SportsWrath

post CBA - Free Agency / Draft thoughts (9/3/2006)

BigPete

The Giants were around $2 mil under the planned $94.5 mil salary cap

The Giants were give an extra $1.2 mil from the NFL due to "Likely to be earned" incentives which were included in the 2005 salary that weren't actually earned. (eg: Will Peterson's contract)

Barrett Green will be officially released once the 2006 season officially starts

freeing up $1.375 mil in 2005 cap space

the salary cap went up from $94.5 mil to $102 mil (an increase of $7.5 mil)

which makes the Giants around $12.075 mil under the 2006 salary cap

Here is how I would look at investing it:

(let me know what you think)

resign:

WR David Tyree (RFA) - long term deal

TE Visanthe Shiancoe (RFA)

TE Sean Berton (RFA)

CB Frank Walker (RFA)

WR Willie Ponder (RFA)

QB Tim Hassleback

DT Kendrick Allen (EFA)

RB Chad Morton

OT Bob Whitfield

Sign:

CB Sam Madison (Dolphins) 31

DT Ryan Pickett (Rams) 25

QB Jay Fiedler (Jets) 34

LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) 27

evaluate Will Peterson, if there are still doubts about his ability to play this season, then release him and sign:

CB Deshea Townsend (Steelers) 30

Free Agent thoughts:

Townsend and Madison provide quality experience while our young talented CBs develop. Townsend will be competeing with Webster for the 2nd starting position

Pickett solidifies our DTs. Pickett will upgrade our run defense, he can also collapse the pocket, which will result in more opportunities for Strahan and Umenyiora.

Fiedler adds a solid veteran with good starting experience

Arrington adds a quality WLB. EA will still draft a quality WLB to develop behind him though.

free agency must keep the draft in mind.

Draft:

best value players at need positions, something like:

#25 LB Manny Lawson, North Carolina State, 6'5", 241 lbs, 4.43 40 time

#56 S Jason Allen, Tennessee, 6'1", 209 lbs, 4.39 40 time

#87 CB Will Blackmon, Boston College, 6'0", 198 lbs, 4.46 40 time

#123 LB Leon Williams, Miami (FL), 6'3", 245 lbs, 4.54 40 time

#153 WR Brandon Marshall, Central Florida, 6'4", 229 lbs, 4.55 40 time

#184 CB David Pittman, Northwestern State, 5'11", 182 lbs, 4.44 40 time

#215 OC Pat Ross, Boston College, 6'4", 301 lbs, 4.96 40 time

my roster (9/3/2006) would be something like:

Offense

QB

Eli Manning

Jay Fiedler

Tim Hassleback

RB

Tiki Barber

Brandon Jacobs

Derrick Ward

Chad Morton

FB

Jim Finn

WR

Plaxico Burress

Amani Toomer

Jamaar Taylor

David Tyree

Brandon Marshall*

Willie Ponder

TE

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

Sean Berton

OT

Kareem McKenzie

Luke Petitgout

Bob Whitfield

OG

Chris Snee

David Diehl

Rich Seubert

OC

Shaun O'Hara

Patrick Ross*

Defense

DT

William Jospeh

Ryan Pickett

Fred Robbins

Kendrick Allen

DE

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Justin Tuck

Eric Moore

LB

Carlos Emmons

Antonio Pierce

LaVar Arrington

Reggie Torbor

Manny Lawson*

Leon Williams*

Chase Blackburn

CB

Sam Madison

Deshea Townsend / Will Peterson

Corey Webster

Will Blackmon*

Curtis Deloatch

David Pittman*

Frank Walker

S

Gibril Wilson

Jason Allen*

James Butler

Special Teams

K Jay Feeley

P Jeff Feagles

LS Ryan Kuehl

Edited by BigPete

You're doing it again, Pete. These FA's are going to cost MUCH more than you think. From your list, I think we can only afford one of those guys and then a middle of the pack player. Madison and Arrington will probably each get 4-5 million per year, we can't even afford just those two. I see us pursuing Madison aggressively. After that we should have enough money to sign a solid DT (but not elite). Either Tripplett or Keowanu should be reasonably priced. We will then have just enough money to sign rookies and a couple of backups. We just don't have the funds to have an offseason like we did last year.

Nice draft though.

I agree with Armstead98, too many FA signings. Plus it's pointless to go after Madison AND Townsend. We drafted Webster for a reason and he deserves his shots. Yeah, he made mistakes but he was also a rookie. He will be a starter for us next year if Will P. can't play, and we'll find out if he has the stuff or not.

You're doing it again, Pete. These FA's are going to cost MUCH more than you think. From your list, I think we can only afford one of those guys and then a middle of the pack player. Madison and Arrington will probably each get 4-5 million per year, we can't even afford just those two. I see us pursuing Madison aggressively. After that we should have enough money to sign a solid DT (but not elite). Either Tripplett or Keowanu should be reasonably priced. We will then have just enough money to sign rookies and a couple of backups. We just don't have the funds to have an offseason like we did last year.

Nice draft though.

I disagree

I would imagine that Madison, Arrington and Pickett could be signed for a similar contract to that signed by Antonio Pierce

(Pierce agreed to a six-year, $26 million contract that includes a $6.5 million signing bonus)

Pierce's contract has a first year cap value of around $1.6 million

Any more and they will be out of our price range. EA isn't going to shell out huge money when decent cheaper alternatives exist. I do think these will be reasonable contracts for these guys.

It is also worth remembering that both the CB and LB markets are flooded this offseason, players are not going to get as much as they expect.

