SportsWrath

Carr

Lughead

Carr drives Giants’ prep

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Last updated: Saturday December 27, 2008, 2:23 PM

BY VINNY DITRANI

STAFF WRITER

Comment on this story Email this story Printer friendly version Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size

EAST RUTHERFORD — Eventually the Giants will name a Most Valuable Player for their offensive team, an MVP for their defensive team and one for their special teams. They may already have one for their scout teams.

David Carr, the backup quarterback to Eli Manning, has appeared in just two games and thrown just one pass this season. The onetime No. 1 overall draft pick by Houston in 2002 figures to see his first substantial action Sunday in relief of Manning in the regular-season finale against Minnesota.

His value to this team, however, has come on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, not Sundays.

"He is terrific," said Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo of the man who runs the offensive scout team each week, preparing the Giants’ defense for what it will see from the opposing quarterback.

"The nice thing about Dave is when you face a team that has a scrambling quarterback, he can scramble; and when you face a team that drops back, he can do it.

"He is a very talented guy, and what a great guy. He does anything you ask. I will go over and nudge him and say, ‘Hey, can you do this on this one?’ and he is great, he is terrific. We have really benefited by having him."

This certainly wasn’t what Carr expected in his seventh season when the then expansion Houston Texans selected him No. 1 in 2002. In his five seasons in Houston he experienced a few ups but a lot of downs, with a 22-53 record as a starting QB while getting pummeled much of the time. He was sacked 249 times in 76 games.

His experience was quite the opposite of another No. 1 overall pick. Manning came into a situation which was settling quickly under Tom Coughlin in 2004, and has enjoyed decent pass protection most of the time.

"Jealousy might be a good word," Carr said with a smile about his feelings toward Manning. "Just looking around the league at different guys and different situations guys get thrown into, it’s the luck of the draw. I wouldn’t trade anything that happened. I was happy to be in Houston. I had some great times there. We didn’t win as many games as we wanted to but I made some great friends, we had some good experiences and I got to play ball."

Carr knew he would not play much when he signed with the Giants in the off-season, considering Manning’s talent and durability. After an injury-marred season in Carolina, however, he was looking to regroup and perhaps for a place to start in 2009. He says he hasn’t yet thought that far ahead, however.

"I learned a lot just being around this group," he said. "I think I said it when I got here just watching them through the playoffs they were a group of guys I wanted to be around. I didn’t know anything about them, but once I got in here it was how it should be. This is winning football."

He says he’s been particularly impressed how the Giants’ backup players are ready to step in when needed, and wants to be ready if he has to play in the postseason. Getting some work Sunday would help him in that regard.

"Sure, I’d love to get in there and throw the ball around a little bit," he said. "It’s fun watching them go through everything and prepare. But there is something you miss at the end of the week after you sit there in the meeting rooms and talk about the same things that Eli is talking about. So, yeah, for sure, I’d love to get in and throw the ball around a little bit."

EAST RUTHERFORD — Eventually the Giants will name a Most Valuable Player for their offensive team, an MVP for their defensive team and one for their special teams. They may already have one for their scout teams.

David Carr, the backup quarterback to Eli Manning, has appeared in just two games and thrown just one pass this season. The onetime No. 1 overall draft pick by Houston in 2002 figures to see his first substantial action Sunday in relief of Manning in the regular-season finale against Minnesota.

His value to this team, however, has come on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, not Sundays.

"He is terrific," said Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo of the man who runs the offensive scout team each week, preparing the Giants’ defense for what it will see from the opposing quarterback.

"The nice thing about Dave is when you face a team that has a scrambling quarterback, he can scramble; and when you face a team that drops back, he can do it.

"He is a very talented guy, and what a great guy. He does anything you ask. I will go over and nudge him and say, ‘Hey, can you do this on this one?’ and he is great, he is terrific. We have really benefited by having him."

This certainly wasn’t what Carr expected in his seventh season when the then expansion Houston Texans selected him No. 1 in 2002. In his five seasons in Houston he experienced a few ups but a lot of downs, with a 22-53 record as a starting QB while getting pummeled much of the time. He was sacked 249 times in 76 games.

His experience was quite the opposite of another No. 1 overall pick. Manning came into a situation which was settling quickly under Tom Coughlin in 2004, and has enjoyed decent pass protection most of the time.

"Jealousy might be a good word," Carr said with a smile about his feelings toward Manning. "Just looking around the league at different guys and different situations guys get thrown into, it’s the luck of the draw. I wouldn’t trade anything that happened. I was happy to be in Houston. I had some great times there. We didn’t win as many games as we wanted to but I made some great friends, we had some good experiences and I got to play ball."

Carr knew he would not play much when he signed with the Giants in the off-season, considering Manning’s talent and durability. After an injury-marred season in Carolina, however, he was looking to regroup and perhaps for a place to start in 2009. He says he hasn’t yet thought that far ahead, however.

"I learned a lot just being around this group," he said. "I think I said it when I got here just watching them through the playoffs they were a group of guys I wanted to be around. I didn’t know anything about them, but once I got in here it was how it should be. This is winning football."

He says he’s been particularly impressed how the Giants’ backup players are ready to step in when needed, and wants to be ready if he has to play in the postseason. Getting some work Sunday would help him in that regard.

"Sure, I’d love to get in there and throw the ball around a little bit," he said. "It’s fun watching them go through everything and prepare. But there is something you miss at the end of the week after you sit there in the meeting rooms and talk about the same things that Eli is talking about. So, yeah, for sure, I’d love to get in and throw the ball around a little bit."

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Carr in action. I sincerely hope he does well so we can resign him and have a legit backup. Not that I hope Eli goes down and we have to rely on a backup QB but anything can happen and I hope we have a backup that can get the job done.