, if he ever was.

Yah, where's the playaction in the red zone we've all been asking for years for?