SportsWrath

Chad Jones Participating in Off-Season Workouts

Balloonknot

http://blog.nj.com/giants_impact/print.html?entry=/2012/04/giants_chad_jones_participatin.html

Giants' Chad Jones participating in offseason workouts as recovery from leg injury continues

Published: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 3:05 PM Updated: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 3:08 PM

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

While we wait for the schedule - and yes, I'm not just waiting but also trying to extract at least some pieces of info - here's a note I know you're all interested in hearing. (And I know this because we discussed it in the comments section on Monday.)

Chad Jones is participating in the Giants' offseason workouts, marking his first activities with his teammates since he suffered horrific leg injuries in a June 2010 car accident.

This isn't breaking news or anything, as Jones has been saying since last year he'd be back in action this spring. He recently said in an interview with Newsday he was looking forward to coming up here this week.

"It's something I've been working toward for the last two years, ever since the day of my car wreck," Jones told Newsday. "It's just going to be a great feeling being back there in a football atmosphere, being around teammates and being in a different city and being where Giants fans are. Everything will be picture-perfect."

I'm told Jones was outside running today. He's continuing his rehab here at the Giants' facility after working with physical therapist John Moran for nearly two years in New Orleans.

To clear up two things, though:

--It sounds like Jones must still be cleared by the Giants' medical staff before returning to football activities. There was talk a while ago he had passed a physical but that was not one performed by the Giants. His working out right now is simply a continuation of his rehab.

--Jones did not sign a contract extension, as had been reported down in New Orleans. He merely lowered his base salary in the next two seasons. He was already signed for two more years.

So in short, Jones is here working out with the Giants, just as he promised he would. Next month, we should have a better idea for whether this remarkable comeback can be completed. And in the meantime, we'll keep you posted on his progress. (The first open locker room for reporters is on Thursday.)