SportsWrath

Lorenzen Article.

Nesta

Lorenzen Continues To Impress

QB Jared Lorenzen is having a great start to training camp and continues to improve.

By Adam Streicher, Giants.com

Take this story to go! - RSS | Podcast | Mobile

July 31, 2007

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Few reserve quarterbacks in the NFL have as many nicknames as Jared Lorenzen.

At 6-4 and 285 pounds, the quarterback is often referred to as the “Hefty Lefty,” but he is now getting noticed for something else – his talent. Though training camp is only four days old, the third-year pro has been very impressive and has been electrifying the Albany crowds.

“So far I am having my best camp yet," Lorenzen, Eli Manning’s 26-year-old backup, said today. “I understand a lot more this year. I might not be throwing as well as I did, but I understand the offense a lot more and I now verbalize a lot more with other players and during meetings.”

Lorenzen played only briefly in three regular season games in 2006. His first career game action came when he filled in on punt coverage on Oct. 8 versus Washington. On Dec. 30, also against the Redskins, he picked up two yards and a first down on a quarterback sneak on third-and-one. He repeated the feat a week later in the Wild Card Game at Philadelphia.

In 2005, Lorenzen was inactive for all 16 games as the Giants' third-string quarterback. After signing with the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2004, he participated in the team's mini-camp but spent the season on the Reserve/Did Not Report list, as he missed training camp for personal reasons and returned to his home in Kentucky.

Lorenzen understands that no matter how good he looks at training camp, people will always question him until he plays well in a meaningful game.

“You really don't know how you will perform until you are thrown into the fire," Lorenzen said. "I like to think I can go in there and get it done. I have the trust from my teammates that they know I can make the throws. I love playing here and I love being a backup, but at the same time, I'm preparing to be a starting quarterback.”

Despite all his waiting, Lorenzen seems to have all the patience in the world and is in no rush to become a starter.

“It makes being a backup easy when you have somebody like Eli in front of you,” Lorenzen said. “He is my age, we came in together and we are friends. I grew up playing against him in college and I watched him and kept track of him in high school.”

Though Manning's success at Ole Miss may have overshadowed Lorenzen's at Kentucky, the two were routinely considered the Southeastern Conference’s two best quarterbacks during their tenures. Lorenzen was a four-year starter and set six NCAA records, four SEC records and 11 school records, including those for passing yards (10,354), completions (862) and touchdown passes (78). He was a two-year semi-finalist for the Davey O'Brien award and was the second-team All-SEC quarterback in 2004 (Manning made the first team).

He points to these facts when people question his desire or his ability to play football because of his size.

“It isn't that I don't care,” Lorenzen said. “I started four years in the SEC, one of the toughest conferences in America and I have a ton of numbers, if you are into that sort of thing. I know I can play. I am in shape now and I understand what's going on. I just have to go out there keep proving people wrong.”

Though not a speed-burner, Lorenzen has demonstrated an ability to move around the pocket despite his size.

“I'm just big, that's just the way it is,” Lorenzen said. “I read the stuff out there and I think it's hysterical. (People say) ‘He's all red-faced.’ Well of course I am, I'm big and I'm sweating, but that doesn't mean I'm tired.”

Of more concern to Lorenzen than his weight is his competition for a roster spot with returning backup Tim Hasselbeck and newcomer Anthony Wright.

“Anthony definitely has a lot more experience that I do and Tim does, too,” Lorenzen said. “I'm trying to pick up as many things as I can every single practice and pick up where I left off last year. I'm a lot bigger than those guys so I'm a lot harder to take down and I this is my third-year in this system, so I understand a lot more what needs to be done.”

But Lorenzen knows the weight issue is always going to be a topic of interest. After hearing about it for as long as he can remember, Lorenzen has gained the ability to zone it all out and just worry about his game. He has also learned to laugh about it.

“I occasionally find myself on the Giants.com message boards,” Lorenzen said. “I always laugh when there's someone praising me, because the next post is always, ‘Oh, that fat guy can't do anything.’ It's just everything I hear or read is in one ear out the other, positive or negative, and I'm going to focus on becoming a better player.”

So far, it seems like his strategy is working perfectly.

