SportsWrath

Daniel Murphy 2

jranieli

I like this kid but there is something that worries me a little bit, but in reality it should not. This also applies to Evans but has been doing a much better job as of late. I am trying to speak about Murphy's ability at this point to hit the ball to the opposite field. He has done a great job of that but as of right now, I am not sure if he has pulled the ball at this point. I remember when Scott Rolan was in AAA up here and he had a hard time pulling the ball and it took him an extra year of AAA ball to learn that skill. He hit everything to the opposite field. BTW, I am not comparing him to Rolan but just his similarities when he was young.

off the top of my head i remember him lacing a couple of balls over the second basemen's head, and one ripped over first base hit so hard he turned it into a triple.

this isnt scott rolen. it's not surprising he had trouble pulling early in his career because typically the better younger hitters go the other way more often in the early parts of the career and pull more when they get more comftorable (i remember keith said this when talking about wright).

except rolen kind of has that david eckstein stance where he's so crowded over the inside he'd have a tougher time getting the swing through to pull it because he couldn't catch up to the major league baseball. that's probably why they sent him to the minors and adjust his swing swightly so he could be quicker on the inside pitch.

murphy doesn't crowd himself over the plate nearly as much and is going the other way because that's where teams are pitching him and he knows how to hit them.

i'm not a batting instructor but that's my two cents on this.

I like this kid but there is something that worries me a little bit, but in reality it should not. This also applies to Evans but has been doing a much better job as of late. I am trying to speak about Murphy's ability at this point to hit the ball to the opposite field. He has done a great job of that but as of right now, I am not sure if he has pulled the ball at this point. I remember when Scott Rolan was in AAA up here and he had a hard time pulling the ball and it took him an extra year of AAA ball to learn that skill. He hit everything to the opposite field. BTW, I am not comparing him to Rolan but just his similarities when he was young.

So if it takes Murphy another year to adjust, so what? He's not supposed to be here yet, anyway. What I like is his selective approach at the plate. :TU: