SportsWrath

Giants would "consider" Manziel

Bigblue25

NFL Draft 2014: If Johnny Manziel falls, Giants would seriously consider taking him, source says

By Jordan Raanan/NJ.com

Follow on Twitter

on May 08, 2014 at 12:05 PM, updated May 08, 2014 at 12:34 PM

NEW YORK -- If you believe the reports, apparently every NFL team is interested in Johnny Manziel, but who will actually select the lightning-rod quarterback in the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday night?

The St. Louis Rams, at No. 2, make sense. The Jacksonville Jaguars, at No. 3, are an option. The Cleveland Browns, at No. 4, would fill a need. The Oakland Raiders, at No. 5, wouldn't be ridiculous. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, at No. 7, might make the most sense.

And the Giants at No. 12?

If Manziel slides to them, the Giants would seriously consider drafting him, a person with knowledge of the team's draft philosophy told NJ.com. The person claims the Giants would have that discussion (and likely already have chatted about the possible scenario), despite having two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback Eli Manning on the roster.

Of course, the Giants could be feigning interest to coax a trade from a team that wants to move up to No. 12 for Manziel. It's not known if the Giants would consider any of the other top quarterbacks in that spot.

The Giants aren't expected to draft a quarterback, but -- with them being high on Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater -- it's not crazy.

Manning is 33, coming off his worst professional season and underwent ankle surgery this offseason. He's signed through 2015, and the Giants opted against extending his contract this offseason in order to lower his exorbitant $20.4 million cap figure. They were willing to absorb the hit and take a wait-and-see approach with him.

Manziel could be the Giants' Aaron Rodgers under Brett Favre. Manziel could benefit from working alongside Manning for several seasons.

"If there is a quarterback up there when we're picking at the right time, we won't be afraid to pick him," general manager Jerry Reese said at the NFL Combine. "I don't think it's going to present itself in the first round. But we're not afraid."

Reese probably didn't expect that Manziel would actually be available when the Giants pick 12th. Just hours before the draft, it appears there is a chance, and the Giants are prepared.

There are many possibilities with Manziel, who could slip into the second half of the first round as NFL Network's Mike Mayock predicted in his mock draft. How the round unfolds with Manziel and the other top quarterbacks (including Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr) could determine whom the Giants select with the 12th pick in the first round.

Fewer quarterbacks selected means fewer non-QB options when Giants' selection arrives. If no quarterbacks are selected among the first 11 picks, it could mean the Giants miss out on the offensive lineman (Zack Martin) they covet at No. 12. If one or two quarterbacks are selected, Martin or another top linemen could be available.

Manziel and Bortles are the most likely quarterbacks to be selected in the Top 11 picks. But not everyone believes they're worth that kind of investment.

"I have only one Top 10 worthy [QB] and that is Bortles," Draft Insider's Tony Pauline said. "I have three first-round worthy: Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr, although I do think that Manziel is going to be selected in Round 1."

As with everything in this year's NFL Draft, it seems to revolve around Johnny Football. Just how much do teams covet his total package?

"I look at Johnny Manziel, whatever it is, he has it," Mayock said last week. "I know on Saturday, Sunday, whatever day you play on, he's going to show up with an edge about him -- thinking he's the best guy on the field and he's going to elevate the play of those around him. I believe that. I also struggle with him a little bit with his off-the-field antics."

Opinions vary around the league. Some believe Manziel is the next Russell Wilson ... or better.

"Hit or miss? What are they talking about? He's a better passer and has a better arm than the guy who just won the Super Bowl," an AFC executive said. "Does he have a gun? No. But his arm is good enough."

And then there are those who believe Manziel's reckless style and lack of size will be a problem at the professional level. Pauline likely represents the view of at least a few teams.

"The things that made him so exciting, so successful, so enjoyable to watch on the college field is going to be a detriment at the next level," Pauline said. "He plays with reckless abandon. It's great to watch but it's not going to last long in the NFL. The way he flings the ball up in the air and when things are breaking down hopes for the best and Mike Evans was able to go up and use his 6-4 1/2 frame and 35-inch arms and grab the ball in front of a crowd of people. That is not going to work at the next level."

That is still to be determined. But one thing is certain when it comes to Johnny Manziel. The conversation never stops. And it's one that will likely be had in a lot of War Rooms on Thursday night, including maybe even the Giants.

http://teamstre.am/1qiPcg4