SportsWrath

A look ahead to NY Giants vs. Carolina Panthers preseason game

jranieli

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/08/a_look_ahead_to_ny_giants_vs_c.html

I knew the next game preview I wrote would be Giants-Panthers.

I just thought I'd be writing it on Friday, Jan. 16, not Monday.

These two teams appeared destined for a rematch in last season's NFC Championship game when they earned the top two seeds in the conference heading into the postseason. Until they both lost their first playoff games and watched the Eagles and Cardinals play for the right to go to the Super Bowl the following week.

Monday night, in their first game action since their disappointing playoff losses, both teams will begin their 2009 preseasons, as they try to get back to being the top seeds in the conference -- and actually doing something with that distinction this time around.

MONDAY NIGHT'S GAME: vs. Panthers, 8:15 p.m., ESPN

PLAYERS TO WATCH

There are obviously over 100 players to watch Monday night, but each of us only has two eyes. So this section, as always, will be dedicated to the players I'll be watching live. The rest I'll clean up during in-stadium replays or when I re-watch the broadcast. Here are the top five players I'll be watching:

WR Derek Hagan. Okay, let's make it the top six I'll be watching because JV said everything I wanted to say (and more) here.

WR Mario Manningham. The last extended look we took at Manningham in live game action was the preseason finale against the Pats last year when he made an outstanding catch on a tip to himself. It was one of five catches he made that night, and it was one of a series of heads-up plays he made after returning from a groin injury that limited him for most of camp. Once the season rolled around, we saw a lot less of Manningham, though the Giants did try to take advantage of his speed after the catch with a reverse and some short passes in limited action during the regular season. Monday night, Manningham figures to get the most first-half snaps he's seen as a pro. When he does, I'll be looking to see more instinctive plays, more speed after the catch and more of another thing he does well: getting off the line quickly against press coverage.

WR Ramses Barden. Yes, I know I've listed all receivers so far, but it's because these guys are not only playing the position that needs the most help, they're also among the more intriguing players on the team. How can you not want to see a 6-6, 230-pound wideout in his first pro game -- especially after he's been tearing up backup defenders and making one-handed catches at UAlbany? Barden has been extremely impressive so far. And if he's lined up on the field at the same time as Hakeem Nicks, I'll be watching the big guy. I'll be looking for game speed now because we'll have a much better feel for it than we do during team drills in camp. If he's not fast enough, we'll know. My sense is he will be and that we're all overrating this whole speed thing anyway. He'll get going and if he's got a shot at a jump ball with another defender, my money's on him.

DT Jay Alford. For the past two weeks, we've been watching him shoot into the backfield almost as quickly as the quarterback. But sometimes, he's been quicker than the ball (i.e. offsides). When that's happened, there's just been a quick whistle, a couple of groans and a reset of the ball. If Alford jumps Monday night, there will be yellow hankies and a 5-yard penalty. Still, lately he's cut down on the number of times he's jumped early and has still managed to find his way into the backfield. A lot of those plays were against O-linemen who are working on their footwork and technique and (while they may never publicly say it) are just trying to get through camp healthy. Monday night, Alford will face players who will be going at him a lot harder. I'm curious to see if he can beat those guys off the ball and flash into the backfield on a couple of occasions.

RB Danny Ware. Does everyone remember his 10-carry, 97-yard performance late in the game against the Browns last preseason? That was all well and good, but what I'd like to see is what he does if and when he gets the ball a tad earlier in the game. Will tacklers be bouncing off him the way Cleveland's third-stringers were? Or will those 22-yard runs be limited to 7-yarders when the first tackler actually, you know, tackles. You've got to figure the Giants won't use Brandon Jacobs very much Monday night (if I were them, I'd actually wrap him in bubble wrap for most of the preseason), so we're likely going to see a lot of Ahmad Bradshaw and Ware early. When we do, I want to see what Ware can do to create more than what he's given in terms of holes by the O-line.

LB Jonathan Goff. Here's a guy we haven't seen much of at all. Goff got hurt on one of his first couple of snaps in his rookie debut and was out for the rest of the preseason. During the year, injuries limited him once again. And when he did see the field, it was only on special teams. Well, Monday night we'll get a good peek at Goff. The big thing I want to see is how physical he can be. I wonder if a rookie season chocked full of injuries will make him more tentative or more aggressive. You would think a player who suffered through a couple of injuries might be more hesitant and worried about hurting himself again. But often, those players realize the aggressor feels less pain than the passive player. Plus, being a physical presence is also what you want from a middle LB. With limited contact in camp, Goff hasn't had a chance to fully get after it. Monday night, when he sees a different colored jersey, he will.

AN OPPOSING PLAYER TO WATCH

Panthers C Mackenzie Bernadeau. I got to hang out a bit with "Mack" this summer because he was in the area working out with Joe DeFranco of DeFranco's training in Wyckoff. Bernadeau won DeFranco's strongman competition in July, edging out a few other players, including Texans rookie LB Brian Cushing, who was none too happy he lost. Bernadeau was a seventh-round pick last year when he became the first player ever drafted from Bentley College. From what he and others tell me, he's coming along pretty darn well and is destined to be a starter in the future. Since the Giants have so much depth on their D-line, I figure Bernadeau will be an interesting guy to watch. There could be some good matchups with him and the Giants' DTs.

ONE MORE THING TO WATCH

The snaps of the backup centers (Adam Koets, Tutan Reyes, Kevin Boothe). Based on their rate of fumbles (which, to be fair, has been trimmed lately), we're going to see at least one ball on the ground Monday night. If not, it'll be a big victory for those guys.

THE LINE: Giants by 3, Over-under 32 1/2.