SportsWrath

Eli expects Shockey back

Lubeck

This is not news and the story seems designed to inflame the issue.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202008/sport...hock_111710.htm

ELI READY TO 'SHOCK'

By DAN MARTIN

May 20, 2008 -- Eli Manning Eli Manning is still making the rounds as the reigning Super Bowl MVP, but with mini-camp less than a month away, the quarterback is looking forward to ending the tour and moving on to the season.

And he is confident that Jeremy Shockey Jeremy Shockey will be there with him.

The combustible tight end, who missed the Giants New York Giants ' title run with a broken ankle, was shopped before last month's draft, but ended up remaining with the team when the team didn't get its asking price. Manning expects to see Shockey next month.

"I've been in touch with Jeremy," Manning said. "We've just gotta get everybody back."

When asked if he thought Shockey would be among those returning, Manning said, "I think so. I think Jeremy will be back and ready to play."

As in years past, the oft-injured Shockey has spent the offseason in Florida and Manning continues to insist that he's not bothered by his target's absence, even as other players like Plaxico Burress have altered their offseason schedules to work with Manning in New Jersey.

"That's what he's always done and he always comes back in great shape," Manning said of Shockey. "He's a tremendous player and he makes tremendous plays for us. I don't see that changing."

While Manning and his teammates await the return of Shockey - and the potential return of Michael Strahan - the QB continues to be reminded of how last season ended. Last night, he was at Mulino's in White Plains on behalf of the Guiding Eyes for the Blind Golf Classic, which will be played next month.

Manning's childhood friend's father, Pat Browne, is one of the top blind golfers in the country and was also in attendance.The tournament has already exceeded last year's number of participants, likely due in part to Manning's reversal of fortune with the Giants.

"I don't know if it's changed my life," Manning said of winning the MVP. "I'm just trying to enjoy the championship and I think I've got most of that out of my system."

Manning remembers well the tumultuous times of a year ago, when both he and coach Tom Coughlin seemed to have their futures in doubt prior to the Giants making their stunning postseason run. And he knows that winning 10 consecutive road games isn't likely to happen again this year.

"We can definitely get better," Manning said. "Last year, at the end of the season, we were playing better than everybody else and we got hot at the right time. We want to do that over the whole season and not of any of the downs that we had in the past."

Shopped? He wasn't shopped the Saints came to the Giants with an offer. Shopping a player is letting it be known he can be had for a price and going out looking for trading partners.

I am glad though to see Eli using his fame to benefit some charities. That is a pretty cute dog if you go to the link.

The combustible tight end, who missed the Giants New York Giants ' title run with a broken ankle, was shopped before last month's draft, but ended up remaining with the team when the team didn't get its asking price.

Not much that is factual in that paragraph at all. Remember a time when journalists reported facts and truth?

Not much that is factual in that paragraph at all. Remember a time when journalists reported facts and truth?

No not really. Can you give us a timeline when journalists did not selectively give "facts"?