Lorenzen Continues To Impress

QB Jared Lorenzen is having a great start to training camp and continues to improve.

By Adam Streicher, Giants.com

Take this story to go! - RSS | Podcast | Mobile

July 31, 2007

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Few reserve quarterbacks in the NFL have as many nicknames as Jared Lorenzen.

At 6-4 and 285 pounds, the quarterback is often referred to as the “Hefty Lefty,” but he is now getting noticed for something else – his talent. Though training camp is only four days old, the third-year pro has been very impressive and has been electrifying the Albany crowds.

“So far I am having my best camp yet," Lorenzen, Eli Manning’s 26-year-old backup, said today. “I understand a lot more this year. I might not be throwing as well as I did, but I understand the offense a lot more and I now verbalize a lot more with other players and during meetings.”

Lorenzen played only briefly in three regular season games in 2006. His first career game action came when he filled in on punt coverage on Oct. 8 versus Washington. On Dec. 30, also against the Redskins, he picked up two yards and a first down on a quarterback sneak on third-and-one. He repeated the feat a week later in the Wild Card Game at Philadelphia.

In 2005, Lorenzen was inactive for all 16 games as the Giants' third-string quarterback. After signing with the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2004, he participated in the team's mini-camp but spent the season on the Reserve/Did Not Report list, as he missed training camp for personal reasons and returned to his home in Kentucky.

Lorenzen understands that no matter how good he looks at training camp, people will always question him until he plays well in a meaningful game.

“You really don't know how you will perform until you are thrown into the fire," Lorenzen said. "I like to think I can go in there and get it done. I have the trust from my teammates that they know I can make the throws. I love playing here and I love being a backup, but at the same time, I'm preparing to be a starting quarterback.”

Despite all his waiting, Lorenzen seems to have all the patience in the world and is in no rush to become a starter.

“It makes being a backup easy when you have somebody like Eli in front of you,” Lorenzen said. “He is my age, we came in together and we are friends. I grew up playing against him in college and I watched him and kept track of him in high school.”

Though Manning's success at Ole Miss may have overshadowed Lorenzen's at Kentucky, the two were routinely considered the Southeastern Conference’s two best quarterbacks during their tenures. Lorenzen was a four-year starter and set six NCAA records, four SEC records and 11 school records, including those for passing yards (10,354), completions (862) and touchdown passes (78). He was a two-year semi-finalist for the Davey O'Brien award and was the second-team All-SEC quarterback in 2004 (Manning made the first team).

He points to these facts when people question his desire or his ability to play football because of his size.

“It isn't that I don't care,” Lorenzen said. “I started four years in the SEC, one of the toughest conferences in America and I have a ton of numbers, if you are into that sort of thing. I know I can play. I am in shape now and I understand what's going on. I just have to go out there keep proving people wrong.”

Though not a speed-burner, Lorenzen has demonstrated an ability to move around the pocket despite his size.

“I'm just big, that's just the way it is,” Lorenzen said. “I read the stuff out there and I think it's hysterical. (People say) ‘He's all red-faced.’ Well of course I am, I'm big and I'm sweating, but that doesn't mean I'm tired.”

Of more concern to Lorenzen than his weight is his competition for a roster spot with returning backup Tim Hasselbeck and newcomer Anthony Wright.

“Anthony definitely has a lot more experience that I do and Tim does, too,” Lorenzen said. “I'm trying to pick up as many things as I can every single practice and pick up where I left off last year. I'm a lot bigger than those guys so I'm a lot harder to take down and I this is my third-year in this system, so I understand a lot more what needs to be done.”

But Lorenzen knows the weight issue is always going to be a topic of interest. After hearing about it for as long as he can remember, Lorenzen has gained the ability to zone it all out and just worry about his game. He has also learned to laugh about it.

“I occasionally find myself on the Giants.com message boards,” Lorenzen said. “I always laugh when there's someone praising me, because the next post is always, ‘Oh, that fat guy can't do anything.’ It's just everything I hear or read is in one ear out the other, positive or negative, and I'm going to focus on becoming a better player.”

So far, it seems like his strategy is working perfectly.

Thats the first thing I thought of when I read he reads giants.com, him bein called a fat slob. Im glad he doesnt let it get to him. Nice article.