SportsWrath

Eli Confirms Signature in Jerry World is His

Mr. P

This hasn't been a big story line up here but it's been a hot one in Dallas the past couple of months - especially this week leading up to the Cowboys-Giants matchup. And we've finally got confirmation on it.

The story is an Eli Manning autograph on the wall of the locker room in the Cowboys' new stadium. It was supposedly the real Manning's signature after the Giants' Week 2 victory that opened the place. It looked an awful lot like his real autograph, but it appeared to be very un-Manning-like to deface another's property.

Unless that person or organization asked for it. And apparently, they did.

"It’s a pretty common thing. I was asked to sign it," Manning said Thursday in confirming the authenticity of the signature. "It wasn’t like I just went there and signed it. I didn’t have a pen on me or anything."

(At this point, a few lockers away, DE Justin Tuck yelled, "Good job, Eli!")

Of course, below the score and the date, it reads, "First win in the new stadium," in what appears to be different handwriting than the signature. But that's certified Manning handwriting.

"It was all me," Manning said.

Manning realizes the Cowboys' fans and a few players aren't happy about it - even though, again, their locker-room worker asked Manning to sign the wall as the start of a wall of fame of sorts similar to the ones Manning has signed in Philly and Denver (among other places).

"Yeah, I’ve heard a few things about it," Manning said. "But they’ll eventually get over it."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/12/ny_giants_quarterback_confirms.html