SportsWrath

Brandon Jacobs 3/13/07

Lughead

Ralph V.....link

Jacobs: You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

We are still experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand … no, wait. It looks like the blogs are back up and running. To celebrate, this will be another “bonus features” edition of The Blue Screen.

79b05k57.jpgUndoubtedly you all read my story on Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns in today’s Daily News. Here are a few extras from my interview with Jacobs, just for you:

Daily News: Reuben Droughns is smaller than you, but has a similar running style. Is that a problem?

Brandon Jacobs: This year, I’m bringing a lot more to the table. I’m going to try to keep myself out of the situations where I’ve got to just run over people all the time. I’m going to get my hips right, make people miss and be able to do more of that. You’re going to see him doing more of that running-over stuff -- which I don’t mind doing if I had to do it, but if I had a choice, that’s not the one I’d pick.

DN: Well, you are pretty good at running over people …

BJ: I most definitely can do it. That’s not even a thought. I can do that. I just want to bring the other part of my game out that you really haven’t seen yet.

DN: Is that because you haven’t had the opportunity to really show off your speed and moves?

BJ: Right. I just didn’t have a legit opportunity to be able to show people what I can do. Of course my teammates, they know what I can do. Tiki knew what I could do. (Running backs coach Jerald) Ingram knows what I can do. So does the organization. But Tiki was The Man. I didn’t mind complementing Tiki at all. He worked hard to get to where he is now. He was The Man.

DN: Did you keep tabs on the Giants’ search for another running back?

BJ: Yeah, I followed the whole thing. But they weren’t looking for a starter. They were looking for that veteran guy who’s been around the game for a while. That’s what they got in Reuben. Reuben has been around the game a long time. He’s made some noise. He’s done well. It’s going to be a pleasure to play with him.

DN: Did part of you not want them to bring in another back, so you’d get a full load of 30-35 carries per game?

BJ: That’s just not the way of the NFL anymore. You’ve got to be smart knowing that you want to be able to play a long time. Carrying the ball 30-35 times a game – which I know I probably can do – it’s not good for me in the long run, and it’s not good for our team if our back is always banged up and can’t practice week to week if he’s taking too much (of a pounding) in the game. It’s good to have a second back to come in and take 10-15 carries and gain some yardage.

DN: You sound confident that your team is going to be all right, even though its best player has retired. Is that accurate?

BJ: Oh yeah, things will most definitely be all right. People should not worry about us as an offense taking steps back because Tiki’s gone. Tiki was a tremendous player in our offense and he did things well. I learned as much as I can from him, and I’m taking stuff I learned from him and just applying it to what I do.

There are unfortunately still a few glitches and gremlins in this new Web site and with our E-mail server, so if there’s a delay in my blogging, responding to your E-mail, or any problems with your posts, please be patient. Our web guys will get this thing rolling in the right direction eventually.

Remember, no one is perfect. Just ask the idiots on the NCAA tournament selection committee.

In the meantime, do yourself a favor and check out The Daily Blahg – Filip Bondy’s new blog. He’ll make you laugh, he’ll make you cry and he’ll make you want to throw a soccer ball through a window. But if it's anything like the Diaries he does from Wimbledon, the Olympics, the World Cup, and all the other strange places he goes to, his blog'll be worth bookmarking.

is the real Filip Bondy a member of Sportswrath?