SportsWrath

Keepers

LorfTVP

So yah, I'm coming to you guys for advice in FB, believe it or not. I'm in a keeper league and my top guys are Pujols, Abreu, Cabrera, Wright, Helton, Reyes, V.Martinez, and Halladay. The top four are set as Pujols (2), Abreu (10.67), Wright (11.86), and Cabrera (11.57). The rankings are from averages I made from ESPN, TSN, MLB, FOX, SI, Yahoo, and Funston's Big Board. But yah, I can't decide between Helton, Reyes, and Martinez. I'm not gonna bother with Halladay because pitching is harder to get. Helton will give me a huge boost in BA but he plays at a deep position and my BA will be set with Pujols and Cabrera. Victor Martinez is the best at a weak position but his ability is average when compared to the other names. Reyes is one of the tops at SS and could carry my team in steals...add those to Abreu's steals and there's about 90 right there. I'm leaning towards keeping Reyes as my fifth keeper but I dunno...what do you guys think?

I think Helton will start to fall off the map this season and become more of a .270 type hitter. So I wouldn't keep him. Victor intrigues me considering this is supposedly his breakout year. But you don't need average and you could use team speed. All of the guys that you are going to start have proven to be consistent with their averages, hovering around .300 or possibly even higher. So what Reyes has to offer can overmatch the fact that he may bat around .275 or something like that. You're going to have the RBIs, the HRs, the BA, but now you need speed.

I think Helton will start to fall off the map this season and become more of a .270 type hitter. So I wouldn't keep him. Victor intrigues me considering this is supposedly his breakout year. But you don't need average and you could use team speed. All of the guys that you are going to start have proven to be consistent with their averages, hovering around .300 or possibly even higher. So what Reyes has to offer can overmatch the fact that he may bat around .275 or something like that. You're going to have the RBIs, the HRs, the BA, but now you need speed.

That's what I was thinking...but I wholeheartedly disagree with your Helton statement. This man batted .320 last year and has a career .337 BA. He still had a robust .445 OBP which was tops in the major leagues, .005 over Jason Giambi. He has a career .374 BA at Coors and a respectable .297 career BA elsewhere. He hit .353 after the break. There's no way he'll hit .270 unless he decides to play the season swinging with one arm.

That's what I was thinking...but I wholeheartedly disagree with your Helton statement. This man batted .320 last year and has a career .337 BA. He still had a robust .445 OBP which was tops in the major leagues, .005 over Jason Giambi. He has a career .374 BA at Coors and a respectable .297 career BA elsewhere. He hit .353 after the break. There's no way he'll hit .270 unless he decides to play the season swinging with one arm.

Maybe I've got a bias towards Helton but I just don't like him. Sometimes when I think about Todd, I don't really believe what I'm saying about him. I guess playing in Colorado really does hurt New Yorker's opinions of players doesn't it?