SportsWrath

Eli Manning will not have surgery on injured right foot

Mr. P

manningjpg-59dfc8fb4ba5ac74_large.jpg

Several Giants will go under the knife this offseason. But quarterback Eli Manning is not one of them.

After playing through an injured right foot all season -- first the plantar fascia injury he sustained against Kansas City in Week 4, then the resultant stress reaction in the foot -- Manning said he will not require surgery and expects that with rest he'll be "100 percent in the next few weeks."

"It's feeling good," Manning said. "Just a little rest, and it should be back to new."

Manning said the original plantar fascia injury hasn't been a problem for a while, but rather it's the nagging soreness from the stress reaction that has lingered. He also doesn't think this is a condition he has to worry about moving forward, or will be more prone to developing again.

"I don’t think so, because the heel really feels fine," Manning said. "The original injury isn't a problem. It's more often you start walking a little different, doing other things, and get a little sore that became not a problem, but became what was sore. There's nothing you can do for it, and I think it will heal by itself."

WR Mario Manningham said the shoulder injury which kept him out of two games this season, including Sunday's finale against the Vikings, is bruised "really bad" and he'll see on Thursday if he needs surgery on it.

G Rich Seubert is traditionally mum on injuries and didn't provide specifics on if he'll need offseason surgery on the shoulder injury that forced him to wear a harness all season. "We'll see what they do with me," he said.

RT Kareem McKenzie, who missed the last three games with a sprained knee, said "I don't know as of yet. That's something we'll have to wait and see," when asked what the offseason rehab will involve, and if it will include surgery.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/01/ny_giants_qb_eli_manning_will_1.html