Fielder and Townsend will be considerably cheaper.

other decent options:

DT

Grady Jackson (Packers)

Larry Tripplett (Colts)

Ma'ake Kemoeatu (Ravens)

LB

Tommy Polley (Ravens)

David Thornton (Colts)

even if you have average 2006 cap number of $1.8 mil (quite generous) each for those 5 FAs that is only $9 mil, which still leaves $3 mil for rookies

we have more cap room than we did last year, but EA is not going to throw money at players to sign them. Whoever we sign, it will be at a reasonable price.

Townsend is desirable (although not essential) if Will Peterson isn't likely to play.

Edited by BigPete

Ponder makes the team? I'd rather replace him with another safety ... entering the season with 3 safeties seems a bit low. That, or give his roster spot to Damane Duckett, who is a pretty decent player IMO.

I think the Giants will add at least 1 free agent WR. I cannot see them entering the season with Plax, Toomer, and bunch of questions marks.

Pickett and Kemoeatu are intriguing guys. After Trevor Pryce, they'd be my next two choices in terms of FA DTs. Although I'm firmly on the Brodrick Bunkley bandwagon if the Giants land Madison and LaVar.

Leon Williams is a good find ... he did really well in workouts and has very good size. The question with him is health. I wonder if he has the versatility to play outside ... maybe one of our resident Miami experts can comment on him, because I haven't seen much of him to have a strong opinion. I'll ask around. Another OLB to consider in the 4-5 rounds is Clint Ingram from Oklahoma, who I like a lot.

I'll do my best to revise my own offseason plan before FA starts, but I don't know if I'll have time. Kind of a busy stretch with school work. :brooding:

Interesting comment about Bunkley if we get Madison AND Lavar. If we get Lavar as well as Madison, I think I'd rather see us use our top pick on a corner. Madison is a short term solution and with the deep draft at CB we should be able to get a good player. Ty Hill and Cromartie come to mind.

The thing about Bunkeley is that he might actually contribute THIS YEAR, which would be huge. DT would be the only spot on the field (other than maybe FS) where I think a rookie would have the chance of starting (or at least playing a huge role) from day 1. If the FO thinks that Bunkley has that type of potential, Id be all for it.

Interesting comment about Bunkley if we get Madison AND Lavar. If we get Lavar as well as Madison, I think I'd rather see us use our top pick on a corner. Madison is a short term solution and with the deep draft at CB we should be able to get a good player. Ty Hill and Cromartie come to mind.

The thing about Bunkeley is that he might actually contribute THIS YEAR, which would be huge. DT would be the only spot on the field (other than maybe FS) where I think a rookie would have the chance of starting (or at least playing a huge role) from day 1. If the FO thinks that Bunkley has that type of potential, Id be all for it.

I just think a DT with Bunkley's ability (great speed and quickness, 44 f'in reps!) would be a steal at 25. The guy was a playmaker at FSU ... 9 sacks in 2005 and 2nd in the nation in TFLs. He'd be the final piece to a dominant DL. If we had him, then by the time midseason roles around, me and you could be the starting CBs and we'd still kick ass on defense.

I don't see the point of keeping Hasselbeck if you are getting Fiedler. I'd rather lose him, and get a low draft choice/UDFA. At best, you develop a second-stringer or trade bait, at worst, you cut him after a year and start again. If you are down to your 3rd-stringer, you're screwed anyway.

I'm curious what Jennings can do. Ponder is a great KR, but doesn't seem to be going anywhere as a WR. Jennings was a KR in NFL-E, might as well see what he can do as a WR. It would be nice to see Taylor stay on the field as well.

I just think a DT with Bunkley's ability (great speed and quickness, 44 f'in reps!) would be a steal at 25. The guy was a playmaker at FSU ... 9 sacks in 2005 and 2nd in the nation in TFLs. He'd be the final piece to a dominant DL. If we had him, then by the time midseason roles around, me and you could be the starting CBs and we'd still kick ass on defense.

sounds pretty nice. madison and webster doesnt sound too shabby either. i dont think we get arrington though...

even if we dont get him, we should take a hard look at bunkley anyway. a sims or lawson probably doesnt start or get too much playing thime this year, whereas a bunkley might.

The other think we could consider if we signed Arrington is to trade down

possibly our #25 to a team such as detroit for their #40 and #74

Manny Lawson may not be available at #40, but we should be able to draft Demeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson or Thomas Howard at #40

the extra pick could be very useful

we could sign some very interesting players depending on how things fall

possibly:

DT Babatunde Oshinowo

OT Andrew Whitworth

WR Derek Hagan

It depends on how players fall. I am not sure Ernie Accorsi will trade down if Brodrick Bunkley or Manny Lawson are available at #25

I don't mind the idea of a free agent WR such as Jabaar Gaffney or Corey Bradford.

It could depend on Will Peterson though, if he isn't healthy then a solid FA CB is very usefull. If Peterson is healthy, then we would be free to invest in a free agent WR

a solid free agent S is also an option, but personally, I think CB, DT and OLB are our top free agency priorities

Yea I agree, but ya know Im starting to think Bunkley wont last til 25. He is easily the second best DT, and its hard seeing him fall out of the top 20 now after that combine. So are we willing to trade up for him? Shit IMO, if we happened to land Lavar and Madison I wouldnt mind trading up for him at all.

If we sign LaVar Arrington and Sam Madison,

one thing I would seriously consider is trading our #25 for an extra day 1 pick. Possibly to a team like Detroit for their #40, #74

I would then consider drafting:

#40 LT Daryn Colledge, Boise State, 6-4 3/8, 299 lbs, 5.04 40 time

#74 OC Greg Eslinger, Minnesota, 6-3 1/8, 292 lbs, 5.13 40 time

and cement the future of our offensive line