SportsWrath

Cross him off the list!

RaginCaucasian

Linky

Updated: Jan. 19, 2007, 2:33 PM ET

Cubs sign Samardzija to five-year, $8 million deal

Notre Dame wide receiver Jeff Samardzija has decided to forego a pro football career for that of a baseball pitcher -- and he'll be well compensated for it.

The Chicago Tribune reported Friday that Samardzija had signed a five-year deal to play baseball full-time, starting in the Chicago Cubs' minor league system.

ESPN.com's Wayne Drehs reports the deal is worth $8 million, guaranteed.

When the Cubs drafted Samardzija in the fifth round last June, giving him a $250,000 signing bonus, he intended to play both football and baseball professionally.

Last season, Samardzija pitched for Class A Boise and Peoria, where he finished a combined 1-2 with a 2.70 earned run average. He struck out 17 and walked 12 in 30 innings.

He is expected to start the season in Class A Peoria, where Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg will be the manager.

Well, I hope he enjoys playing for a douchebag manager as Pinella isn't a guy with a "soft approach".

ugh, he should have played both. I know the Cubs were pressuring him not to, but I think this is a mistake. He's going to crap out in their system and not even get a play in pro sports.

Like Drew Henson?

Drew Henson thought he could play baseball too, untill he found out that he couldn't hit a curveball. <_<

I wonder if he is trying to pull the Elway, threaten a team by signing to play in another sport?

Like Drew Henson?

Drew Henson thought he could play baseball too, untill he found out that he couldn't hit a curveball. <_<

I wonder if he is trying to pull the Elway, threaten a team by signing to play in another sport?

He signed a deal and made a committment. This is no threat.