SportsWrath

Chiefs President/GM Carl Peterson

Lughead

controversy LINK

Chiefs sign Huard; Green’s status in doubt

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs agreed to contract terms today with Damon Huard, leaving in doubt the future of Trent Green as the starting quarterback.

The three-year deal is worth $7.5 million plus some performance incentives. Huard would have otherwise been an unrestricted free agent on Friday.

Huard said the Chiefs made him no promises about being the starting quarterback.

“All of that is up in the air, I guess,” he said. “I’m not real sure what’s going to happen there. We didn’t talk a whole lot about that. Nothing was guaranteed to me. I’d love to have the chance to be the guy.”

President/general manager Carl Peterson was unavailable for comment. But Peterson has said he would ask Green to take a pay cut from his scheduled base salary of $7.2 million.

Green’s agent, Jim Steiner, told The Kansas City Star this morning he has not heard from the Chiefs regarding a revised contract for Green.

Huard replaced the injured Green for eight games last season and outplayed him. The Chiefs went 5-3 with Huard as their starter and Huard wound up the season as the AFC’s second-rated passer behind only Peyton Manning of Indianapolis.

Sounds like Green's day's in KC are numbered